Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

STS 28/30

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 AM
jonnymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS 28/30

I know these engines need to be run in according to instructions.
Can somebody let me know the break-in procedure? I just wanted to know what it is before I buy one.
It looks like I can't get the SH at the price I wanted so it might be an STS.
Also is there much difference between the .28 and .30?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:57 AM
jonnymac

Default RE: STS 28/30

Thanks for all responses
I went with a mach 427 instead. At least it SH based.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally would've taken the Mach anyway.. Maybe not as powerful, but more user-friendly...
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 AM
jonnymac

Thanks. Makes me feel a little better.
Its just when I buy an engine I want to know I got the best I could afford.
I know the mach is fairly good and I got it for $119 so that cheered me up lol
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 AM
HerrSavage

'Course, would've taken the Axial over the Mach...

(JK... I would though.. But Machs have a great rep..)
Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 AM
jonnymac

I looked at them, but they are a complete unknown to me. I didn't think it worth the gamble.
I've heard some good things but also some not so good, and I like the spares availablity for the mach.
As long as it gives me a huge power increase over my OS RG thats in it at the moment I'll be happy
Old 04-22-2007, 05:41 AM
HerrSavage

What truck is it again?? The Mach 427 throws my 10-ton LST2 around surprisingly well...
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 AM
jonnymac

Its an MGT. I got it second hand so the stock motor was in a pretty poor state so I put my spare buggy engine in.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:29 AM
rclynx

I'm suprised that you gave the LST such a light rating
What truck is it again?? The Mach 427 throws my 10-ton LST2 around surprisingly well...
I had to laugh because the other day a family came into my store and there little boy went straight at an LST that was in for repair and sitting on the floor. The parents started after him and I told them to let him have fun he couldn't hurt it. Kid was there for 15 or 20 minutes trying to move it and pick it up like his dad was doing with an MGT. It was really funny and I would have to give that a 12.5 ton rating
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 AM
HerrSavage

I've said it before, but it really is true.. If I take my Savage and Lightning GT out, I can ask my girlfriend to carry either no prob.. 50 yards, 100 yards, no prob.. The LST2 though is simply out of the question..
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
duckedup

A pound or 2 makes that much difference huh? lol..
Old 04-23-2007, 12:03 AM
HerrSavage

The LST2 is at least five pounds heavier than my Lightning GT.. And even if it is only two pounds, it's somehow a very noticeable two pounds...
Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
art_vandalay

This is what I was told for break-in procedure for the STS .30 Rev2 from sts-pro on ebay (who is suppose to be extremely good with this engine).

I called him after purchasing the engine and he talked to me for about an hour about this engine and his experience with it.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS WORD FOR WORD. MY DICTATION SKILLS AREN'T PERFECT WHILE ON THE PHONE HAVING A CONVERSATION.

STS .30 Break-In Notes

Leave all shims in for break-in

Leave factory needles as rich as you can without killing it for break-in

On first start heat the engine with a hair dryer till hot, and loosen the glow plug enough to start it.

Keep Temp between 200-240 during break-in
for 2-3 minutes at a time, never going past 1/2 throttle, then shut off, return piston to BDC and let cool until ambient temperature is reached

repeat this heat cycle until you've gone through atleast 6 tanks of fuel at no more than 50% throttle, remember to keep your temperatures in the range

After 6+ tanks lean a little and work up to WOT and continue heat cycle until 1/2 gallon.

After break-in tune for total performance

Remove all shims except one aluminum shim (for 30% Nitro, which is what he recommends for this engine), and don't overtighten the head bolts - the head could warp

*HSN can go as low as 1.75 to 2.5 turns out when hot.

*After tuning for performance you can use the MC8 plug to increase performance, but you'll lose the easy tuning.

*Never tighten the needles down to far when checking turn count or else you can damage the carb.

* If temps rise fatten the LSN to cool the engine temp
Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
jonnymac

Ok so its basic heat cycling?
I got the impression that they had some other routine that needed to be followed to the letter.
I went with a mach 427 in the end as nobody replied, but i'll try one of these engines out one day soon.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 04:35 PM
art_vandalay

Yeah, it just seems to be a little more extended than most engines because of the REALLY tight pinch on the REV2 motor.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Nathan9492

follow STS manal exactly, and remember they dont really start to show ther tru colours until 1-2Gallons, so dont go hard on the thing until then [8D]
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 AM
jombo

dont waist your money,do not buy the sts30 it has too many problems out of the box. the o rings given on all the needles are the wrong size and you need to buy new ones that fit, the shims on the engine are wrong and it leaks air like a air compressor.
there are too many manufacturer defects, put your money into a different motor and save yourself alot of headacs.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Art...if he knows so much about STS engines, why does he have to talk to them on the phone to find out the breakin method?

don't do a standard heat cycle on an STS, follow the instructions that come with the engine to the letter.

Jombo, don't be like harawong's avatar. Just because YOU don't know how to run one doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. this is why supertib tells people that aren't nitro-experianced NOT to get an STS.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 AM
jombo

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Art...if he knows so much about STS engines, why does he have to talk to them on the phone to find out the breakin method?

don't do a standard heat cycle on an STS, follow the instructions that come with the engine to the letter.

Jombo, don't be like harawong's avatar. Just because YOU don't know how to run one doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. this is why supertib tells people that aren't nitro-experianced NOT to get an STS.
why are you insulting me, i have the sts 30 and you dont so dont post what you dont know.why dont you get one and prove me wrong about this engine. there are more people here who have one that have the same problems as me so i am not the only one.
they also said you need 2 shims to mahe it .30 and i proved it wrong you need one silver shim for .30 for 20%. so dont tell me there are no problems with this engine.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i have a port and polished STS 30 with a nova head and running nova C6 plugs and this thing FLIES!

never had a problem with it other than cracking the crankcase doing a backflip and landing it on the engine, its alright to tune, starts almost instantly on the rotostart and for £70 i think its an alright engine
Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 AM
jonnymac

Jeez guys, I only wnated to know the break in method....and still no one has told me!
I wanted to know what the STS recommended break in method actually was. Anyway its not so important now as my 427 will have to do.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

Jeez guys, I only wnated to know the break in method....and still no one has told me!
I wanted to know what the STS recommended break in method actually was. Anyway its not so important now as my 427 will have to do.
If you go to this site you can down load the manual and see for your self what they recommend. All so there is a help forum on the site. Sometimes doing a goggle search helps.
http://www.stsmicroengines.com/
Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: jombo

why are you insulting me, i have the sts 30 and you dont so dont post what you dont know.why dont you get one and prove me wrong about this engine. there are more people here who have one that have the same problems as me so i am not the only one.
they also said you need 2 shims to mahe it .30 and i proved it wrong you need one silver shim for .30 for 20%. so dont tell me there are no problems with this engine.
Just goes to show more of your knowledge as TBJ has a STS 30 and has not had one problem like the majority of STS owners other then the few that do things like put sealer where the head goes. [sm=eek.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=eek.gif] Most all the STS big blocks use many of the same parts, carburetor, rod, crank, bearings and more! I have 3 STS engines no I do not have the 30 YET but have two D21B and a 28 with out any problems.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:12 PM
art_vandalay

Just to set things straight ThunderbirdJunkie, he talked with me for an hour, not STS. He told me that after selling and running dozens of them that this method proved to be the best in his experience.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

art:
Aaahh, ok, Sorry bout that. The way it was worded it sounded like the guy was basically shovelin 'em out the door without having ever run one, or having cared to.

Jombo:
the people that are having the same problems as you are making the same mistakes as you. the STS .30 is not an SH engine...SH's are cake to run and tune, and that's why I'm going SH in my "can i drive it?" truck, whereas the TBJ special has the .30 goin in it. the .30 is still in my X-terminator for breakin since whenever I've REALLY had time to F with it, ti's either been raining or late at night...but it runs like a hoss already. 10k wt fluid is NOT enough for the center diff in this thing

There ARE issues with the STS engines...this is why they're not terribly good for a nitro newbie's 2nd engine, because (like what happened with you) they'll get frustrated because it won't run right because they'll refuse to listen to the experianced lot and do the simple prepwork because "OH GOD I PAID $130 FOR A $400-ITALIAN-MILL-SLAYING MOTOR, IT SHOULD BE PERFECT OUTTA THE BOX!". the .30 is the third STS i've broken in (first was an ST12R, 2nd was a D21B) and they've all been a pain in the arse during breakin...after that, aside from the touchy carb (that an OS/SH guy has to get used to...), it's smooth sailing

Basically...imagine if Hyundai built a Corvette-eating sports car for $30k. for the bang-for-the-buck factor, would YOU be willing to put up with its shortcomings? I sure as hell would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.