Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Seeking a honest opinion... if you have owned either chime in

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Seeking a honest opinion... if you have owned either chime in

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Valdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking a honest opinion... if you have owned either chime in

Alright so in the next week or two I am going to be buying a new RC car to replace my revo. For all of you wandering my revo has stood up remarkably well. I have owned it for over a year and still on stock parts lol and yes I know how to bash a MT. Mines even been at the bottom of a lake and done ever bad landing you can think of hundreds of times I guess its a freak long lasting revo.

Anyway I am trying to go around asking about the GST and the LST2 as well as the MGT 80.

I am really interested in the GST because if seems to have been built better with time. I know its heavier and CEN got a bad rep early on but from the looks of the gears its a pretty solid build machine. I am sure it breaks more than usual do to the weight of 17 pounds coming down from high but still I have seen plenty of videos with bad tumbles. I am also looking at the LST2 and MGT 80. From what I have read on the MGT 80 I don't know if I am going to buy it over a CEN. A lot of people have mentioned replacing a lot of parts to get it to run how they like. Not that its built bad just that it requires a noticeable amount of after market work and with the price tag it has its a bit of a turn off. Lastly we come to the LST2. A very impressive machine which needs virtually no out of the box at all but I am sure some will disagree and I am sure there are parts people would prefer over what comes stock but its also a good hundred more than the CEN and around that ahead of the MGT to (also someone told me the MGT is really made by TA they just put their name on it).

So here is my question.

I know the LST2 has a amazing rep but from the videos i have seen the GST and the LST2 seem to be within 5 or 10 miles per hour of each other on speed (on average that dose not count personal tuning and such) and they seem to be able to take the same basic beating though I am sure that the GST breaks a bit more cause of the extra weight but I don't mind that it would make sense and parts are not a huge thing for me. So considering the difference in price and the apprent relative closeness of speed and bash handling would anyone care to venture a opinion on which is a better take? I am sure the extra hundred would be ate up on parts by the CEN but still its a smaller large hit to the wallet and that is always nice and the CEN is a bit more unusual and has some interesting technology on it with a 3 speed and reverse tranny and a kit for 4 wheel steering.

I guess I am just stuck on either the GST or the LST2 and I don't want biased opinions because I know every company has its pluses and minuses and I have been around this long enough to know some things just break regardless and its not always the manufactures fault. Basically I want some advice/opinions but I don't want a "CEN for life" or "LST2 PWNS ALL" answers
Old 03-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Snaut Rocket

Default RE: Seeking a honest opinion... if you have owned either chime in

Well you dont need the mgt 8.0 to have fun. The 4.6 is all you need.
But I still say get the losi.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:49 PM
ThermalRD

Well it sounds like your smart enough to make this decision on your own. The GST is actually tougher than you think, for its weight. My GEN LE did not break easy. It broke once, when i hit a tree... Other than that, i felt it was very tough. My dislikes are the motor, and fuel tank. Though the motor has been updated on the GST, and the truck has been alot more refined now. The suspension on the GST works alot better than the other trucks, except the Nem. If it uses the same electronics my Gen LE did, then they are twitchy horrible. Atleast mine were. I ditched them right away. But i honestly havent seen the new GST run, so i cant comment too much on it. Other than i believe they are going the right direction with it. As for their CS being better, my feelings are still hurt, and im not going back for more yet. LOL. On to the LST2, ya, its a very nice machine right out of the box. I havent had any issues with breaking really. But i primarily race, and dont beat it up. The radio is good, and the truck runs really good. Not much else to say. I have no complaints with the LST2. Other than im ready for an LST3.

Oh, but as for the comparison, i think you'll find the LST2 outperforming the GST. Its alot lighter, and that stock motor is surprisingly fast. I actually felt i downgraded the first year i had it, when i switched to a Picco .27. But in the end, i believe they are both nice trucks. Though i believe the LST2 will give you less troubles to start.

My honest opinion though? Wait another 3 weeks. RCX is in April. Anything new and cool will be hitting that show. I know CEN has been holding back on their race version of that truck for some time now. I'd bet both companies have something to show at RCX.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Valdeck

Thank Thermal

I wont be buying this till mid April after a birthday and hopeful tax return check. So I will end up waiting for RCX. As far as what Snaut Rocket said he is right however I like the big MT's personal preference. More input is welcome but right now I am still leaning CEN for a few reasons but the LST2 would be sweet... rumor has it they might be discontinuing the the LST2 soon for a LST3... maybe at RCX?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
KRO

I would go with the LST2 , havent owned a GST so I cant comment other than looks bad ash .

I do own an LST2 and its basicly stock besides sway bars and alloy steering links , and it has outpreformed my other trucks by a alot , better jumping and big bump handling , the tranny has been bullitproof so far and its got a great radio that you will want to use on your other RTR's .
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Valdeck

hey kro thanks for the tip.

How fast does your LST2 go, rather not how fast but compared to a GST how much do you out perform them by? all the videos I have seem look pretty close.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Fecal Freddy

The MGT 8.0 is a hell of a time!

Burns fuel real quick, though.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I've had an LST2 as a companion to my Revo since July. I really like it. I've had some issues... but in all, I've enjoyed it. I'm just not very impressed with GST or MGT, so... if I were to vote... I'd say LST2... they're pretty nice.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
F-22

I was debating the VERY SAME QUESTION YESTERDAY! GST or LST2!

Then my friend let me go try his models.

I'll shorten it.

Get the LST2.

For the full story, go to "Size DOESN'T matter!"
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Valdeck

I like your thread and I am leaning more to the LST2 but not enough to buy it yet. From what I can tell the main problem people have is breaking parts but given that its a heavy truck if thats the only problem I am not sure if its enough for me to get ride of it. Plus its a hundred cheaper and more rare to see which gives me more money to buy some parts like a hi end exhaust and stronger rpm type arms.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: Valdeck

I like your thread and I am leaning more to the LST2 but not enough to buy it yet. From what I can tell the main problem people have is breaking parts but given that its a heavy truck if thats the only problem I am not sure if its enough for me to get ride of it. Plus its a hundred cheaper and more rare to see which gives me more money to buy some parts like a hi end exhaust and stronger rpm type arms.
The LST2 is a great truck... and I have broken very few parts.... since the GST is more rare than the LST2... it's going to be harder to find parts. If you like waiting for parts, then that's not a big deal. I don't... if I break something, I want to go to the LHS and fix it....

I'd say find a LHS that has both trucks and compare... that's what I did...
Old 03-31-2008, 02:16 AM
scottywilkes

ORIGINAL: Valdeck

Thank Thermal

I wont be buying this till mid April after a birthday and hopeful tax return check. So I will end up waiting for RCX. As far as what Snaut Rocket said he is right however I like the big MT's personal preference. More input is welcome but right now I am still leaning CEN for a few reasons but the LST2 would be sweet... rumor has it they might be discontinuing the the LST2 soon for a LST3... maybe at RCX?

MGT 4.6 is the same size as the MGT8.0, which are both the same size as the LST2
Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
fast1

you could always get the aftershock and upgrade from there. dosn't look a whole lot different. i have a lst gen1 and 5 other offroad trucks . i drive the lst the most by far.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Valdeck

obviously the LST2 is a very well made machine and Losi has a good reputation as far as upgrading a aftershock it would cost more than a LST2 by the time its over. I guess my real question isnt how good is the LST2 its how many people who have won have driven the GST a decent amount in order to make the comparison not jsut go off of a company's reputation?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
nightwolf1969c

i have the mgt 8.0 and raced a cen gst 7.7 and whooped it both times the only problem i have had way broken body post the truck is super fast
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
burningpoo

I was haveing the same problem, I didn't know if I wanted the LST2 or the GST. The LST2 is a killer truck, but I went with the GST and I don't regret it. I've beat the truck pretty hard, not skate park hard and haven't broke anything yet. I don't think you can go wrong with anyone of those trucks, besides waiting on parts. BTW it's not hard to find parts for the GST, it's just the waiting that sucks. That's why I ordered almost enough parts to rebuild truck, keep them on hand.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Valdeck

thats awsome, did you just order them from CEN? or did you get some after market parts some where? I checked out new era and they have some stuff for sure but still trying to figure out who all makes what I was hopeing to find some RPM type plastic arms I dotn want aluminum for them but so far no luck. anyway still a week or two away from pulling the trigger got to wait for uncle sam.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
bighound

go with the lst2. by far one of the best rtr packages around. i love the mach, easy to tune and reliable. it was my first nitro rc and it is still running strong.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM
burningpoo

I get alot of parts off ebay. Spent $100 and got most of parts for the truck but engine and drive train. The reason I picked the GST over the LST2 was how high the truck sits/ frame design. I wanted to go fast plus be able to get places other trucks would bottem out or get stuck when you stop. The 3 speed works great for me, not haveing to stick my hand on the truck to get a low gear helped me too. If your still looking at cen and want more of a racing truck the nemesis is sweet and you can get a rev setup if you like. I liked the green frame/3 speed rev so I picked the GST and when I get some extra money I'm going to put the nemesis diffs on my truck.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Valdeck

thats cool. I really do like how the GST sits and how the frame looks. Thats one thing that I would change on the LST2 if I got it is I would want to set it up so that it sat a little higher up. My friends savage has a similar frame just not rounded and while it some times has some issues it works pretty well verses my flat bottom design on my revo and on the LST2.