Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

shock and spring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock and spring question

Would I get the same result by putting spacers on my blue (medium) springs than I would if I put red (firm) springs on my MMGT?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: shock and spring question

No.

You can attain the same ride height or pre-tension , but the spring rate will still be higher on the firmer springs. The load would be identical perhaps at only one point in travel.

Anything above that point (higher) would be less and anything below that point would be more stiffer with the firmer springs.. There are many variables in addition like total length, compressed length.

Hope this is kinda what you are asking. without knowing what "result" you are after. If it is simply a higher truck it may be the same result, if it's simply stronger spring thoughtout travel then it is the same result.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
dacaur

No. Spring spacers should ONLY be used to adjust ride height. Adding spring spacers WONT increase the springs firmness until your ride height is maxxed out, at which point you have no droop, and your handling will be crap... A set of firmer springs will give you the firmer rate without increasing ride height (other than your trucks weight will compress them less) You could also just increase your shock oil WT to get a firmer feel, but that can have negative affects too if you go too far (going from 30wt to 45 wt is OK, but you don't want to go from, say, 30-60 wt.....) The best thing for you to do depends on why you want the firmer springs... If you are happy with the shock action but bottom out over big jumps, you want thicker shock oil. If you have tried thicker oil but the then the suspension responds too slow, then you want firmer springs.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM
breezerboat

The reason for the question is b/c I think my truck bottoms out too easily on jump. If I drop it from thigh high it will hit the undercarage. Not sure how to determine if the springs are correct or not. I figure I should at least be able to drop it on all four tires from waist high w/o hitting the bottom of the truck. Not sure though. any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

First choice is probably thicker oil, second choice is stronger spring rate.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
rclynx

Third choice is they all bottom out at one time or another, thats why they made the bottom plate flat and recessed all the screws so that nothing would be hurt [:@]
Old 04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

The reason for the question is b/c I think my truck bottoms out too easily on jump. If I drop it from thigh high it will hit the undercarage. Not sure how to determine if the springs are correct or not. I figure I should at least be able to drop it on all four tires from waist high w/o hitting the bottom of the truck. Not sure though. any thoughts?
I would say what you need is thicker oil. I can drop my XXL from waist high and it doesn't bottom out. Just goes "whump" and stops at ride height. Try going up 15-20 wt on the shock oil, if that still doesn't do it, then go for stiffer springs.

rclynx. last I checked the MMGT doesnt have a flat bottom ... You are thinking of truggies or stadium trucks, which ARE designed to bottom out over big jumps, but thats because the suspension is super soft for racing on groomed track. Monster trucks should have stiffer suspension for "real" offroad enviroments. If a monster truck bottoms out when dropped from waist high, something is wrong...
Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 AM
rclynx

LOL oopsa your right, Tax day and trying to get through the forums to relax a little [:@] but then I've never seen a MMGT bottom out unless something was in need of repair. I swear I'll be awake by friday [&:] If you have a lot of sag or improper ride height it might slap a little [X(]
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 AM
breezerboat

I will try the new shock oil and see how it does. What weight should I get? I'm not sure what the MMGT has as stock.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM
dacaur

Check your manual, it should say.. its probably 30wt, as thats the most common weight in RTR's.... I would try 40 or 45 wt....