RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 02:29 AM
cemeb4dk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Acceleration

I'm a 3 day old nitro owner, so forgive me if this is a simple question,

I have a new savage. I think its pretty well dialed in except, it is very very slow when it starts from a stop, it seems it needs a little push then it runs fine. I tried to lean out the low speed needle with no progress.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:42 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

when you hit the throttle real fast does it bog down and then kinda like catch up once its going?

what if you hit the throttle slowly ? does it move along fine?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:03 AM
cemeb4dk

when i full throttle it never bogs down, it just revs real high and then finally starts to go.

when i do it slowly, same thing really just not rev's as high
Old 05-04-2003, 03:16 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Man I'm kinda having the same problem.

Mine runs fine now but the HSN is actually pretty lean.

But still it kinda bogs down at the top end.

My HSN is like 1.5 turns IN from what ppl normally run for my engine. I dont get it!

Then again I'm still breaking it in, and my fuel has 18% oil so that may have something to do with it.

I'm trying to keep the temp at around 240 after a high speed run.

Mine isnt that bad, but one thing is for sure. My needle settings are way off from what ppl run.

ram
Old 05-04-2003, 03:58 AM
bueno_z

Leave your low speed needle where it is set at, and richen your high speed needle. This should make your SAVAGE peel out on the dirt. Also increase your idle slitely.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:26 AM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Your LSN is what controls your throttle response at take-off.
If you are having a problem accelerating from idle then you need to adjust your LSN.
If it accelerates fine from stand still and then when it's coming up to speed it bogs down then you need to adjust your HSN.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:06 AM
bueno_z

True that the low speed needle controls your low end acceleration, but if it is leaned, and your high speed needle is also leaned out your acceleration will suck because the carb is not getting enough fuel from the high speed needle being leaned out also. This is why leave the leaned out setting on the low speed, and richen the high speed needle. Try it young grasshopper you will see what I am talking about.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Epik

From my experience the LSN is what helps out a lot, unless you've been messing aroudn with the idle. If your throttle acceleration is slow it might be that you are running it to rich, so adjust it by going clockwise. Lean it out a bit not too much though. If you get a fast take off than it boggles turn you HSN counter clockwise. Most of the time though it seems that people have been running the LSN to rich though:/
Old 05-04-2003, 02:26 PM
cemeb4dk

Thanks to everyone.
This forum is a life saver for a newbie.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Rex2342

Maybe it's not your needles.You said when you hit the gas the truck revs then takes off right?So maybe it's a clutch problem or that one-way bearing in the tranny everyone complains about?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:43 PM
SixVi6-Camaro

I agree it sounds more like a slipping clutch in my opinion. clean any oil greas and junk out of the clutch to be sure its not that.

Where in the chacago suburbs are you at? I'm in the NW burbs and bash with several people in the area.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:31 PM
cemeb4dk

I'm in St Charles.

it was my LSN I was way to rich, and to lean on my HSN. Now it runs great. except i'm having trouble trying to get it to switch into second gear. I've already adjust the gearshift 180 degrees counterclockwise. not sure how much more i can go. It just whines out and the guy at the LHS was helping me, then my pullstart broke so i thought. cord would not retract, So took engine out, loosened one hex nut on the pull starter to take it off, and the cord retracted. must of just got hung up. So now i have a spare pull start.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Polobear

How many tanks do you have thru it? You probably won't notice much shifting until about the 8th or 9th tank... if you're past that point then keep turning in about 1/4 turn increments, if you're not to the 9th tank yet, keep running!

pb
Old 05-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a slipper clutch problem. Maybe a clutch shoe problem, but unlikely. Take a couple full throttle runs from a stop and bring it in. Feel the slipper and spur gear, if its good and hot the slipper is slipping too much. Tighten it down all the way and back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:48 PM
cemeb4dk

I have about 8 tanks in. But only 1 where the needles were set right, i was running way to rich, so now i finally have some go to the truck. With running so rich tanks of fuel didn't last to long, so i'll run a few more tanks, then try to readjust if needed.

I will also check the clutch.

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-09-2003, 07:08 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i used to have these problems then rex told me to wait awhile because its still on breakin process then itried to close the hsn and opened it 3turns out and now its shifting to 2nd gear and its too fast ..i dont even want it to shift now..i just touch the hsn..try closing it out and then turn it 3 turnsout ..cuz mine wont go before it dies out once i rev it ..now problem solved ..