Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL "HOW DID YOU BREAK-IN YOUR NEW ENGINE" THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

OFFICIAL "HOW DID YOU BREAK-IN YOUR NEW ENGINE" THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL "HOW DID YOU BREAK-IN YOUR NEW ENGINE" THREAD

After talking to a bunch of you and other people about how to break in my engine I got several different ideas on how to break in a new engine.
So since alot of people do not go by the manufacture's process I decided to make a thread dedicated to how people break in their new engines so it gives new people and skilled people some ideas on breaking in thier new engines if they choose not to use the manufacturer's guidelines.

For me, I went and used Traxxas' guide card for the break in of my new Revo.

Thanks

Rob
Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: OFFICIAL "HOW DID YOU BREAK-IN YOUR NEW ENGINE" THREAD

i break all my engines in according to the manuals that come with them. i had one that didn't go to well, and because i said i was using the method in the manual they replaced it free. i don't think that would have happened if i told them i was using some other method. just so happens it was traxxas, those guys are great. they took care of my problem right away, i sent them the old one and in less than a week i had a new one
Old 01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
jombo

i break in my engines by running 2 tanks of my favorite fuel and adding extra caster oil (klotz racing caster oil) to the fuel and using it as breakin fuel. then after running the 2 tanks through the heat cycle its broken in and good to go.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 PM
rob123

I break my engine in, Old school. On a enging test stand. Then when im done, I set it up and finish breaking it in on the vehicle!!!! Then again thats just me.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rob123

I break my engine in, Old school. On a enging test stand. Then when im done, I set it up and finish breaking it in on the vehicle!!!! Then again thats just me.
thats to much work to have to do all that. i like traxxas method and ive used it on 6 nitro engines ranging from .05-.26 and havent had a single problem. all my engines run great and dont give me trouble.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I used a breakin stand................ I did not reference the user manual.. [X(]

Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM
rob123

Looks Good: Keep up the good work!!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 AM
rob123

Yeah! But it pays off at the end when its done write!!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM
CBM Racing

To bad most manufacturers don't include clear detailed instructions for break in. The traxxas instructions are about the most clear I have seen and also work well. I use similar method by first heating engine to at least 170 degrees before starting, then idle 1 tank at as high idle as I can without wheels moving using heat gun to keep temps between 150 and 210. Then using endpoints or linkage adjustments so it cant go above 1/4 throttle, I run another tank, adjusting needles to keep temps above 175 and below 220. Then 2 more tanks at half throttle, slowly rolling on and off throttle. This is where I start to tune low speed needle as well. Then I leave it set for 3/4 throttle for 3-6 more tanks, and tuning for 1/4 turn rich of optimum by the third tank. Then full throttle and start tuning for just shy of optimum. Still using heat gun before starting, and let cool for 1/2 hour at bdc between tanks. I have used this on 4 engines so far with great results. Like a lot of people, when I first got started in cars/trucks, I did the ol' idle for a tank, then let 'er rip! I still have my first engine that got broke in that way, and sometimes I wonder...
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Louie2994
Banned

i boke in my engine the way i break in a new crate motor. run it slow and avoid hard throttle and brking
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've followed a few methods, the old school style by the book, break it in slow slobbery rich for a couple of tanks, then gradually start tuning for performance. I've used the heat cycle method, by rc car action it was in thier video, I used the traxxas method when breaking in my traxxas vehicles by the traxxas book method.

One thing I have learned through my own stupidity, and im not ashamed to admit it, is don't rush to making adjustments upon first start up of a new engine, find out where its at first temp wise, until warmed up on the stand idling. then tune for target break in temps, using marginal amounts of throttle accordingly. The heat cycle method kinda of works like the traxxas method, and its based more on time segments/partial throttle variations. EXP: run for 2min at partial throttle trying to hit target temp of 190, stop it and let it cool completely with piston at bdc. then repeat process, as time moves on you'll go for longer time segments, repeating the process, until you get to a final segment, which has you running more time more throttle shooting for target temp. In my opinion it seems like a rushed method, this is the rc car action method, and I don't feel completely confident in it.

I may start going mre with the traxxas method as it is not as rushed, and permits time for plenty of lubrication and the seating of parts.