Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

What do you think about the Redcat Avalanche Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
I'd buy one
54.55%
I wouldn't buy one
27.27%
If my LHS had parts, I would
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think about the Redcat Avalanche Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about the Redcat Avalanche Review

Vnmsgt started a thread about what people thought of the Redcat Truggy review. So, what do you guy's think of the Avalanche review [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=954]here[/link]?

- Pede Kid
Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 PM
d3d5

Default RE: What do you think about the Redcat Avalanche Review

beat me to it lol i was about to post the same thing. I really liked the review and plan on buying it when i get a little more money
Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM
pede_187

No one has any comments?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
rob123

Yeah; The redcat rc vehicles look like a lot of fun. In the future I would like to give them a shot, Just to have fun with!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
DaveG55

First let me say I'm not trying to cast aspersions on the reviewer, for all I know they could be telling the plain unvarnished truth.

BUT,

I NEVER 100% believe any review done by someone that accepts advertising money from the company/product being reviewed. The reviewer has a monetary interest in the reviewed and it never pays to bite the hand that feeds you. If anyone that gets advertising money says their reviews are completely unaffected by that money then they are either naive or out-right lying.

As for the Redcat stuff, well, I'm all for new companies getting into RC but until they have better product support - like parts in LHS's - then I'll probably stay away from them and not recommend them to folks new to the hobby. Just like I would not really recommend Tamiya or Kyoshs to a newb right now. Even though they are established companies that make excellent products it's hard to get parts for them. It's really sad when a newb is excited, gets a truck, breaks it (and they all do), and cannot get parts. IMHO, it turns lots of people off the hobby.

Anyway, the Redcat stuff "looks" decent and if I could walk into my LHS and get parts I'd probably consider getting one.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 AM
KILL--ROY

Its a DURATRAX NITRO QUAKE from a few years back. It is tha same exact truck from duratrax. Only the body and radio is different.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
KRO

Anyway, the Redcat stuff "looks" decent and if I could walk into my LHS and get parts I'd probably consider getting one.

The Hobby Town USA by me is starting to carry Redcat products and will have full parts support . The owner says they are great cars and so far there havent been any problems that dont normally occur with any RC .

I dont know about the Avalanche but the Monsoon has really peaked my interest ......
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: KRO

The Hobby Town USA by me is starting to carry Redcat products and will have full parts support . The owner says they are great cars and so far there havent been any problems that dont normally occur with any RC .

I dont know about the Avalanche but the Monsoon has really peaked my interest ......
Is that a store-by-store decision or a chain wide thing? Do you know?
The closest Hobbytown is about an hour from me where the closest LHS is about 10 minutes away.
Still if HT starts maybe others will too.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
KRO

Is that a store-by-store decision or a chain wide thing? Do you know?

Not sure , I forgot to ask about that . I belive they are franchised so I dont think its a chain wide thing . I could be wrong though .

I have the opposite problem , the best hobby shops around me are all 50-60 miles away and the Hobby Town is only 15 .

I dont mind Hobby Town , it just seems alot of the people that work there dont know their stuff .
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
pede_187

There are a few Hobby shops near me that carry redcat parts.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

There are a few Hobby shops near me that carry redcat parts.
Then buy one and tell us honestly how you like it.
I'm awful tired of reading reviews by people who have a stake in the outcome of the review.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
04DarkShadowGT

I have a Redcat Shockwave. I paid $99 for a RTR nitro 1/10 scale buggy. It started up right away, runs good, and is quick enough for a single speed car. The electronics seem to be up to par. Nothing spectacular but what do you expect. The only downside I have seen so far is the shock towers are so weak its not funny, I had to buy upgrades from Redcat at about $30 for both. Other than that is awesome deal.

Now onto the more expensive cars, I dont know if I would buy the Earthquake when I could get a Losi Aftershock for less. But from what I have seen they are good products just a little rough around the edges in some instances such as the shock towers.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM
pede_187

I was thinking of either this or one of their 1/10 trucks. I'll tell you how it is (won't get it until Christmas though).
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
jdm_k20

The Hobby Town USA near me is also stocking up on redcat parts and some of the cars too.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
pede_187

Ok. I think I've decided I'm not going to get one. Instead I'll just get an E-Firestorm and MM4600.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Syclone354

I just got my avalanche on monday. Had a chance to get about 10 tanks through it including break in. I also have had the Redcat Tsunami 1/10th for about 6 months or so. I was happy with the tsunami, great truck for the price, runs good, jumps good, as good as you can probably get for under $200 ready to run. Ive broke it quite a bit, but im really hard on stuff. Redcat, along with some suppliers online, have parts available and are quick to ship.

Now the avalanche is a whole different story. it is an absolute beast. since its built mostly from the monsoon truggy, it has much more of a racey feel than a typical monster truck. Its simple yet effective. single speed, pull start, etc but it does come with a decent fm digital radio system, the .28 sh is insane when tuned in, it has a center differential, and its built like it was meant to be dropped off a cliff. it is serious duty. Lucky for me too cause i plan on beating the living hell out of it, and so far it looks to handle that beating with a smile.

Ive been into rc for a long time, but just recently started getting serious with the nitro end. Im really pleased with redcat, the forum support is second to none. When the CEO comes on to chat with everyone, you know they are a good company to deal with. The vendor support is great, parts are easy to get and come quickly. With a little reading you can get a good idea of what spares to have on hand.

Ive also had experience with their engine replacement program on the tsunami. It came with a vx .18 engine, which i blew, and used their program to replace it with a SH .18. Very pleased. Followed their directions, filled out a paper and included a copy of the invoice for the truck, put it in a box with the old engine and sent it in. Had a new engine in about a week, much faster than i expected for something that had to get to them, be processed, and shipped back out. Plus with the program the sh engine was only 5 bucks more than the vx would have costed and its a much nicer engine.

Redcats are a great way to have fun with this sport. Even if you buy a $800 car you are still going to break something, and if your not an absolute die hard racer, you cant go wrong with their products for the money you have to spend. But knowing now what i know, i would definitely go 1/8th Redcat, you get 10 times the toy for less than 2 times the money.

Hope this helps someone, have fun!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
pede_187

Ok. I think I'm getting an avalanche.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM
04DarkShadowGT

If I were you I would check out the Losi Aftershock. Its only $320 and comes with a JR radio system, 2 speed transmission, and is a nice quality truck. I think its actually less than the Avalanche.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

If I were you I would check out the Losi Aftershock. Its only $320 and comes with a JR radio system, 2 speed transmission, and is a nice quality truck. I think its actually less than the Avalanche.
Could not agree more.
Besides, *** is up with a MONSTER TRUCK having a SINGLE SPEED tranny??
Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
rclynx

Most people who race monster trucks only use a single speed[&o]
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
pede_187

Ok. New story. After seeing the price of the E-Savage Sport, I can't resist but to get one. It's only $265!