Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster mgt 4.60 teardown

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 AM
prstyle69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster mgt 4.60 teardown

Hey all. Quick guestion, When should first be taken apart for maintenance? I want to make sure that Im doing it at the right time. Also what are som of the must have items for maintaining the Monster 4.60? Thanks all.[8D]
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Ewanni

Default RE: Monster mgt 4.60 teardown

I have some input but I'm not the most experienced MGT user, just keep that in mind. I can let you know about stuff I know as a beginner. For more advanced advice, a lot of people here can help you also.

If you mean taking out the electronics/servo section, engine, tank, and transmission for cleaning, I'd say when you think you need to. Or if it's not too dirty, just wait until a repair requires you to take the truck apart.

You should get a hex driver set in metric measurements: .5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, and so on. They're easier to handle than the L shaped allen wrenches and will keep the work secure so you're less likely to scrape and strip a hex screw head. At least that's how it worked for me. The 2mm one seems to be used a lot so I got a separate stronger MIP brand one.

At least one extra sponge set for the air filter and a bottle of Associated's pre-filter treatment. I keep one oiled up and ready in a plastic bag while the other is on the truck. When it's dirty, I replace the outer sponge. With an extra, you can change while you're still driving the truck.

Zip ties come in handy. The nipples on the fuel tank for some reason are slimmer, so I secure the tubes with a zip tie around the tube, below the nipple, as recommended to me by a hobby store guy.

Anything you can think of to brush dirt off the truck: 99 cent tooth brush, cheap electric tooth brush, long bristle brushes, paper towels, towels, compressed air can(or better yet a compressed air machine), etc. Nitro cleaner is great, but careful with the electronics and wires.

I got a whole new air filter set so that with the black neck part, instead of putting the sponge part on, I air sealed the top end with layers of saran wrap and rubber bands. That way when I spray nitro cleaner on the truck, I can put this on to seal up the carb hole and avoid getting any cleaner substance on the real air filter's sponge.
It may also keep the inside of the engine air tight when not in use, but I'm not totally sure about that. Maybe if you also plug up the exhaust pipe hole too. But if you burn the remainder fuel residue after each use, it shouldn't matter.

Definitely have a temperature reader if you don't already have one. It's a little device you hold at the engine head to read the temperature.

A failsafe is a good idea for the safety of the truck. It just applies the brakes if it loses signal from the transmitter or if the battery goes low.

Blue lockthread(a glue-like substance) for the nuts that hold the tires in. And always keep them screwed in all the way. I already made the mistake of letting one get loose and I stripped the hex hole in the rim, making it a circle instead. [:@] I had to wait til today to pick it up from the hobby store.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:27 PM
scottywilkes

Default RE: Monster mgt 4.60 teardown

i say tear it down as soon as u take it out of the box, no RTR is perfect from the factory, i like to tear all mine down and put them all back together again, that way i know everything is tight, threadlocked and correctly installed, and u learn alot about the truck, i do this to all my RCs when i get new ones.

Also every bash i clean most of the trukc up, i leave it all in 1 piece and just use a brush etc to clean it, then once a month i have a solid clean, tear the truck down, clean all the parts up re apply threadlock, grease diffs etc, and get all the crud from everywhere. This way the bearings stay in good condition and i can find out if there are any broken parts that need to be replaced.