Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

new to t maxxs. help me please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 03:24 AM
furbyzx7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to t maxxs. help me please

my new maxx with te 2.5 in it is driving me nuts guys.. it starts fine cold, then once it warms up wont start ,, now i take it for a walk about 10 feet then it fires up like nothing was wrong.....what is this? i have tried and tried setting the carb, i have it to when it does run it runs awesome, ... but i have recently came across it jumping out of gear.. like when its under full throttle it shifts then you let off a lil and turn or whatever it neutrals out.. if you stop let it idle for a minute then it goes fine again... im thnking of calling traxxas.... and/ or shooting my tmaxx.. any help would be great whoever can fix my problemill hook you up with custom vinyl decals and stuff like that for your truck or buggy or whatever ..please email me... [email protected]
Old 03-04-2003, 04:17 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Here are some things to consider:

1. Be sure to set the high speed needle on the rich side....if your temps there are cold....you'll need to turn high speed needle 4 to 5 turns out from stop.

2. The OS brand #3 & #8 glow plugs work well in the TMaxx engine. If your still breaking in the engine....you may go through several of them until it's broken in. I used 5 Traxxas brand plugs while breaking mine and then switched back to my trust ole OS brand and have not had a problem since.

3. Check the small nut that locks the carburetor onto the engine and be sure it's tight. Any air leaking there will cause erratic engine idling/running.

4. Be sure your fuel is fresh.

5. Check the lid on the fuel tank and make sure it's closed after you put fuel in it.

6. If your suspect the fuel lines being bad....pin holes...etc...pull both fuel lines off....pinch the one going to the carb while you blow into the other one and see if you can hear/feel air escaping out of the fuel lines or tank.

7. As for the glitching on take off.....this is normal with the TMaxx as it has a centrifugal clutch. If your taking off slowly...then you'll experience the jerking that you see and hear. Try faster take offs to reduce that.

Keep at it. Tuning the carb will be the big fix for most of what your experiencing now. Remember....the high speed needle can be out (counter clockwise) as much as 4 to 5 turns out from stop....and the low speed needle can be turned out as much as 1/4 turn to 1 1/2 turns out. The low speed needle will be tested by the pinch test. Once you have the engine fully warmed up (NOT BEFORE THEN)....you can pinch the fuel line going to the carb....if the engine dies quickly....then you need to richen the setting by 1/8 turn.....do a couple of high speed passes.....bring the rig back in and do the pinch test again.....does the engine die at or around 3 to 5 seconds while pinching the fuel line? If it does...then the low speed needle is set correctly.

Remember....do the high speed needle first.....then the low speed needle second.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:41 PM
bigroundrocks

I found that traxxas fuel as good for your engine that it is, is not the easiest to tune or get my truck to run the best. I'm not sure what your running but try switching to another brand like trinity. That eliminated some of the hassil for me.

In my opinion, ya don't need the reverse and you do get alot more torque if ya get ride of it. That will also get ride of the jumping out of gear. I had the same problem and it was caused by servo glit. I put small amount of electrical tape under springs and it help don't use to much you still need the use of the spring, but for under $15 you can get the forward only kit.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:02 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

If it jumps out of gear when it shifts,then it must be that the stopper thing that pushes the lever to make it shift isnt pushing the shift lever far enough,so if you move it some,it shopuld fix that.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:35 AM
furbyzx7

alrighty ill try the tape thing ill tell you though i like the idea of revberse i mean im building a track on my property here and its gonna be a bad asss track.. i run sun aura motorsports here i do mud drags adn monster truck events and this is going to be a side deal for me because theres nowhere to race around here figuredd id do some good cash payouts and try to get everyone to come out here for a national event maby.. just a thought... when you guys race do you get paid cash or is it like everywhere around here?? for free coupons to a hobby store... i mean for instance i paid 20 to race and win 15 dollars worth of free merchandise from the tracks hobby store... kinda sux ya know imena i got close to 800 in my truck and i win less than my entry..... would any of you be interested in coming out if i build this r/c motorplex???? im talking im putting in a 100x70 foot oval"paved" and a 70x 100 rectangle dirt track out door..and between the two im going to build a 8X200 foot dragstrip... what ya think?? sound like a plan?????think itll draw a crowd??
im in roselawn indiana..... but anyways thanks for the ideas on my maxx,, let me kow what you think about the setup im thinking of.. it is very seriously bieng thought of.. i have an abandoned half mile airstrip in my back yard and i use it for my races all the time throughout the summer... so im not affraid to drop a dime on this if i could get people involved..laters