Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage suspension sag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:41 AM
chuckb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage suspension sag?

Have you guys noticed how much the savage's suspension sags right out of the box? Do you think it'll hurt or help the handling if i tightened the springs with spacers so that it stands up higher when it's running?
Old 03-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would definitely hurt the handling if you raised it up. Not only would it raise the center of gravity, you would stiffen the suspension and reduce its ability to absorb bumps. The Savage is the best handling truck there is, right out of the box. That being said, I doubt you would hurt it a whole bunch if you didn't stiffen it too much, and you could always change it back.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:39 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

I changed the shock oil for 10W to 30 W. Make sure it's silicon or it'll get stiff when it's cold.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:07 PM
aip_tuner

Default sage at when its hot out.

a buddy of mine has a savage. we took it out on a hoter day here in okc it was about 76 degrees and man the oil in the shocks sure got thin and they droped the truck about 1 to 1 1/2 inch, which i guess was good but not really couse he likes to play at the bmx track. gives the mt a realy beating out there.

I think the stock oil W is 30 w is it not???

Later.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:39 PM
dainjarouz

stock oil is 10w
Old 03-16-2003, 10:07 PM
rcfireman
My Feedback: (1)

By adjusting the ride height on a truck all you are doing is adjusting the ride height. It does NOT affect the spring rate in any manner. The spring is going to respond the same whether the truck sits 2" of the ground or 5". Spring rate as well as oil determine how the rebound works and how the truck will handle.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:11 AM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

I just ordered a set of 4 lbs springs for stock savage shocks. They say the stockers are like 2 lbs each.

I don't have an issue with the shocks, but maybe a higher spring rate might be nice.

$19.95 from New Era models. I also ordered the wheelie bar, so I can ride that wheelie