Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How much are used RC cars really worth??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How much are used RC cars really worth??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How much are used RC cars really worth??

I've read from some RC magazine that used RC cars are not worth too much...

I look on Kijiji everyday and see people selling RC cars with some upgrades very expensive...

Are they really worth it?? I rather spend $500 on a new truck than spending $450 on a truck with some upgrades on it..
Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Sugafree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much are used RC cars really worth??

I normally would Only Pay Less that half for a Used RC in Good Condition with some Hop ups......
(There are a few Mint Condition RC's that may get a little more.....But less than half's my General Rule)
Those Guys on kijiji must smoke Crack.... with some of the Prices I've seen on there That's why ya See the Same Craps RC's on there for months & months.....
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In general yeah, you don't get much back.

I have found though that if you're REALLY careful and a bit lucky, it can be very sensible to get a used truggy or MT or buggy.. Guys invest a ton in them, race them a few times, then sell them for a third of what they paid - or less.. On the bashing side, guys build shelf queens at enormous cost, then don't ever really bash them..(feel sorriest for those German guys with €1500 Savages with Nova 528's and full Nitromods diffs, etc.. from a few years back, who then had to turn around and sell them for €300... )

I feel like I've been in long enough and have had enough RC's to see past the "new is worth more" factor.

Cuz once you get your new truck, run it once, then it's used and knicked and scratched and a bit dirty (or even not..) and you'll just be another guy trying to sell your "used" truck at a huge loss.

So in other words, if you're careful, as with real cars, buying used can be the way to go.. The more I'm into it the more I'm starting to see things that way.

Gotta be careful though, and a bit lucky... Cuz bad luck for you as a buyer of used gear can be lurking out there around every corner.. [:@]

But then I guess that's why used gear is so cheap..
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

^^^Agreed. However, you have to have experience, knowledge base, and patience to pull that off. Those are things that a lot of people don't have, for one reason or another. I'd say in general it's better to buy new. With used you can never be 100% sure what you're getting. Buying off of online sellers is very tricky too. Talk to them about their RC, what they used it for, how much it was used, etc... and get a LOT of GOOD pictures. Then things can pay off big time. Here's what I'd say, if you're new to RC buy a new car, if you're "used" to RC you can buy used.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had brand new rc buggies, truggies, and sedans, at rc swap meets, and I'll say this a vehicle you paid close to 400.00 for new with a 2spd upgrade you won't get offers at the 250.00 range. Same goes with a new ofna mbx I have, when I bought it new it was over 400.00 included a carrying case, pbs suspension, shiny cvds all the way around it was considered one of ofna's best at the time, people would not even make an offer at 275.00.

My advice buy new, and what you want, because if you go to resale it you'll lose your ass. Used is a risk to if don't know the guy turning the carb screws.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:31 AM
DS Machine

I think the responses already posted to this question allude to a good point. R/C cars are probably much like full scale vehicles in that when you 'drive them off the lot' the value goes down considerably. There are probably some pretty good deals out there, though not a majority, from some people trying to sell suped-up rides because they are either upgrading to another model or are unfortunately having money problems. Depending on where you are in the world, however, the used R/C might be the way to go. I've read posts on this forum from time to time where people in the middle east or parts of Europe pay three to four times what some people pay in places like the US. If this is the case then buying a used vehicle off the internet and then fixing it up may be much more cost efficient than buying a new vehicle with a considerable mark-up.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Lilredmachine

It's a relative point as well.

I recently sold my extensively hopped up e-savage for £240, or about $370. Considering a stock E-savage sport will only cost you $260 or so, you are looking at a fairly decent price for a two year old RC with the stock power system still in place.

Remember the old adage, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The market for used Rc vehicles in pennsylvania does not seem real strong. People tend to be more into quads, and or motorcycles, or gaming systems Playstations, Wii, etc. Now rc flying market seems to be better.

I have tried selling on ebay with no luck. Then again though some guys swear by ebay, and as far as finding deals on ebay, yes i have found some great deals on parts, but as far rc vehicles, I can do just as good or better going to Amain, tower, or ultimate hobbies. Again it depends.

And a very valid point was brought up you find the right buyer at the right time you can do all right.