Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster GT vs Mini MGT

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Ryno RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster GT vs Mini MGT

What's up guys. I am thinking about purchasing a MGT .21 off ebay for a great deal. However, since the release of the mini MGT, i'm not so sure if I should get it. I like the Monster GT because of it's size, but I am considering the Mini MGT for racing. It seems kind of small, but I have read a lot of people's comments saying that they are going to race it against the revo's. I know it is about the same size as the Revo 2.5. I will be using my MT for both bashing and racing. Which one do you guys recommend? Think the Monster gt will still be able to hold it's own against the Mini MGT on the track?

p.s. If I get the monster gt, I will be adding proline powerstroke shocks, and a few extra addons to make it competitive.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM
KRO

Default RE: Monster GT vs Mini MGT

Is the MGT brand new ? If so I'd rather have it than the Mini MGT .
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Ryno RC

Yes it is brand new. It is the .21 version, not the 4.6 or the 8.0. What are your reasons you would rather have it than the mini mgt? Thanks for your input.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Snaut Rocket

I would rather get the 4.6 new than the .21
I heard it takes alot of upgrades to make it as tough as the 4.6
And the bad thing about the mini mgt is that no one carrys parts yet.
Other then that its a really solid truck, and a fast one.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:17 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

I would rather get the 4.6 new than the .21
I heard it takes alot of upgrades to make it as tough as the 4.6
Other then that its a really solid truck, and a fast one.
The .21 and 4.6 are identical apart from the engine and two gears inside the transmission
I'd definately take the tried and tested MGT over the new mini MGT though...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
ericem

Mini MGT is looking to be one amazing truck. I would wait it out for the MGT 8.0. I have the Mosnter GT .21 they move pretty good, and I think they had better quality when they made the .21's compared to the 4.60. Also it is said the MGT .21 transmission is actually better with the plastic gears. I rarely hear of .21 tranny failure, mainly people with new 4.60's. The new MGT 8.0 will probably have that issue fixed though
Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 AM
scottywilkes

the new 8.0 has a all steel tranny, yes the 2 speed gears are all steel so that will stop the muching 2 speed gears problem

Mini MGT u can get parts for, but u will have to get it from european or australia stores as its been released here for months, including the new 8.0MGT as well.

There under the name thunder tiger S18Hammer for the mini MGT and Sledgehammer for the 8.0, and dont think there cheap knockoffs as there exactly the same truck as the Mini MGT, thunder tiger are the owners of AE, the MGT and mini MGT are Thunder tiger desiged and manufactured, with a little help from AE
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
jombo

dont get the 21 get the minigt that thing is FAST check this out http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=truck030.flv
my mgt 21 with the forward only conversion dosent go that fast lol
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
BChiz

I don't know what you are getting the 21 for, but I have it and have never broken one thing on that truck and it has been end over end and crashed many times. Only had a pin come out on one of the tranny drive cup CVA. Easily replaced. I have the 4.60 now too and it's also great. These trucks are SOOOOO easy to work on, the easiest of all trucks I think. I am going to get the 8.0 when it comes out also. Just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Ryno RC

Just gonna go with the .21 because I am getting a great deal on it and I plan to replace the engine later anyway. Thanks for the feedback so far. So what are the reasons to get a Monster GT over the MMGT? Think the MMGT will way outperform the Monster GT on the track? I do like the size of the monster GT.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM
KRO

So what are the reasons to get a Monster GT over the MMGT? Think the MMGT will way outperform the Monster GT on the track? I do like the size of the monster GT.

Its bigger , more ground clearence , you could put darn near any motor you wanted into it , lots of parts support already for it , the TT .21 is a proven reliable engine that should last quite a few gallons (my .28 has seen 9 an still runs great!) .

Did I say it was bigger ?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 PM
hajile1997

yeah it's bigger, it is a different scale than the MMGT 3.0..... The 3.0 is a solid truck as is the MGT. It is the little brother to that truck and isnt so much a bad choice as it is a DIFFERENT choice. I have several trucks that are pretty close to the same but are liked/loved for different reasons.....

you can't compare a BB to a SB IMO......Get both and bash one and race the other or whatever you decide to do with it...The great thing about these trucks is that YOU can do with them WHATEVER you choose to....can we say personalize/customize!!. kind of like all this non sense about the Revo being better than the GST 7.7....One is better for what it was designed for and the other can do a bit more or less depending on how you look at it but they are both awesome trucks in their own right....Unfortunately so many people think rc is all or nothing...either you like this one and love this one or this has to be the best and all of the others stink...whatever man...Just enjoy all of em....I know I do.....I have room for them all in my workshop and my list is always full!!

I love all rc's for different reasons. Imagine if they all looked/drove and performed alike....there would be very few people in this hobby IMO
Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 PM
KRO

I love all rc's for different reasons. Imagine if they all looked/drove and performed alike....there would be very few people in this hobby IMO

I agree ...... Besides the RC's listed in my sig I also have a couple of micro helicopters , and a Typhoon 3D electric airplane .

I am not saying that the MMGT is good or bad , never owned/drove one so I woudnt comment on it .

I do think its cooler to see a big 1/8 scale MT running off road than a 1/10 though .........
Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
hajile1997

"I do think its cooler to see a big 1/8 scale MT running off road than a 1/10 though"

Now I definitely agree with that one..I love to see the big ones running. I think the 1/5 scale gassers look weird though I dont know. I watched a FG Truck run and it looks like my kid's toy hummer or something...LOL I do however think the Baja 5b is awesome when kicking up some sand.......