Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Supercharger System For Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
The Supercharger is worth getting.
5.00%
The Supercharger is NOT worth getting.
10.00%
The Supercharger is a total waste of money.
45.00%
An Engine Upgrade would be more effective for the money.
40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger System For Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
jtrag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger System For Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

Has anyone here used this Supercharger Kit for the Tower Terror? Is it worth the $150 bucks? I was thinking about getting one and wanted to see what everyones opinion on this supercharger kit were. I appreciate any feedback/replies. Thanks

Here's some info on it to make it easier for you guys to view it:

This is an RB Nitro Super-Charger for the Tower Hobbies TOWER Terror Monster Truck, TOWC03**.

FEATURES: Adapts to the Tower Hobbies .25 cu in (4.1cc) engine Polished aluminum finish Typical power gains of 15.6% - 27.3% (depends on engine and pipe combination) High output turbo impeller boosts air intake by 50-200% and increases engine horsepower Low mass turbo impeller design minimizes power drawn from the engine Parts are precision machine from high strength aircraft grade aluminum construction Auxiliary pressure port can be used to boost fuel flow to the the engine. This allows the engine to run consistently from a full to empty fuel cell

INCLUDES: One RB Nitro Super-Charger One mounting bracket One idler pulley One collet Two washers One belt One anti-kink spring One flexible 13-1/4" and 4-1/4" flexible section of tubing One two shoe flywheel One instruction manual Two decal sheets One engine performance enhancements/tuning sheet

REQUIRES: Installation and tuning

SPECS: Width: 2.8" (72mm) Height: 3.7" (95mm)

COMMENTS: This is a high-tech breakthrough for RC engines. After installation, it is important that the engine is re-tuned by an experienced person. RB Innovations does not accept responsibility for any engine damage due to improper skill or use of the product.

– If you need more information, use these RB Innovations resources –

E-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.RBINNOVATIONS.COM/
Phone: 315-451-4440
Postal Address:
RB Innovations
PO BOX 16
MINOA, NY 13116

EDIT: Here's a link directly to the product page for this Supercharger System:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPXT4&P=7
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Straick

Default RE: Supercharger System For Tower Hobbies Nitro TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR

Haven't tried one myself, but it seems like a setup like that would be asking for trouble. It would take your normal tuning "window" and downsize it to a knifes edge of too rich or lean. If you ask me, a better option would be to get a better, more powerful engine.
Just my 2¢ on it though.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 PM
jtrag

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate the feedback. Anyone else who has experience with these or an opinion, feel free to reply to this thread. All replies are welcomed and appreciated on this
Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
DarkFire989

This has been brought up many times. Just dont bother with them. They are worthless.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
jtrag

Is there a reason why you say they are worthless? Could you please be a little more specific? I'm sure there has to be some type of increase in speed/power from it...

What are the Pros and Cons of it?

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
DarkFire989

The engine is incredibly hard to tune. Many people have tried, and failed, there is litterally no benefits to them, sorry. Unless its a shelf queen.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Sugafree

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...mitbutton=+OK+
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
jtrag

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've never used one so I had no idea if it was worth it or not. I guess if I need to, I'll just upgrade the engine or get a better R/C car eventually.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
gonzobot

ive tried one on my trx 2.5 and did see some results but definitely not worth it your better off porting or getting a tune pipe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72842.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1129048  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 PM
jtrag

Cool. Thanks again guys
Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

This guy actually bought the overpriced RB Innovations toy and tested it out for himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4yTADlRuF0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwH7l...eature=related
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM
gonzobot

i dont see any facts in those videos so intill we see some real dyno results the debate is still in the air. but i do agree with you on them being way overpriced
Old 02-06-2009, 11:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I think RC Driver (or was is RC Car?) did a dyno test of one, the engine without and the same engine with the RB Innovations on it. I dont have the mag anymore, but I remember the engine DID make some power increase, but it was very small, like only a few percent more than without it. I do remember that the RB Innovations did NOT get anything near th 15%-30% increase.

I wish I had that mag still, if I remember the issue, I'm pretty sure someone has scanned it and posted it somewhere on the net.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 AM
jtrag

I honestly didn't t think it was worth it just from looking at it, but I wanted to see if anyone here knew for sure. You guys are a big help and really know your stuff around here. Thanks for everything
Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Lilredmachine

If an engine was made for it, with specifically designed crankcases, porting and specific timing I have no doubt it would work. As it is you are seeing a small increase in power due to variable tuning. Over rich at the bottom end and over lean at the top, rather than any as a result of 'boost'.

However, that Squirrel chap acts as an RC demigod. These do put tuning on a knife edge but if you can do it you won't see many adverse effects. There are plenty of videos on youtube of these blowers working pretty damn well in everything from monster trucks, to drag race vehicles and tractor pullers.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
SAVAGEJIM

You bring up a good point. a timing profile in which the intakes is very close in duration to the exhaust is a must. A specifically tunend pipe to return pulses back at the correct time, especially for this timing profile is also a must. The carb too must be modded to dunp much more fuel to keep up with the increased air. And all this is to be able to see any significant power increases from the supercharger.

But the thing is there are NO engines or pipes with timing profiles and return pulse timings to make supercharging work. So, thie only way to do it is to send the engine to a modder and you will have to custom fabricate a pipe yourself from scratch. Rhe same goes for the carb.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 AM
jtrag

Even though this is made specifically for the TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR, the engine will still need modifications to see maximum results from it? I figured since it is made specifically for the TOWER Terror MT .25 RTR, that it would be as simple as bolting it on and poof, you have 15-28% power gain. Thats the way they make it sound in the ad anyway LOL.

Figures... Thank god I posted this thread first before I went ahead and bought it :P
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
SAVAGEJIM

It is made specificaaly for the Tower terror ONLY in that it will bolt on. The RB Innovations expensive toy will only Sap power, and add little except lean it out like crazy.

The Tower Terror nitro engine DOES NOT have the timing profile nor the pipe to get any possible benefit from the RB Innovations. You would have to hog out the sleeve itake ports to be very close to the duration of the exhaust port. Additionally, you Must have a custom fabricate pipe to return the pulses correctly on that new timing profile.

So, in the end, the Tower Terror engine would Also require extensive modifications to benefit at all from supercharging.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:20 PM
gonzobot

i wouldnt say they just lean the engine out. rb superchargers have a nipple that sould be hooked up to the fuel tank inorder to push more fuel through the carb. so in in theory the carb sould pick up on the increase of air flow and mix the a/f raito accordingly just like it would with natural aspiration
Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That is new, they never had that nozzle before, well, the RBenson Innovations supercharger that I actually touched to help fix was for a TMax, and that was a couple of years back.
This nozzle, it souds like you will have to use a "T" splitter so you can get the pressure line from the pipe AND the waste gate (I assume it also functions as a wastegate) from the impellor to throw pressure into the fuel tank.

However, just because there is a pressure line to the tank still does not address that absolutely none of our nitro engines have the timing profiles or pipes that are suitable for supercharging, at least not without extensive modifications.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
HJJFFFAA

It doesn't work. Plain and simple. No valves equals no extra air/fuel.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree here 100%. The exhaust post of our valveless nitro engins simply stay open too long for that boosted charge to remain in the combustion chamber.

Other 2stokes that CAN benefit from forced induction are the valved drawthrough engines, the rotax-style 2strokes with a rotary valve, and possibly reed valved engines (though I dont think the reeds would be to effective in holding that increased pressure in the cuombustion chamber).

The only reason why I think was suggesting that the intakes should be cut way up to close to the duration of the exhaust port is to minimize the blow-by of the boosted charge. Alot of the boosted charge would still be lost since both ports remain open, but by minimizing how long the exhust stays open longer than the intake can possibly get some of that boost to remain in the combustion chamber, I am thinking about the inertia of air and the fuel suspended in it would help keep some, if just a little, of the increase pressure in the cylinder by the time the exhaust closes.

Unfortunately, NO model loop scavenging valveless 2strokes have their intake timing profiles close to the exhaust profile.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 AM
calvino

All it does is causes an overlean condition in the engine. Just watch PT 2 of the video. At the end the guy says its nothing amazing, it makes tuning next to impossible.... just forget it, it kills the engine. IMO you are better off trying to cut some channels... into your sleeve for a (slight) power increase and more fuel efficency or just get a new pipe and (or) engine.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I think the reason why it makes it harder to tune is. You now have a pressurized carb so it doenst pull the fuel in. I bet it woudl be a lot more effective if the carb was on the inlet of the supercharger. That way you still have a vaccuum pulling the fuel in to the engine.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 AM
gonzobot

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I think the reason why it makes it harder to tune is. You now have a pressurized carb so it doenst pull the fuel in. I bet it woudl be a lot more effective if the carb was on the inlet of the supercharger. That way you still have a vaccuum pulling the fuel in to the engine.

i agree complete not to say it cant be done after all the concept works with other applications. but like SAVAGEJIM said the timing profiles are just not suited to see much of a gain from force injection

[link]http://www.procharger.com/newsletter/2006/technology.html[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.