Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which truck would be the best for me?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which truck would be the best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
jjm88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which truck would be the best for me?

I'm not expecting miracles, all trucks have there ups and downs. What I do need is a larger engine, and more power. I want a truck that can climb over obstacles with no problem at all. One that is not a Traxxas or Accosociated MGT, the best truck for the job must not be made by those brands. I want a truck with amazing durability and many hop upparts that are easily obtained. Such as switching plastic parts for alloy ones. I need a truck that is very well built, with little need to repair it after a day of bashing. Again, I do no that all this comes with a price and with broken parts once in a while, but I want something I can depend on when I want to race with it or just run up and down gravel piles, over all jumps. Please be of some help in most of all my expectations, although some may need to be sacrificed for other things. Performance is most important. As well as strength and durability. That is all I can say about what I'd like in an MT.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Bria1

Default RE: Which truck would be the best for me?

Sounds like you want a LST2 to me. Or an Aftershock if the LST2 is too much money.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A savage 4.6 is also right up your ally. Nothing is more durable and has more hop-ups then a savy.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:02 AM
CrazyMento

There is nothing more powerful thant the CEN GST 7.7.. it got the biggest size and biggest engine with more toruqe out of any monster truck. it can go over places other MT cant. as far as racing, all MT are decent except the revo, which is made for racing but its more like a 1/10 truck

I found this picture on HPI forum. ITs a CEN chasing savage, which is a standard size 1/8 MT. Notice the size difference?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64423.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	730142  
Old 07-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Maggster
My Feedback: (2)

ITs a CEN chasing savage
But you will notice that the Savage is ahead of the CEN...
Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 AM
ttoks

the revo is slightly longer then the savage, the 2.5 might be a 1:10 but the 3.3 is a lot bigger.

seems like a savage is a good bet, plenty of upgrades, very durable, a powerful engine stock, and given a good set up can race fairly effectively.

i would like to point out though that the CEN might be the biggest, but it doesn't make the most torque and is far from the most powerful, an STS .28 (thats the 3 port not the D28M 5 port) made the same power as the NX 7.7 on the x dyno at 1.58 hp, the O.S .30 VG (1.80 hp) and the novarossi 528 made 2.02 hp and 80 oz/inch of torque to the 7.7's 76.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 AM
brushlessboy16

TNX 5.2!!!!! or a 3.0..
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 AM
NitroDemon18

ORIGINAL: Bria1

Sounds like you want a LST2 to me. Or an Aftershock if the LST2 is too much money.
Yep, thats what you want.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 AM
NitroDemon18

ORIGINAL: ttoks

the revo is slightly longer then the savage, the 2.5 might be a 1:10 but the 3.3 is a lot bigger.

seems like a savage is a good bet, plenty of upgrades, very durable, a powerful engine stock, and given a good set up can race fairly effectively.

i would like to point out though that the CEN might be the biggest, but it doesn't make the most torque and is far from the most powerful, an STS .28 (thats the 3 port not the D28M 5 port) made the same power as the NX 7.7 on the x dyno at 1.58 hp, the O.S .30 VG (1.80 hp) and the novarossi 528 made 2.02 hp and 80 oz/inch of torque to the 7.7's 76.
Those HP specs sound a little off to me.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 AM
ttoks

how do they sound off? off because the factory specs say 5hp? or because the bigger engine didnt win, they were all tested by the x dyno by xtreme RC under similar conditions, so then even if they are off, as a comparison the numbers are not affected.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 AM
supertib

Monster trucks are a dying breed...if you want to incvest your money well buy a Truggy.... something like a CRT Pro, Matrix TR, MUgen MBX5T........ the truggies perform all around better then MT's, they are also much more durable and better built.. dollar for dollar a Truggy is a much wiser investment.... Truggies genraly dont need any hoppups, MT's are generaly money pits... and once all is set and done a truggy runs circles around a MT, they even climb hills alot better,
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
webdr

ORIGINAL: supertib

Monster trucks are a dying breed...
I respectfully beg to differ. Truggys are all the rage but I doubt they will spell the end for monster trucks. A truggy is just a variation of a monster truck and doesnt have the "run over the neighbors dog" characteristics that a big, tall, bulky monster truck has and people love that.
IMO, truggys are specialized rcs that are built for high performance and racing; with that comes a hefty price tag.
A general monster costs less and appeals to a broader range of people. Plus, you can buy a monster, hop it up some, and spend as much or less than a truggy. Granted this does not apply to ALL monsters and truggys but the majority.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: jjm88

I'm not expecting miracles, all trucks have there ups and downs. What I do need is a larger engine, and more power. I want a truck that can climb over obstacles with no problem at all. One that is not a Traxxas or Accosociated MGT, the best truck for the job must not be made by those brands. I want a truck with amazing durability and many hop upparts that are easily obtained. Such as switching plastic parts for alloy ones. I need a truck that is very well built, with little need to repair it after a day of bashing. Again, I do no that all this comes with a price and with broken parts once in a while, but I want something I can depend on when I want to race with it or just run up and down gravel piles, over all jumps. Please be of some help in most of all my expectations, although some may need to be sacrificed for other things. Performance is most important. As well as strength and durability. That is all I can say about what I'd like in an MT.
Hey if you consider an after shock or a savage i dont see why you wont think about a mgt. It can keep up with any other monster.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: webdr

ORIGINAL: supertib

Monster trucks are a dying breed...
I respectfully beg to differ. Truggys are all the rage but I doubt they will spell the end for monster trucks. A truggy is just a variation of a monster truck and doesnt have the "run over the neighbors dog" characteristics that a big, tall, bulky monster truck has and people love that.
IMO, truggys are specialized rcs that are built for high performance and racing; with that comes a hefty price tag.
A general monster costs less and appeals to a broader range of people. Plus, you can buy a monster, hop it up some, and spend as much or less than a truggy. Granted this does not apply to ALL monsters and truggys but the majority.
Truggies are more then just a rage... Ask anyone who has come from a MT background and driven a high end truggy....Once someone goes bashing with a setup Truggy they quickly realise how much superior the Truggy is... There is nothing a MT does that a Truggy can't do..Truggies run MT tires so they go over all the same stuff, except truggies are much more stable allowing you to drive much faster... Also Truggies are much more durable, and if they do break they are also much easier to repair........

Truggies may be popular right now, but there is a reason for it... They are just some fad as some people would like to think, they are truly the evolution of RC monster trucks, and they are a superior platform, with higher levels of performance, versatility and durability....
Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Snaut Rocket

Amen to that brother.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
webdr

Like I said, it was my opinion...
I have a 8ight T so I know what they do, I also have an MGT and a few other trucks. Theres something about the fun factor of a balloon tire equipped Monster Truck that appeals to me more than the low profile built for winning races truggy when it comes to bashing. Racing is another story.
I love my 8ight t, its the fastest ship in the fleet but, and again, this is my opinion, they are not the wave of the future and wont effectively kill off the monster truck. Theres just not enough people out there willing to sink 400 to 500+ dollars into a truggy when they can get into the sport with a good ole' fashioned monster.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Snaut Rocket

thats what i di with my mgt.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 PM
bud09

i hav a t-maxx 3.3. i ramed it into a curb goin bout 5mph. so i scratched the bumper and cracked a plastic skid plate, but nothin major broke. i put this thing to the test and past every1, but the stabilty can b increased while turnin on grass but i hav an agressive thread on that is good for the dirt.
say wat u guys want i driven both truggies and MTs. but ill choose a MT any day.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:26 AM
RCtruckRacer

ORIGINAL: webdr

Like I said, it was my opinion...
I have a 8ight T so I know what they do, I also have an MGT and a few other trucks. Theres something about the fun factor of a balloon tire equipped Monster Truck that appeals to me more than the low profile built for winning races truggy when it comes to bashing. Racing is another story.
I love my 8ight t, its the fastest ship in the fleet but, and again, this is my opinion, they are not the wave of the future and wont effectively kill off the monster truck. Theres just not enough people out there willing to sink 400 to 500+ dollars into a truggy when they can get into the sport with a good ole' fashioned monster.
Honestly, I WANT to agree with you. But in RC Pro the only divisions with a decent MT turnout is Northwest and South - at least that's what Carlton says. Yes, there are still, and hopefully always will be, many people that get into racing in the MT class. That will mean there will always be someone who will carry the torch (so to speak). Is it dying? Perhaps not, but it's not in the best of shape. [&o]
Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 AM
tommie!

Amazing durability?Well built?Little Repair?Race? Bash?

Everyone can argue till the cows come home. Every major player in the monster truck range has a good product. They have to otherwise they would go out of business. You can be sure they watch each others product releases and respond accordingly.

Do they make mistakes? Yes Can someone get a lemon? Yes. Can people have a better experience than somebody else with the same truck? Most definitely!

I guess my point is you got to take everything with a grain of salt. Its good to get other peoples opinions before coming to a decision.

Just buy what you really want and not just what people tell you to...

For me, I have enjoyed the Tamiya TNX, Savage 4.6 and revo 3.3.

From what you expect out of a truck I would suggest a Savage 4.6 RTR. Add a 3 speed and wheelie bar and it is loads of fun!
Tom

ORIGINAL: jjm88

Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
burningpoo

cen gst or a nem will run over a truggy and crap out a grasshopper[>:]
Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Snaut Rocket

cen nemisis cant even touch a nice truggy.!!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 PM
burningpoo

They can go more places. If you have a truggy that can make it where my gst can go she no longer is a truggy. Your right back to truck to clear as much ground.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Snaut Rocket

ohh well i thought you were talking about racing.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM
supertib

comparing a CEN GST to a Truggy !!!!!!!!

a Truggy is a much smarter insvestment over a MT... The Truggy is more durable, easier to work on, performs much better, holds better re-sale.... climbs better, races better, jumps better, backplips better, brakes better, turns better, much more stable, covers rough terrain much faster...... As well as a general run Truggies dont suffer all the maladies of MT's, you can install any high powered engine in a Truggy and never worry much aboutr drivetrain issues..... MT's pretty much need to be rebuilt with pricey aftermarket parts to handle a big motor, and even then they barely handle it.....

All in all MT's are toy level products for the most part, and the costy to bring them up to par is insane... To make a MT fast, bashable and reliable you need to spend alot of $$$$, just running a MT costs alot of $$ due to parts breakage and required upgrades....... As a rule people spend thousands on MT's only to realise its money down the drain....Integra has one of the nicest Savages around, I also have one of the nicest LST's and Revo's, all our machines are heavily hopped up and worth thousands of $$$$, yet they sit on the shelf as we learnt just how superior truggies are..... Imagine the most hopped up modified MT you could ever build, then realise its performace and capabilities aren't half what a good truggies are.....

Truggies are the evolution of MT's, and I strongly recomend a Truggy over a MT to anyone looking to get into the hobby.... High COG and tippy handling characteristics get tiresome very fast, and if you ever go running with a group of Truggies your MT will look very inadequat very quickly..... some people will try to fool people into thinking a fully hopped up MT can run with a Truggy, but in truth its not even close, a Truggy kicks its ass at everything...........well except maybe being tippy and unreliable and needing hundreds of $$$ in upgrades to even be useable...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.