Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

choosing a truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
1150ap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing a truck

well i have desided that i want the savage 4.6 or the t maxx 3.3 and i cant pic wat one to buy could you tell me the pros and cons of both please i would like to get the savage

i only do back yard driving in the parks but i run my 2.5 on the road were i would like to run my 3.3 or savage and i want to go fast and have a reliable truck that lasts my 2.5 is worn out
Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: choosing a truck

The new t maxx is supposed to be pretty good. Everything is compaired to the savage for a reason. Its a solid truck and its fast. You may also want to look at the Losi Aftershock. Its even tougher than the Savage but not quite as fast in stock form. If you have teh cash then look at the Losi XXl. This is just one of those things that you just have to go for. Pick one and have fun. Lots of great trucks to chose from.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
derrick05

Plus one on that Losi XXLThat thing is the new Bull of The Woods when it comes to nitro MTs.If you can afford it,get it.If you cant afford it,save up til you can
Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

My t-maxx has just been a big headach and lots of problems.but its an older model.im not saying not to get it. the new one is probely alot better. and what does your hobby shop stock parts for?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 AM
TGreg

Ive had both (Savage and T-Maxx, not xxlst) and for you the savage is better. it just does not break haha. The T-maxx is funner though in my opinion, its faster, more nimble and i love those 3.3s, BUT it breaks, alot.

Hope that helps
Old 03-14-2009, 08:09 PM
yoster

I've had experience with both. That T-Maxx 3.3 is pretty darn quick, though now that the Savage X comes with the F4.6 it is as well. In my experience, the T-Maxx doesn't topple over as easily in turns, but it bottoms out much easier than the savage. Also, I don't know if it's just the T-Maxx I've been using or what, but the clutch has been nothing but problematic. Also, the stupid flywheel has broken a pin twice, making the clutch come off. I'm sure these are just flukes, but worth mentioning.

So my Savage has been more durable, and seems to jump better than the Maxx, BUT, I LOVE the easystart system on the traxxas vehicles. It just makes it so much easier. If you're out bashing, all you need to bring with you while you're away from the pit station is the easy-starter (incase it dies while you're out there). With the savage, I have to bring a glow starter and the rotostart; just one extra thing to weigh you down (I've since purchased a tool-belt I wear when I'm out, so I can walk around with my fuel and everything right on me while I'm bashing. I never have to go back to my pit area).

Long story short, purchase the one that you think looks the coolest (seriously). These are both great trucks. It's my opinion that today with RC, just about every vehicle out there is solid; they've really come a long way! If you're getting back into RC, and you're familiar with the 2.5, I would probably stick with the T-Maxx. Hobby stores seem to carry more Traxxas parts than anything else. I myself am a savage guy, but again both are great choices.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

You may also want to look at the Losi Aftershock. Its even tougher than the Savage but not quite as fast in stock form.
LOL! So what's "tougher" about flimsy brittle suspension arms, undersized knuckles and carriers, poorly designed and brittle chassis rails, and pathetic CV drives? If you're going to buy a Losi, you might as well just get a LST2/XXL to begin with, as those are closer to the Savage, but still quite far behind.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM
twomanytoys

So you are saying the savage does not have weak brittle a arms, weak diffs, weak dog bones, shocks etc...?

Since owning my Aftershock with UPGRADED RPM a arms I have not broke any part on it. On the savage I have been through several diffs, dog bones, and have also upgraded to rpm a arms. If you do the research you will see that the Aftershock/LSt has a much stronger drivetrain with very little complaints on it unlike the Savage. I have 2 savages, aftershock, MGT 4.6 , 8.0 and 3.0. The Aftershock has been the most trouble free truck I have and both my savages, aftershock and MGT 4.6 run the LRP engines. The LRP tears up savage parts. Teh aftershock with LRP is wayyy faster than the savage with the LRp and it also handles way better. I am a Savage guy and love my Savages but I will not say the Savage is the strongest truck because its not!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:36 PM
rclynx

LOL! So what's "tougher" about flimsy brittle suspension arms, undersized knuckles and carriers, poorly designed and brittle chassis rails, and pathetic CV drives? If you're going to buy a Losi, you might as well just get a LST2/XXL to begin with, as those are closer to the Savage, but still quite far behind.
[&:] I think he likes it [:'(]

well i have desided that i want the savage 4.6 or the t maxx 3.3 and i cant pic wat one to buy could you tell me the pros and cons of both please i would like to get the savage
Thats almost a Gimmy [&o] T-Maxx is one heck of a good looking truck and after you put hundreds of dollars of those beautiful after market parts it will be even more beautifuller..lol...couldn't resist that. After all that it will be as durable as the Savage. They both have a tendence to roll over (good doggy) the T-max a little more than the Savage. As a matter of fact the Savage has just about as many uogrades as the T-maxx but they are more bling than anything. Now that didn't help at all did it [] I work on both of them quite often and I'm not sure if its there are more of those 2 out there or if they both just break a lot [&:].......There both MT's and MT's break a lot if you don't know how to drive them right or even if you do there stats are double or even tripple the repair needed compaired to a 1/8 Buggy or Truggy There both good man, flip a coin and get it over with Good Luck and HAPPY RC'en
Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

So you are saying the savage does not have weak brittle a arms, weak diffs, weak dog bones, shocks etc...?
Weak brittle arms, absolutely not. I have owned my Savage for nearly 5 years and have only broken 2 suspension arms. And both SHOULD have broke given the extreme circumstances. HPI uses a very tough nylon plastic to mold the arms, the original 21/25 arms are more durable than RPM arms. Aftershock arms are absolutely pathetic, which is why Losi significantly altered them when they designed the LST2.

The differentials are a weak point. The bearings are severely undersized, as are the ring and pinion gear teeth. However, a simple swap to CEN differentials eliminates 95% of the drivetrain issues. Also, the Aftershock differentials are no better - they use plastic diff cups which wear quickly, and undersized 2.5mm outdrive pins which snap easily.

Savage XL/Flux dogbones are FAR from weak. Much tougher than stock aftershock shafts. I have yet to hear of anyone snapping one.

Savage shocks are much tougher than Aftershock/LST2 shocks. I ran LST2 shocks on my Savage for a while, but after snapping 6 shafts at the end of the threads, I went back to stock, and have had less problems.

Since owning my Aftershock with UPGRADED RPM a arms I have not broke any part on it.
Try hitting some jumps. You'll find that it falls apart.

On the savage I have been through several diffs, dog bones, and have also upgraded to rpm a arms.
I'm not surprised that you managed to tear the drivetrain apart. It needs quite a bit of work to hold up to decent engines. However, with the $60 that you spend on RPM LST arms and a bit of creative shopping, you could completely eliminate differential and dogbone issues. Spend $60 on both, and the Savage is still tougher.

Also, RPM arms are not an upgrade on a Savage, unless you run the poorly designed "lightweight" HPI arms.

If you do the research you will see that the Aftershock/LSt has a much stronger drivetrain with very little complaints on it unlike the Savage.
Hmmm, I've done my research, and I know that the Aftershock/LST diff cups wear out after a few gallons, the differential outdrive pins snap quite easily, and the Aftershock CV drives break easily, hence why they were upgrades on the LST2. Much stronger? No. They both have issues. Thing is, the Savage has a much tougher chassis, which gives it a significant edge in overall durability.

I have 2 savages, aftershock, MGT 4.6 , 8.0 and 3.0. The Aftershock has been the most trouble free truck I have and both my savages, aftershock and MGT 4.6 run the LRP engines. The LRP tears up savage parts.
If you have managed to make an Aftershock and 3 MGTs hold up more effectively than a Savage, you obviously don't do any serious bashing. I have ran a LST2, which is far superior to an Aftershock in every way, for 2 hours, and managed to break more Losi parts than I did HPI parts in the first year that I owned my Savage.

Teh aftershock with LRP is wayyy faster than the savage with the LRp and it also handles way better.
Properly setup and piped, they should be very similar in top speed. Just more evidence to suggest that you don't know what you are doing.

I am a Savage guy and love my Savages but I will not say the Savage is the strongest truck because its not!
Ah, but see, that is where you are wrong. I'm not stating that the Savage is indestructible, as it does require extensive modification to hold up well, but out of the box, it is much tougher than the Aftershock.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

You may also want to look at the Losi Aftershock. Its even tougher than the Savage but not quite as fast in stock form.
Dude,come on now,lets keep it real and be honest about it.Its clear that you love savages and thats okay,theres nothing wrong with that,but if you are an experienced nitroman then you know that the Savages quality is no where near as good as LosiXXL.Losi is top notch quality RC.Savages are very good and Im not taking nothing from them,but Losi quality is a force to be reckoned with.Im a cen man,but Im being honest.As far as durability goes,the Savage cant even compare to my Nemesis.Ive had em all and Im speaking from experience and it is what it is,no matter how bad you hate it[:'(]
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM
sparky 25

If i were in your shoes i would definitely go with the savage,

Ive just bought a new savage x ss kit and it is just brilliant,

it is fast and nimble and i have not found it to be unsteady at speed (unlike my cen gst)

ive given it a fair amount of abuse already and it just comes back for more[8D]

it has a good top speed and the engine holds a tune great,

and i would have to say that it is quicker than an aftershock with an os30,

i have had a lot of nitro trucks and the savage is probably imo the best all rounder for bashing,

its nice and light and can get air from the smallest of jumps and is very controllable mid flight,

i just wish i had bought mine years earlier
Old 03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
twomanytoys

Nope I dont know what I am doing. I have only been in rc for over 20yrs and have owned just about every truck made. Ok you are right and Im wrong. The savage is the toughest truck out and the drivetrain is superior to every other truck. I dont like to bash either because its too tough on my trucks so I just putt around in my back yard and my 2 sons 11 and 6 dont abuse the trucks either. I tell them to take it slow because I dont want anything to break. Sorry I was wrong.You win

Old 03-15-2009, 04:33 PM
twomanytoys

Also hpisavagerc can you show me any posts of the aftershock blowing diffs, trannies and snapping cv shafts? I can sure show you plenty of posts about the savage.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

Can't we all just get along? LOL ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... Anyhow to be honest I think in the end you should get what you want and don't base it on others opinions that one rc is superior to others.......... Every rc has their strong points and weak points, its shown many times on the hundreds of posts with users having different problems with any brand of rc...............

I still like to ask others opinions just to see what they like about the rc, not really so on the dislikes....... I then like to try and test out different ones I am interested in getting (luckily alot of my family and friends are into rc's so theres alot of different rc's I can try and test out) and then from there I choose............ IN THE END CHOOSE WHAT YOU THINK YOU'LL LIKE THE BEST AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT ALL THE OTHERS MAY SAY THATS NEGATIVE ABOUT THE RC, BECAUSE EVERY RC ARE GOING TO HAVE ITS FLAWS..........
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: ilanstylz

Can't we all just get along? LOL ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... Anyhow to be honest I think in the end you should get what you want and don't base it on others opinions that one rc is superior to others.......... Every rc has their strong points and weak points, its shown many times on the hundreds of posts with users having different problems with any brand of rc...............

I still like to ask others opinions just to see what they like about the rc, not really so on the dislikes....... I then like to try and test out different ones I am interested in getting (luckily alot of my family and friends are into rc's so theres alot of different rc's I can try and test out) and then from there I choose............ IN THE END CHOOSE WHAT YOU THINK YOU'LL LIKE THE BEST AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT ALL THE OTHERS MAY SAY THATS NEGATIVE ABOUT THE RC, BECAUSE EVERY RC ARE GOING TO HAVE ITS FLAWS..........
Exactly right. I have all these trucks for a reason. I like them all. I dont put down a truck because of its downfalls. They all have downfalls. In my opinion the savage is the best basher but the Aftershock has a stronger drivetrain. I have not had to change one drivetrain part on the Aftershock unlike both my savages all running the same power. MGT also has a super solid drivetrain and installing a forward only conversion makes it darn near bulletproof. Any truck you choose you will have fun with and you will have to work on at some point.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
-SomeGuy-

Its amazing how these threads allways turn into arguments.

I usually avoid these threads like the plague but after seeing so many over the years Im really getting tired of them. Someone who wants to do a little research is asking a simple question and it always turns nasty. Not a great way to attract new members to the forum and/or hobby.

What we need is a rating system. Rate each truck in many different categories like durability, handling, easy to work on and so on. Not to try to find which is the overall better truck but just so people can look at the results and find what they are looking for in a truck. Done properly it could make for a great sticky (that would need to be updated for new trucks) and help avoid all these useless arguments.

This is not directed at anyone who posted in this thread specifically, its for all the threads like this.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 AM
MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: -SomeGuy-

Its amazing how these threads allways turn into arguments.

I usually avoid these threads like the plague but after seeing so many over the years Im really getting tired of them. Someone who wants to do a little research is asking a simple question and it always turns nasty. Not a great way to attract new members to the forum and/or hobby.

What we need is a rating system. Rate each truck in many different categories like durability, handling, easy to work on and so on. Not to try to find which is the overall better truck but just so people can look at the results and find what they are looking for in a truck. Done properly it could make for a great sticky (that would need to be updated for new trucks) and help avoid all these useless arguments.

This is not directed at anyone who posted in this thread specifically, its for all the threads like this.

Well said [sm=thumbs_up.gif] .....> [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8378985/anchors_8378985/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8378985]Buyer Guide Nitro Monster Truck [/link]
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 AM
twomanytoys

The new t maxx is supposed to be pretty good. Everything is compaired to the savage for a reason. Its a solid truck and its fast. You may also want to look at the Losi Aftershock. Its even tougher than the Savage but not quite as fast in stock form. If you have teh cash then look at the Losi XXl. This is just one of those things that you just have to go for. Pick one and have fun. Lots of great trucks to chose from.
I never said anything negative about any of the trucks mentioned. Just stated my opinion then I got jumped on so I defended my statement. Im done with this. Its not worth arguing about.