Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else ever drowned their truck in water? Please comment

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Has anyone else ever drowned their truck in water? Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Has anyone else ever drowned their truck in water? Please comment

Just accidently ran my GST 7.7 truck into a hole that had 3 feet of water in it. Their planting trees around the compound and these holes have been there for 3 weeks waiting for the lazy bums to plant them, So i THOUGHT i knew where they all were but one was sneaky and i couldn;t see it from where i was at. well At the last second i saw the truck going straight for it, i hit the brakes but it was to late (by this time i was already running towards it) and it dived in...literally totaly under the water and floated back up, just when i got to the hole it was tipping on its left side going down so i jumped in to save it. Well i took all my electronics out and apart and they are drying, receiver, servo's switch etc etc. I already turned the truck over and cranked it to get any water out and let it sit and dry upside down for a little while then i put in after run oil in there and cranked it till it punked the oil out the exhaust.

Just curious if any of you have any other tips of what to do.

Also i'm wondering if anything like this has happened to any of you, and if so what was perminently damaged, was the engine fine still or what not, please feel free to comment, add advice, or tell me your story if somehting like this has happened to you.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone else ever drowned their truck in water? Please comment

Might want to clean the transmission and diff cases out, and smear some fresh grease on the ring and pinion gears. Might want to order some spare bearings too.

I've had two go in water now, and I've been lucky both times. Just clean it all up and let everything dry out, hopefully it will be okay. My father flipped my LST2 into a ditch one time and it went completely under like yours did.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
jonnymac

Yeah with the exception of the electrics there shouldn't be anything wrong that can't be fixed by a complete stripdown.
Tear the engine down and clean it completely. Strip the transmission and completely clean it. The chassis will be fine washing as normal. Make sure your elecs are completely dry before you try it out. You may be lucky but you may not.
Clean your carb throughly and throw away your air filter and get a new one.
I just hope you don't need to buy new servos, receiver etc
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
JUCD VPR

Did your LSt2 recover ok? Anything fry or anything like that? What did you do for the engine? Did you just dry the electronics like i'm doing?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

Yeah with the exception of the electrics there shouldn't be anything wrong that can't be fixed by a complete stripdown.
Tear the engine down and clean it completely. Strip the transmission and completely clean it. The chassis will be fine washing as normal. Make sure your elecs are completely dry before you try it out. You may be lucky but you may not.
Clean your carb throughly and throw away your air filter and get a new one.
I just hope you don't need to buy new servos, receiver etc
Yah i hope i don't also, i've gotten water in other trucks before but never this much, this is the first time anything has actually went UNDER WATER lol other times i've just let things dry and they were fine, hmm we'll see?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
jonnymac

Just remember muddy water is suspended particles in water. Its not the water that damages engines its the particles.
If water went in the engine DON'T risk it. Strip it clean it and put it back together or you will be buying a new piston and liner next.
Let us know on the elecs. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 AM
JUCD VPR

Good point, i guess i will tear it apart. Never actually took apart a nitro engine before. I guess it can't be to hard since i am good with real engines. Dang this sucks lol.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
jonnymac

Its not hard, I quite enjoy it.
It gives you a chance to check out your liner for what porting you can do on it once its been through 5 gallons [8D]
Old 04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Chronic

The LST2 still belonged to him at the time, and I really didn't put the effort into that I should have... but everything was fine anyway.

I removed all of the electrical and dried it up as best I could with a paper towel and some light compressed air. I didn't completely disassemble the engine, I left the internals in place and simply flushed it out.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
JUCD VPR

Good to know, so maybe there is a chance it'll still work once i break it down, wait for everything to dry and then put it back together. I HOPE SO!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: Chronic

The LST2 still belonged to him at the time, and I really didn't put the effort into that I should have... but everything was fine anyway.
[X(] If you do that to your dad, you're not having a go with my truck!! Lol
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Chronic

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

ORIGINAL: Chronic

[X(] If you do that to your dad, you're not having a go with my truck!! Lol

If I flipped your truck, then I would do what it took to fix it. If YOU flipped your truck into the water, I'd be more than willing to HELP fix it... after I quit laughing.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
JUCD VPR

Haha yah i was laughing and cursing at the same time it happen, just my luck to,i wasen't suprised something like this happened, if it's not one thing it's another. EVERY SINGLE truck i own right now is BROKEN! I'm so tired of buying parts lol
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Alteramod

haha yeah I have had one happening where we ended up under water. My buddy had his xxx-t mf2 and about 500 bucks with radio, servos, motor, esc, tires, and every thing to set it up. Carpet season was over so we were at a parking lot racing around. I had my xxx-t mf that I payed 200 bucks for and up decent radio, basic esc , and motor and never worried about the set up to much. So I had a 280 dollar car compared to my buddies 600. He fipped it over by me and I put it on its wheels and held front end up so it would wheelie and he went strait for a bit but then hooked left into a puddle..... kinda funny it hit and sat there for a min then went down like a brick. He was pretty bumped out cause it fried his esc so I asked em if he would feel better if I took mine through it. Just messing around he said yeah so I floored it aiming for a spot to enter to hydro across, ended up hitting a bump before the water and it went in air and landed right in the middle [:@]. So I fried my $20 esc.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Snaut Rocket

all of those are broken
1/5 scale FG MT, Cen GST 7.7, Losi LST2, Jato 3.3, RS4, E-Savage, E-Maxx, Stampede XL-5, Hydrofoam
Old 04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
JUCD VPR

Everything except the LST2 which is coming in the mail.

The 1/5 scale FG MT SHOULD be up and running tomorrow. Waiting for the steering servo to completely dry, it got a little water in it but after drying out started working again.
E-maxx - shock tower's busted + body posts
E-savage ~ 2 bevel gears
stampede ~ ESC fried and waiting for a new one it the mail and a 15T pinion gear
GST ~ water logged waiting for parts to dry to see what the damage is.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:01 PM
JUCD VPR

JAto 3.3 + RS4 just got fixed back home by the local hobby shop, but the jato still has broken a arms and shock cab, RS4 is fine now but i'm selling both of these.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Ya even his new 1/5th, he took it mudding and cooked the servo[sm=lol.gif]

I had the same problem but in to cases, one i was driving my radio shack car and i drove it off the drive way into my the drain pipe hole[:@] let dry worked fine, Play with e-zilla plunge into same hole, wasen't as lucky, esc worked, one motor worked, 2x batteries, steering nope. new servo and batteries runs fine on one motor. P.S. Its fun sticking ur hand in water with 2x 7.2 4200 packs fully charged, ZAAAAAAAAP F***! That was fun

Dang u beat me! I thought u had another servo?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 PM
JUCD VPR

I do but it seems this one started to work so no need to install the other new one yet. I'll just wait till its fully cooked. Just installed the DDM pipe today also, so tomorrow everything goes back together and i'll see if everything works right. i think it'll be good then its time to tune the big beast.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Good luck man!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
concept1
My Feedback: (2)

not to worry you will be just fine, just open up the electronics and let them dry, I would recomend spraying some electric parts cleaner on them as well. as for the engine, personally i would pull the plug, spray some wd40 in it and fire it up. unless the water was real dirty. I have run boats for years and sunk and flipped many, never had any engine problems if you run it after, just run it slow for a bit then let her rip. in boats I sealed the electronics but would flip fairly often which submerges the engine. clean water will not hurt it, it's the dirt you need to be carefull of. a teardown is the safest bet if you are concerned. but water will only hurt it if it sits in the bearings and causes rust.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
JUCD VPR

Well hopefully you are right. Your at least giving me some hope and making me feel better lol
It was dirty water so i should take it apart just to be safe.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: pythonfan
P.S. Its fun sticking ur hand in water with 2x 7.2 4200 packs fully charged, ZAAAAAAAAP F***! That was fun
That wouldnt zap you.....
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 PM
steven16

and make sure your engine didnt hydro lock it happens when water gets in to your engine while its still runing which stops it but could have bent you rod from the water not compressing when the pistions still going up
Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: pythonfan
P.S. Its fun sticking ur hand in water with 2x 7.2 4200 packs fully charged, ZAAAAAAAAP F***! That was fun
That wouldnt zap you.....
I was thinking the same thing lol

Man i hope it didn't bend anything, i'll see here soon enough when i take it apart!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.