Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

idle problem

Old 06-08-2003, 08:43 PM
cat245

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem

I've got an ek4 and have run 4 tanks through it. the problem is that it idles very fast so that it will run without hitting the throttle. what should i do?
Old 06-08-2003, 11:17 PM
tjmaxx

Default idle problem

Does it have an idle needle. I have heard it is a hard truck to tune.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:40 AM
cemeb4dk

Default idle problem

Does your radio have a throttle dial on it? You should be able to control the idle with the dial. My savage has a dial on its radio one for steering and one for throttle.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:58 AM
Alteramod

Default idle problem

Yes first make sure that your idle trim on your controller is not up to far then if it still moves or idles to fast with the trim all the way down then adjust the idle screw.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:16 AM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

Default idle problem

I have a new EK-4 also and besides what the others have allready said you should consider richening the low speed needle you could also check out the midnight madness site if you haven't allready. I talked to Thunder Tiger last week and they told me the high speed needle should be around 3 turns out the mid range needle flush with the case and the low speed needle 1/4 to 1/2 half turn in from flush. But these settings are a starting point and only for the new model with the tall head. If you have the low speed to lean it really raises the idle. If I can help any more private post me as I have nine differant trucks and a lot of experience tuning. Here's the Mid-Mad link.
http://www.midmad.com/
Old 06-09-2003, 05:04 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default idle problem

Originally posted by Plum Crazy
I have a new EK-4 also and besides what the others have allready said you should consider richening the low speed needle you could also check out the midnight madness site if you haven't allready. I talked to Thunder Tiger last week and they told me the high speed needle should be around 3 turns out the mid range needle flush with the case and the low speed needle 1/4 to 1/2 half turn in from flush. But these settings are a starting point and only for the new model with the tall head. If you have the low speed to lean it really raises the idle. If I can help any more private post me as I have nine differant trucks and a lot of experience tuning. Here's the Mid-Mad link.
http://www.midmad.com/
what do you mean flush..can you describe it?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Alteramod

Default idle problem

like even with it.... like if you have a piece of wood and put a screw in it... you can run your hand over it and not feel your hand catch on the screw or feel a hole it the wood.

flush=even
Old 06-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

Default idle problem

Hi if you go to the Midnight Madness site they have a clear picture of the needles. Just click on EK-4 info and then go to break in settings but if you have the new style Truck with the tall head and raised gas tank you (cant) use their posted settings or it will be way to rich. The needles flush is when the adjusting screw or you can call it a needle is even with the surounding metal of the carbs housing. Also the manuel is really good about describing the break in process. You should set the slide opening at two millameters but if you set the low speed needle 1 and half turns in from flush it will be way lean try it about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn in from flush.Then they state to get it running then set the high speed needle to where it stalls when you give it throttle and then start it again and lean it slightly so it just keeps running when you give it throttle. On break in this thing runs real rich and spits fuel and oil everywhere it also stalls a lot but I ran mine for a gallon like this (it doesn't take long) before iI leaned it out like I said in my above post. Also the clutch became hot and glazed during break in but all you do is lightly sand the shoes. I also changed the shock oil I used 40 wt all around but I recommend 35 wt rear 40 wt front as the stock oil is like water. Take your time it took almost two weeks to break mine in but now after about two minutes of running it wheelies on demand and will take off faster than any other monster truck I have. Next time private post me so I dont have to put all this on the forum and if you still have trouble maybe one of us could call the other. but dont run it lean it overheats very fast if you do.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:51 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default idle problem

Originally posted by Alteramod
like even with it.... like if you have a piece of wood and put a screw in it... you can run your hand over it and not feel your hand catch on the screw or feel a hole it the wood.

flush=even
thanks man ...well new word for me