Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Hi, what type of engine oil can I use for the purpose of After-run oil and filter oil ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hi, what type of engine oil can I use for the purpose of After-run oil and filter oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Savage462k1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, what type of engine oil can I use for the purpose of After-run oil and filter oil ?

Hi, I know the Marvel's Mystery Oil can be used for after run and air filter oil, but saddly can't find any that stuff over here in canada, is there any alternate brand of oil I can use instead of the one hobby shops selling ?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hi, what type of engine oil can I use for the purpose of After-run oil and filter oil ?

WD-40 works good for after-run. The point is to displace moisture so it doesn't rust, which is what WD-40 was originally designed to do.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 AM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: Hi, what type of engine oil can I use for the purpose of After-run oil and filter oil ?

Automatic transmission fluid.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
rclynx

Bernard shame on you.............LOL
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
CBM Racing

Use airfilter oil from hobbyshop for filter. It is made to be more "sticky" so it traps particles better, and wont just slowly settle down through filter into carb. For after run oil, wd40 is better than nothing at all, but hobby grade after run oil contains not only rust inhibitors, but lubrication for moving parts that wd40 doesn't have. Just like a full size car, first dry starts are when metal to metal contact inside the engine happens, so why take chances of shortened engine life? It is cheap insurance/protection that is inexpensive and easy to do.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been known to flood, literally, my engines with 5W20 or 0W20 motor oil if I'm storing them for a very long time. The two years my NT16 sat idle, it did so flooded with 5W20. Not a spec of rust in there after I tore it down after the crank snapped :P

If I'm going to light it off again within a week, I'll be satisfied with just pinching the line and leaving it. If it's more than that, I'll make sure to fire it off again and let it run completely dry, making sure next-start that I flood it before I even put the ignitor on to ensure it isn't actually running without oil.

For filter oil, I currently use blue HPI AFO, but in the past I've used Dexron-III auto trans fluid with perfect success.

Also, a quart of ATF will probably outlast the engine you are protecting with it :P
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 AM
volcano-s30

Use CRC lube
Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

Automatic transmission fluid.
X2. Any ATF will work fine.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 AM
cooldriver385

Wd 40 for after run oil. My Jato sat for a year in my closet and only have the brown color all engine pistons should have. But barely. I use to use Belray filter oil because it was convenient since i race motocross but i think its too tacky