Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New Kyosho Nitro MT - Kyosho MFR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New Kyosho Nitro MT - Kyosho MFR

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:57 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Kyosho Nitro MT - Kyosho MFR

Actually it wouldn't... The whole idea of this truck is to keep the power to weight ratio high. Take a look at the specs, 7lbs with an .18 engine is no slouch. RCCA radared it at somewhere in the 41mph range stock. 4 shocks do the job better than 8, less unsprung weight and things to go wrong.

Tom.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 AM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am really liking this truck alot.i want to get a small block monster thats alot easier to lug arround than my lst2.also they get great mileage and dont put out the torque of the big block so they wont be as hard on the drivetrain.gas is getting expensive and hot small blocks can be found for arround 100 bucks new,sometimes less.now as far as runtimes go,i am totaly frustrated with the small tanks that come on everything.in my opinion,small blocks should have at least 300cc and big blocks should have 500cc at least.it wouldnt be hard to do for the manufacturer,i dont know whats with all the small tanks?? my lst2 could just extened the tank till right below the shock towers or make it wider,and for this truck it looks like there is tons of room for a bigger tank.i am sure there is an easy way to mount a larger tank! does anyone know of a shop that will make a custom tank?maybe out of aluminum or something?i would be willing to pay a premium for one and i would get them for al my vehicles! maybe i should find a casting place and get some fabbed up.i think they would sell.i mean i could make big tanks and guards to keep them safe.and sure some racer will be like "you just threw off the center of gravity!" but seriously,were bashers! it would be much more enjoyable to run for 30 minutes without filling up!

i am going to get one and try to get a bigger tank in there mounted somehow.custom! and is 103cc really that small?most smal blocks run on 75!

it allmost looks like i can take an lst2 tank (220cc!) and mount it backwards on the front of the chassis,same shape and size judging from the pics as the chassis.that would be awesome.

oh yea,allmost forgot,does anyone know if i should be able to find a good tuned pipe for this thing?and how much extra power can i expect if i go with a simple rotostart instead of this "touch start" thing?i know all those gears create alot of drag.and the mag ran it on 20% fuel and got 43 miles an hour! thats fast with no mods,30% should be at least 45-48 and with mods like a tuned pipe and rotostart,maybe a better filter,i bet you could crack 50! maybe you would have to change the gearing or go with bigger tires to get it done.(some lightweight pro-line lpr truggy treads should do nicely!)
Old 10-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Clymer122693

From what I have heard this thing isn't all that tough. If you want a small block monster look no farther then the revo. With the use of the Tekno RX/Battery conversion you can run up to an 250cc tank! That mixed with an o.s. 18tz would be insane run times.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 AM
TimJ

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

From what I have heard this thing isn't all that tough.

ROFL! LOOK we have a Traxxas fan boy craping on a Kyosho thead.....wow.....that is class. I hope your line of rubbish made you feel better.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:15 AM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: Gearhead3

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

From what I have heard this thing isn't all that tough.

ROFL! LOOK we have a Traxxas fan boy craping on a Kyosho thead.....wow.....that is class. I hope your line of rubbish made you feel better.

Well ThermalRD has both and races against me nearly every week. I can tell you which one he's had more luck with and it's not the one this thread is about. He is working on its issues he's found, though I'm not casting judgement just yet on it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Clymer122693

Fanboy my ass. I was simply stating my opinion. I was hoping the MFR would give the revo some competition so we can get the MT scene moving again but that may not be the case....
Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
jonnymobil

i will NEVER buy another traxxas nitro vehicle,i love there electrics but there motors arn't strong enough to be started.they need to step up and stop trying to wring that little small block out in a full size monster truck.i bought the new t-maxx 3.3 and the first time i tried to break in the motor,when i was done i realized i had no way of pulling the piston to the bottom for the cooling process.then thwhole starting unit broke on the second tank,so i went with a roto start and the crank shaft broke and traxxas told me "yea they do that sometimes when the motor is new and the pinch is tight,all it proves is your motor has verry tight pinch and will be a good motor" i was like so the crank is not strong enough to be started? they said" yea it really wasnt designed to take that kind of abuse,the pinch is so tight on a new motor like the 3.3 it takes alot of stress to turn the motor over" i was like not designed like that? like they didnt know that someone would be starting a new motor? like they are just for looks or something?come on? ill never buy annother traxxas motor.
they do make the best basher electrics in the bizz in my opinion though.so im not knocking em,just knockeing there motor thats has a crank shaft thats not strong enough to be started when the motor is new,like they all are.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Clymer122693

I've never heard of someone snapping a crank in any kind of engine. I would like some pics. No offence or anything but I find that really hard to believe traxxas would tell you that. Traxxas has one of the best if not the best customer service in the hobby.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM
TimJ

LOL!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 PM
rcnitrohead

Ok Gearhead, lay off Clymer or put a sock in it...

Clymer, snapping cranks is nothing new (well it almost always happens at the crank pin), so I wouldn't find that too unbelievable. What I do find kind of weird is how he killed the EZ start in 2 tanks, that engine must of had some crazy pinch to do that[&:]. As for Traxxas support, personally they gave me a similar response when the piston clip let loose twice in my brothers engine and wreaked havoc destroying the piston and sleeve. I personally watched my brother to make sure he didn't over rev the engine, and on both sets of piston and sleeves he had less than 20 tanks on them. Whatever, but it sounds perfectly feasible.

Tom.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
malice23

Just cuz the A-arms look small or thin doesnt mean they are pathetic or weak. Kyosho parts are of very good quality and strength as opposed to the traxxas a-arms you grt which can break in the palm of your hand if handled wrongly lol. The truck looks like it handles well by the look of it. Take a look at some vids on youube and see for yourself. If I had toget a 1/10 sized nitro truck it would be this hands down.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 PM
malice23

I actually went through 2 of those 3.3 motors as well...brand new followedtheir break-in procedure and still the same results. Id never buy another traxxas vehicle period. Electric or nitro for that matter. All they do is break, and those that deny it are basically in heavy denial. Ive had my ofna hyper st pro for a year and a savage 25 for almost a decade and it stil hasnt broke a damn thing.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
rcnitrohead

Parts for this truck can't be found anywhere except for amainhobbies and another dedicated Kyosho site, and a handful on ebay. I've been waiting for someone to throw out a complete MFR transmission onto ebay for a long time now, it hasn't happened. So if you break a weird part on this rig, its onto Kyosho costumer service...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
TimJ

That really makes a whole lot of sense. A LHS, for you called Brooklyn Hobbies can order the parts for you. Ask for Richie........
Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 PM
bhcvc

I have a couple of LHSs that can order parts for me also. I don't see what the big deal is, though I have several trucks to play with so when one goes down, I have others. I usually order parts online anyways and don't mind it. The price recently dropped on the MFRs. I'm wondering if more people have them out there and can give reviews and opinions on them. I'd like to pick one up in the future. Hopefully the prices drop a bit more or more used ones becomes available.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
rcnitrohead

I know all of the Brooklyn hobbies guys well enough to know that I wouldn't want to try that. Last time I tried to ask one of the fools working there to order up the parts for a complete Wheely King axle and the guy asked me what an axle is.... Not to mention it would have cost me $70 plus in the end to get all of those parts. Same thing with this, Amain has 70% of the parts I need, but it would end up costing me over $70 for their parts- I guess I'll just wait patiently on ebay. Or when it gets to crunch time with my build, I'll have to go with a small FWD only tranny. I have nothing against Rich cause hes a decent guy, but it would be a rip off in the end unless its a tranny from a parted out truck.

As fpr bhcvc- I order most of my replacements online too, but theres nothing to order unless you break a 25 or so select parts off the truck, the rest is up to your Kyosho dealer or Kyosho itself to get you if its even available...

Tom.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
bhcvc

Would anyone be interested in buying the Kyosho .18 small block, filter, pipe, fuel tank, and all?
I'm thinking about picking up an MFR, but don't need any of these parts if I get it as I would be converting it to brushless.
If anyone's interested, I'd include an extra 150cc fuel tank and some brake discs and pads for free.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
rcnitrohead

If you plan on swapping the tranny then I will take it in a heartbeat[X(]
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
bhcvc

Not sure what you mean by swapping the tranny. I plan to keep the tranny. Everything else nitro-related I wouldn't need.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
rcnitrohead

Ha damnit, ah well
Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
bhcvc

Oh, you meant if I'm willing to sell the engine and tranny together? Yeah, sorry, I'd like to keep the tranny. If you're interested in the nitro parts, let me know.
Thanks.