Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

suggestions for new savage engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

suggestions for new savage engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 01:22 AM
the_vw_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions for new savage engine

well... i took my savage to the local bmx dirt jumps.... was doing great till i over shot the landing on the big table top (while still on the gas) and landed from ~11ft of air - upside down.. heat sink first

well... broke off and bent heat sink fins... ruptured gas tank, brok the mount that holds engine to truck, and broke the engine housing along the side from mount back to pull start.

looking for suggestions as to a possible upgrade. i hear people talking about .26's in the savage. is this worth doing, and how expensive and how difficult would that be? would i be better off just replacing the stock engine?

thanks in advance for your input.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:32 AM
cemeb4dk

Ouch!! Too bad you don't have it on video. You could share the carnage with the rest of us.
CHeck with Noah I think he runs the .26 in his savage and he says with the right clutch set up i think his runs at about 45 MPH. everyone rants about the .26 Engine. I can't wait for my stock .21 to die so i can upgrade to the 26. Well good luck with the upgrade. You got to love this hobby.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:42 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .26

The picco .26 is a very fine engine. Runs extremely strong, and has tons of torque. It will drop right in, but I would rec. you change clutch setup. I am running a three shoe clutch with alum. shoes and 16T bell housing. If you go this route, try to get the mugen three shoe flywheel, as the kyosho one is too thick. Also, don't run the stock clutch, you will burn it up quick. Make sure you have HD dogbones, and get the metal hub that the brake rides on. This is about it. The diff. in power is day and night. Even when I was running the engine extremely rich, I could tell it had more power...the stock savage goes anywhere from 32-35 mph. I know I am going at least 10mph faster then the stock. It hauls butt, plus still wheelies around 15 mph in high traction surface (like grass). You can run this engine rich, and still have gobs of power. The only other engine I would rec. is the Sirio .27...but it's expensive and don't know if the case size is the same as the picco. Hope this helps. If you do get an engine, make sure you protect the head some way, as the picco will flip the savage with ease. I was doing back flips off a small jump with ease.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:48 AM
the_vw_guy

thanks for the speedy replies.

noah, if u have any part #'s i'd greatly appreciate it, sincec i am still fairly new to the hobby, i'm still a little stymied by clutches etc. will update when i figure out what i do

thanks again
Old 05-14-2003, 03:06 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

where can you get the picco .26
Old 05-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Travis21

The picco .26 or the hyper 8 port would be your best choice. It all depends on what you do with your savage. I have the picco .26 and it is awesome.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:46 PM
James1701

I agree with noahb. I would like to see about the Siro .27, but they are offering it in three different models. The non pro or racer should not be that expensive. But I don't know any specs for that one.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Unstable

I have been waiting for the picco .26 for a while now. my LHS has had them on order from 2 diffrent distributers and still no word on when they are comming in

need more power.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:39 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

get the sirio "442"

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...hreadid=121667
Old 05-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Avalanche

The best bang for the buck is the Force .25, if you dont mind drilling 2 new mount holes. $109 and HUGE low end torque.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:39 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Default picco

The sirio is going to be offered with 11 ports...this is the expensive one. The cheaper one I think is going to have like 4 ports (sport model). If the sirio was only about $50 more then the picco, I would have waited...but it being the price of two piccos, I just don't see it having that much more power. Heck, I can't even get the power planted right now...sometimes it's too much power as it wants to wheelie all the time. The sirio should be better top end...but the savage is almost uncontrollable right now on top end...this is with stock tires. I am sure with low profile on road tires, it would make a huge diff.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:56 PM
XTMthunderquake

Default new engine in savage

First of all , I think that everyones gettin a little bit too worked up about getting a new engine in there savage. Not that its a bad idea, swapped mine in my savage as soon as I got it, but its just that you need to realize that any considerable increase in horsepower( .7 hp-) is going to be very noticable. The outlaw .26, the new sirio thats commin out, the force 25's and the hyper 8-ports are all gonna make the savage scream, so Id just go with the cheaper one really, unless anyone here has any first-hand complaints. I have the outlaw in mine and its very overpowered and hard to controll, leading to some broken parts and is in need of some beefing up ( heavy duty driveshafts all around )
Old 05-15-2003, 02:18 AM
motocrosserjm

I have a .26picco and lov it . I can be going aound 10-15 mph and punch it and it rips the front wheels off the ground. You do need a 3 shoe clutch perferably aluminum and a bigger clutch bell. But i always have to have the biggest and the best, i will have the 11 port sirio .27 in 2 weeks. SO i will keep you updated.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:43 PM
the_vw_guy

thanks for all the replies.. i'm guessing that the picco is gonna be the best bet for the price.. as far as 3pc cluthces... are there any rhat will bolt up no modifcations required?

also savagebeast mentioned the outlaw .26. who makes that?

thanks again
Old 05-15-2003, 09:51 PM
hpisavagecom

Originally posted by the_vw_guy
thanks for all the replies.. i'm guessing that the picco is gonna be the best bet for the price.. as far as 3pc cluthces... are there any rhat will bolt up no modifcations required?

also savagebeast mentioned the outlaw .26. who makes that?

thanks again
The outlaw .26 is the OFNA PICCO .26 Outlaw, awesome engine by the way. Mine arrived 2 days ago, waiting for the new clutch to arrive before i install
Old 05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Travis21

Default Re: new engine in savage

Originally posted by SavageBeast
First of all , I think that everyones gettin a little bit too worked up about getting a new engine in there savage. Not that its a bad idea, swapped mine in my savage as soon as I got it, but its just that you need to realize that any considerable increase in horsepower( .7 hp-) is going to be very noticable. The outlaw .26, the new sirio thats commin out, the force 25's and the hyper 8-ports are all gonna make the savage scream, so Id just go with the cheaper one really, unless anyone here has any first-hand complaints. I have the outlaw in mine and its very overpowered and hard to controll, leading to some broken parts and is in need of some beefing up ( heavy duty driveshafts all around )
I agree the picco .26 is a great motor. But it is alot of motor. If you want fast then its for you. The stock motor is fine for jumps and playing around in. Dont expect to get away with crashing with a new motor and not paying for it. An extended chassis and hd bones are needed.