Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Replacing tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:36 PM
savageone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing tires

I'm trying to take the tires off of the stock Savage wheels and put them on some pro-line velocity rims. Only problem is I don't know how to get the tires off without pulling them apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:53 PM
JeDi_MaStEr

Default Replacing tires

Try setting your tires in a deep bowl filled with hot water, almost to a boil for a few minutes, this will soften the glue and allow you to remove your tires without damaging them...

I have heard from a few people, even saw it on this forum once that if you set the tires in a warm pre-heated oven for a few minutes while watching them, that will also do the trick..I have never tried the oven idea, not brave enough I guess..good luck hope that helps..
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 AM
savageone

Default Replacing tires

Thanks, I'll try the water idea.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Polobear

Default Replacing tires

The oven trick works like a charm but be forewarned, your kitchen will smell like roasted tires for a bit.

Preheat the oven to 450. Put the tires on a baking sheet and put them in the oven and turn the oven OFF. Let them sit in there while the oven cools (I left mine about 40 mins). The heat crystalizes the glue and it'll just crackle and break when you push on the tires.

Sand the rims a bit (if needed) and you're ready to go. It won't melt anything, as long as you turn the oven off (even tho the smell might scare you--it did me). Works like a charm!

pb
Old 04-17-2003, 06:05 AM
petrolpixie

Default Replacing tires

aha so ppl are trying my oven tyre trick lol. it works great and i havent lost a set of rims yet
Old 04-17-2003, 06:17 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Default Replacing tires

I use acetone on mine, on chrome plated rims it works great, but if thier painted like stock tmaxx rims, the paint will thin out and rubb off real easy. Anyways I just pour the acetone in a bowl large enough for the tire and make the depth a little higher than the bead and let them soak for about 15 minutes, it eats the glue and does nothing to the tires or rims!! Its a little costly if you do it alot, but works great and leaves no signs of glue or left over rubber on the rims. Its also very nice for rims with tire beads still attatched.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:42 AM
savageone

Default Replacing tires

Thanks all. The oven thing worked well.