Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TMAXX .21 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Capt'n Gatso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMAXX .21 upgrade

I have reciently upgraded to the extended chassis and a OFNA .25 Force engine. I was told to use all my old flywheel clutches and clutch bell. This may have worked, however it slips badly. I then went and bought a 4 shoe flywheel clutches and bell for the .21 OFNA engine. Much to my dismay the clutch bell does not mesh up to the spur gear on the TMAXX.

I have been reading lots of .21 conversions online and everyone says it was a straight forward conversion. The cluchbell gear meshing is my only hold up. Is there a clutch bell out there that will mesh to the TMAXX spur? or a spur that will work on the transmisison and mesh to the bell?

Any help much appriciated.
Jared
Old 03-25-2003, 02:34 AM
LandShark

i think all clutch bell have same size teeth.

tell me more details, how dont they mesh?

a photo will explain it better
Old 03-25-2003, 03:24 AM
Capt'n Gatso

That is what i was told too. That they were all universal. However the gear pitch is different. Sorry i dont have pictures.

Pitch is means the angle of the actual tooth is different. So when u try to mesh them a few teeth sorta mesh poorly, then the next few not, repeat...

The stock TMAXX 2.5 is a 32 pitch. So does that make the .21 bell at 48 Pitch?

check this link out.. http://www.kimbrough-products.com/
It shows diff gears available.

I was just discouraged when i found out that the larger .21 bell wont mesh. Now it is just a matter of finding a compatable bell. And not being able to see them in hand makes it quite difficult and expensive.

Jared
Old 03-26-2003, 01:30 AM
JWash1

http://www.robinsonracing.com/traxxas.html
Check this out, I Use a 20t Stock Traxxas clutch bell, and a 66t RRP plastic spur on a RRP double disc slipper on my Ofna .25 powered Maxx. No Worries, no breakage, awsome performance.
Pics in Gallery.
If you have any Questions, Ask.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:35 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

i personally dont see why people upgrade the Tmaxx to .21 anymore specially with that new sirio engine out that can hold up against jus about any .21... specially the XTM or the Hyper 8 port that every body and there mom seems to get..
Old 03-26-2003, 01:53 AM
JWash1

Hum, .18 Siro w1.5 hp, or Ofna .25 w 2.5 hp...?
Humm, small block torque or stock driveshaft destroying only from a big block torque.
Could it be that you just CANNOT get nearly as much torque from a small block as you can from a big block?
It has to do with the Stroke. Longer the Stroke, the more the Torque (all other factors being equal).
Old 03-26-2003, 01:59 AM
caseyddr

I'm more a speed/performance/racing person.. I garuntee the Sirio would outdo just about any .21 tmaxx... probably in all categories.. i mean the 2.5 tmaxx did hold its ground against the bigblock savage, what do you have to say about that?

its also jus a higher quality motor.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Capt'n Gatso

I am all for the TRX2.5 and its abilites, but there is just no comparison to the the torque of the big block. If you want geddy this is the ONLY way to go.

Yeah I have the same setup. .25 OFNA Hyper on the extended chassis. A rippin maxx that holds its own. Pix are on the way.

Now back to the gears... I have done just that. I am running my old flywheel clutch and bell. Seems to work ok. But the clutch does slip. So that is why i am trying to run 8th scale clutch bell on it. I have a 4 shoe flywheel with aluminum shoes. And a 18T Ofna bell. But the Ofna Bell doesnt mesh to the stock spur.

I just got back from a run. Was doing tractor pulls. Needless to say there was a black gooo all over my chassis. The little clutch just wont cut it for my applicaiton.

Has nobody ever run the larger clutches on a .21 conversion? Seems odd. All that power and staying with the small clutch. There has to be spur or bell out there that can adapt.

I am working on getting some pix ...

Jared
Old 03-26-2003, 02:16 AM
caseyddr

I'm not talking bout the 2.5 though (well i was but compared to savage.) I'm talking about the .18 sirio that would blow just about any big block away, specially that cheapy you have (no offense meant). YOu jus cant throw in a low end motor and expect it to be great, I can almost positively garuntee the sirio would out perform it in just about every category...
Old 03-26-2003, 02:17 AM
caseyddr

saying i jus got 666 while listening to Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast... thats kinda freaky?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Capt'n Gatso

still i hear ya about the torque... it is just bazzar as to how much more jam the turck has with the low end power..

but yeah i am curious to know a lil more about how u did your converison. ICQ 22259994 msg me sometime.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:17 AM
miliUE

Default RE: TMAXX .21 upgrade

i have been having the same problem that i guess everyone wlse has been having here. i have basically put together a Unlimited Engineering SUPERMAXX and i tied the stock setup and trust me i caught 2 clutchs on fire before i put her back on the shelf. i researched and found what i need but some of it is so hard to get right now. i had to upgrade to pretty much a buggy clutch system which consist of these items... UE 4 shoe clutch, flywheel, and bell. and as for the spur the parts i cant get right now: strobe slipper kit with ofna spur. they say that mugen buggy clutch setups work just as well but had to go all the way. since i have put all this info on here is there anyone out that that can find these parts available and send me the link or have them contact me. new or used is fine.

and by the way small blocks suck been there broke, dusted, and trashed them... lol