Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

HPI Savage XL Unpacking Pictures!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI Savage XL Unpacking Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Art91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Savage XL Unpacking Pictures!

Its so beautiful, lol. Your are a lucky bum, I wish I had the extra cash to burn on one of those.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
savageman1208
Banned

can we see some new pics and maybe a vid im waiting on vids from every where
Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
alex.guzun

I'm really think about it, i want to buy X SS or this XL (both have those strength parts)
THe one think is bad (in my opinion) is that 'little' fuel tank, it is the same from X (SS).
So it has .36 engine and the same tank, how long could i bashing with that? 5, 7 minutes? (how long it for Xss?)
Old 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Art91

I normally get about 15 minutes on a tank.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
alex.guzun

So XL is not gonna be more that 10min
Is there any aftermarket fuel tanks to get for Savage or maybe Savage XL?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:07 PM
BudBud

Wow! They are [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTW8&P=7]proud[/link] of that new engine!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:37 PM
BudBud

There are a lot of options, the one I like best is the Tower Terror tank mod. That tank is [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNFA1&P=7]170 CC[/link] and mounts on the top [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNFA2&P=7]edge[/link] of the chassis plates. It requires two small holes to be drilled for the hangers. It was designed to be hung on the left chassis plate, next to the engine. It solves the lean half tank issue and is not deep like the Savage tank. BB
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
alex.guzun

thanks,
but for sure would like to hear from XL users, how hungry it is in reality
Should i buy XL and made 300cc tank?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 PM
twomanytoys

Have you seen this tank ont eh savage? I would like to know how it looks and exactly where it mounts.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
BudBud

He built an elbow mount to lower the tank a little. BB
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Have you seen this tank ont eh savage? I would like to know how it looks and exactly where it mounts.
I have messed with the Tower Mounts on my Truckzilla chassis and I think I can turn one upside down, drill two holes and be good to go. On the 25 chassis, it is harder to find a level method to mount it. It would be simple to use a little angle bracket and mount the tank anywhere on the outside of the chassis you like. The tank is much longer, not nearly as deep, has no step in the side and keeps your fuel level closer to the height of the needles. They work great on the similar chassis of the Tower Terror, I have mounted one of my Picco 28s on the Terror and do not get the lean issue at all, until the tank is almost empty. The Tower brackets could be turned upside down if necessary and space the tank about the width of a fuel line off of the chassis. I ordered a tank as I used my spare to build my seventh Tower Terror out of parts. BB
Old 05-03-2008, 06:57 AM
alex.guzun

Brian, could you please say something about it? How hungry is XL? For how long will last fuel tank?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
c_P

Hey budbud, i like the idea of the tank but how would it fit in a x chassic and would the brakes piston rod get in the way. from your picture it looks like it's possible to get in the way
Old 05-03-2008, 03:37 PM
BudBud

I do not have an X and think it would fit an extended chassis better, but here is a quick mock up I did on on of my 25s.

The brake linkage goes in the gap easy enough. On the extended chassis the extra inch moves the rear mount back on the chassis and makes the mount a lot easier. In these photos the throttle is wide open and clears the top of the tank. I had messed with it before and it appears to be pretty straight forward. For the front hanger, you would want to use the existing radio box and or roll bar screws and a small mount of some sort. I had mine mocked up with the foot off of a starter box and used a screw and washer to hold the front of the tank to the elbow. I was looking for the elbow I made and it is somewhere in my R/C grave yard in the basement. The first one was a pretty crude mock up, I wanted to call on a friend to machine me out a nicer looking mount. Anyway, I put a Tower Terror mount on the 25 chassis and set the tank on an abused engine so you could get a better idea of how it looks. I had messed with it some and even had it mounted and drove my Truckzilla around with it on there. I stole that other photo off of another forum. [&:] Uh Ohh there I go with a public confession. BB

Old 05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
BudBud

I am going to do this mod to my XL when it gets here or after I get it borken in, depends on the weather. It looks like a good rainy day project. Anyway, I will post the completed project photos on a new thread then. BB
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM
experimental_pilot

Nice truck man and Nice job advertising your site too!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Brian_BigSquidRC

I'm bringing it to a bash tomorrow. So I'll be getting a bunch of runs/tanks and doing some final durability tests..(muhahaha). I'll time the runs and report back with an average. It was running a good amount of time at the track, but because I was still working on the tuning, I was bringing it in and out all the time. Stay tuned.

Oh.. and BTW: if you really wanted to, you could probably rig a full size second tank behind the engine.. there is a TON of room back there. I'll probably install a nice Pioneer system. )
Old 05-03-2008, 08:48 PM
ThermalRD

Any comparison shots, next to other trucks?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I saw a Savage XL tranny 3 speed on ebay today. I just wanted to confirm, the XL tranny is 3 speed with the high ratio third? Thanks.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Snaut Rocket

you didnt know that it was 3 speed
Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Brian_BigSquidRC

Here is an update. Had it at the bash today.. good time! With lots of jumping and high speed runs in a big field back and forth, I was getting about 12 minutes per tank. Not too bad for the size of the truck and engine. I still don't have 2nd gear exactly where I want it, but it's close. Hearing it hit all 3 is pretty cool. This thing has POWER! It wheelies on command, no problem. I need to get a wheelie bar for it, because 70% of the time it was an instant flip from a stand still.

I have some comparison shots I will post shortly. One of them is next to a FG.. the FG wins (barely!) It was bigger/wider then a MGT which was impressive. It was a little longer/wider then someones brushless conversion.

I need to work on the tuning, but I had no problem hitting 40mph on the speed gun. I'm pretty sure I could squeeze a few more out of there easy with tuning and shift points.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
alex.guzun

wow .. 12 min
really, not too bad

i'm gonna buy one
Old 05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
alex.guzun

Brian, would you but some afterparts already?
Nice review, tho
Old 05-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Xavior
My Feedback: (1)

I have recently bought a Savage XL, before I tell you what I thought about the performance of the XL, I will let you know I am new to the RC world, having started just over a year ago. I own several RC cars a Losi, Duratraxx, Hyper 8, Mammoth ST. So even though I don't have the experience in time, I can compare it to other RC cars. With that out of the way, here is what I think.

This is an impressive truck the design, the size, the body, everything about this truck is screaming "drive me". It took very little after market assembly to get it to go. The breaking in the motor process isn't very exciting but crucial so you have to take your time and do it correctly. After that is done and you are officially ready to pull the trigger all the way back, be patient. My Savage xl took some time and some tuning before it would go full bore. If you are not that mechanically able, tuning your truck may create some unneeded frustrations, all I can say is follow the intructions keep working it and be patient.

After tuning you will notice first gear takes a while to get out of and there is not to much to second before the XL shifts to third. Unfortunately, you can only adjust the gearing between 2nd and 3rd gears. I have read on the net you can adjust the timing between 1st and 2nd but you have to the tranny out, for me its not the biggest deal in the world but it is noticable.

The second thing I noticed is that right out of the box the shocks are a little stiff. Which causes the XL to roll every once a while and those tires really do bite. After a few tank fulls everything kinda evens out and the stability gets better and more reliable.

Jumping. This truck cuts the air like an arrow. The larger size of the XL seems to work in its favor when compared to smaller RC cars. The balance is good it's not bouncy upon landing and makes a smooth transition back into driving mode after landing with little if any counter steering.

So you want to know how responsive this truck is, after all given it's massive size how responsive could it be? I have to tell you I was pleasantly surprised. Out of the box with only minor tweaking it cuts a mean turning radius and is quick into the turn. Not something you would expect from a vehicle this size.

Looks- a head turner for sure. The chrome rims and you can't loose with either body colors (blue/orange) this truck runs as mean and tough as it looks.

The extras for those who are still reading this. This truck is loud so don't start it in the garage while the little ones are taking a nap. This truck is not for KIDS. It's size, weight and speed demand that it be taken seriously. Oh Yeah the price. I got mine off the net for under $520.00 (not including shipping) not a kings ransom but not cheap either. Pricing varies but who doesn't know that.

Overall I give it a solid A. Like I said I can live with the gearing, but the other things it has like the built in rechargeable battery is an added plus. The radio controller is a little bland and it is not digital but oh well, can't have it all. If your looking to dominate the track and slap down your friends, this is the vehicle to do it with. If your wondering I don't work for HPI and this is my first RC car from them.

X Brown

Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
ahawk65
My Feedback: (1)

Excellent write up there Xavior, and welcome to the forums. =)

Nice looking truck there Brain, I like the looks of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.