Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need tough truck to last

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 AM
birel19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tough truck to last

I am traveling to a different country (Uraguay), and need a nitro mt that will have the most chance of not breaking. What is the toughest mt?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need tough truck to last

You want the toughest truck, Savage X 4.6 no questions asked. It wont ever break unless you jump it off a building[8D]
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Snaut Rocket

mugen truggy prospec. It has been proven that the best truggys are truggys are alot tuffer than the mts.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Savage or maybe an MGT with RPM arms.

Stock up on glow-plugs, batteries and chargers, extras set of clutch shoes, afterrun oil and air filter oil, maybe a set of A-arms and turnbuckles, body posts, one-way bearing and extra pullstart/backplate, etc..
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
jonnymac

I think if toughness is your main priority and handling not so important (or reverse gear) then the sav ss models are hard to beat.
Also remember that forward only truck have less to go wrong with them.
Other possibilities are the Associated MGT and the Losi trucks.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Snaut Rocket

also you never said a price range. I would look into a hpi baja. Regular gas so nitro wont be a problem and always holds a tune.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

also you never said a price range. I would look into a hpi baja. Regular gas so nitro wont be a problem and always holds a tune.
Though I've heard horror stories about the shocks. If you want a gas car get a FG Marder. They don't look as good but are solid.
Pop over to the large scale forum and ask some guys there if your interested
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 PM
birel19

I dont think i could go "big scale" ,,,,too expensive

what are the prs and cons of mgt or savage?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:14 PM
derrick05

CEN Nemesis7.7[>:]
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MGT is bigger, cheaper, and less expensive. I've heard the shocks aren't that great. If you got an MGT though with RPM arms and a few other minor upgrades (chip in here MGT guys..) I would think that would be the ideal truck to take in your situation... The engine also has dual start options, so that's handy..

The Savage has a very tough design, but I think it's probably more accurate to say that it's tough and durable, as opposed to reliable. I'm coming more and more to think that the Savage is the truck of choice mostly for really hard-core bashing. For ex if you want to launch off big ramps 20 feet into the air - the TVP design is just right for that..

I'm a bigtime Savage fan, but I kind of think given your sitch I would go MGT + RPM arms.. And maybe even find an old beat-up roller on e-bay to take for spare-parts or something if you want to really be equipped...
Old 07-18-2007, 05:33 AM
snowbl!nd

Any truck you get will break eventually. I think you need to find out what (if any) spares you can get your hands on in Uraguay, that should be a big factor in your decision [sm=thumbup.gif]

With a few minor upgrades (shock caps, shim the diffs) my MGT has been very reliable - but out of the box i'd say that the Savage may just have the upper hand.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

truggys shmuggys truggys suck ass i run in a truggy class with my savage and it kicks all thier ass's buy a savage guy well worth the money.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 AM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: SaVaGe MaN SS

truggys shmuggys truggys suck ass i run in a truggy class with my savage and it kicks all thier ass's buy a savage guy well worth the money.
[sm=50_50.gif] ...got any video?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:29 AM
tommie!

I don't know about the new 4.6 rtr savage but if it is anything like the older 4.6....Savage. It is a very durable truck.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

gettin on soon the one i had turned out bad i had a fish eye on hte camera it and when my buddy went to zoom in it got all blurrie in the back straights
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM
snowbl!nd

yeah, those fish eyes are notorious for ruining focus... lol
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM
hilifemt

lol. this thread is hilarious. a savage never breaks unless you jump it off a building. believe me, i can break ANY truck. without jumping off any building. the above mention trucks are all awesome.... Savy, LST2, MGT..... If you know you cant get parts over seas, i would invest in many spare parts and bring them with you. ebay has fantastic prices on spare parts for all 3 of these trucks.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM
KRO

lol. this thread is hilarious. a savage never breaks unless you jump it off a building. believe me, i can break ANY truck. without jumping off any building. the above mention trucks are all awesome.... Savy, LST2, MGT..... If you know you cant get parts over seas, i would invest in many spare parts and bring them with you. ebay has fantastic prices on spare parts for all 3 of these trucks.
I agree , if you jump any truck into lets say the 5-6 ft high range and dont land correctly its gonna break something .

See whats around where your going , what they carry , HPI , Traxxas , and Tunder Tiger/Associated all have pretty big followings in Europe and Asia so ordering parts online shouldnt be too hard .

BTW , I vote for the MGT . I have almost 9 gallons on the stock motor and it still runs strong and holds a tune . It does have some weak spots , but they can be fixed easily .
Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SaVaGeMaN SS, if you brought your Savage to a truggy race around here, you'd be extremely disappointed. I don't know who's driving the truggies where you are... I race 1/8th buggies, 1.10th nitro touring and I'm soon to join the truggies too. I also have a Savage X with SS upgrades for bashing, I know exactly what they are like, and there is absolutely no comparison to a competition truggy, in terms of ANYTHING. Except maybe rock crawling, or trialling.

Truggies are lighter (therefore are faster given the same power) and jump in a much more refined and balanced way, truggies are MUCH stronger than savages (hell, my competition touring car is stronger than a Savage, real racing vehicles (top dollar machines, like Xray, Mugen, Serpent) are in a very different class in terms of materials and fit and finish). Lastly, don't get me wrong I love HPI stuff, but to compare anything made by HPI to a Mugen MBX5T is quite honestly laughable. And so it should be. To fully spec a Mugen kit for racing would cost nearly three times as much as a Savage.

To the OP... I second the motion for a truggy, if you can afford it, the top racing models (Mugen MBX5T, Xray XT8 for examples) are much stronger than the monster trucks, but you have to buy them as kits, so with a decent radio and engine one will end up costing near as much as the baja. If you're set on a monster truck though, Savage all the way.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

i run a losi8 truggy and my savage also my serpent 1/10 on road car but i built my savage so yo cant break it and for speed ill have pics of it up soon tho///// i think its the track weve been having truggys breakin parts left n right. but ur right tho my savage would prolly get beat on a track that truggys can handle well cya man.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 PM
[email protected]

1st would be the savage X 4.1 or 4.6 then the MGT I have both and the savage is stronger and as long as you don't go crazy it will do fine, that goes for the mgt too.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: SaVaGe MaN SS

You are either an awesome driver or racing 10 year olds. Sorry the savage isnt even that great of a handling MT, let alone competing against lower truggies.

Dont get me wrong the savage is a good truck, but its not going to compete with real racing truggies.

I will say that I have only broken 1 suspension arm on my Aftershock when a cement block was hiding behind a shed I was going around. I was near full throttle and I dont care what truck it was, it would have broken something.

Plus the aftershock is huge, rtr, plenty fast, very durable, and was $325 new.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:38 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

i have every after market part to lower that truck u can think of, and i have been racing for 10 years well almost 9 in a half or so but my savage that i race looks nothing like a savage ne more ill have pics of it up soon i would of had them up sooner but killed the camera
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to watch out for those cement blocks, poles, and trees that tend to jump out in front of you, I noticed it almost always happens when i am running WOT!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
burningpoo

my cen gst 7.7 was worth every penny. the truck is great! has taken a nice beating with no problems[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.