RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

T-Maxx Trans. help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Mike Lang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx Trans. help.

Hey all,

I have a problem that hopefully someone has experienced.

I ran 4 new tanks of fuel (10 total) and everything is rocking. I guess my on board batteries have worn some and I got a sluggish response from the steering, lost control and slammed into the curb.

Results were a totalled front bumper, which absorbed most of the impact, BUT 3 screws sheared off in the plastic bulkheads, from the bumper support arms.

MY PROBLEM is this- the truck ran for another 1/2 tank and on a full throtle wide turn, in fell out of gear. Now it starts but I cannot go forward or reverse, engine just winds, what or where do I look to "adjust" something. Is there a fly wheel or something that may have come loose on impact?

Also how can I get these screws out. I do plan on getting aluminum bukheads, but I just picked up new threaded shocks(x8), a sirio 3.0 & pipe, aluminum chasis supports, and titaniu, turnbuckles so funds are low for right now.

Any input or help as always would be GLADLY appreciated.

THANKS in advance.

LESSON LEARNED, even an open parking lot has potential "hazards".
Old 06-24-2003, 01:39 AM
Rokshumani

Well with an impact of that magnitude, did you check to see if the engine moved at all? I had an accident sort of similar to that and it moved the engine just enough to not allow it to engage properly.

Just a thought??
Old 06-24-2003, 01:40 AM
Dlock

Does the slipper gear rotate? If is does not then it's probably the clutch on your engine. Other than that it could be inside the tranny. If you still have reverse check out the forward reverse mechanism. Something might be bad there.

As for the screws you could probably drill them out, or if you can grab hold of them with pliers get them out that way.....
Old 06-24-2003, 01:59 AM
Mike Lang

It does not look like the engine moved, nothing is bent there. The slipper gear spins as freely as it did before. If I turn it on and give it half throttle it jerks forward once every second, I brake and engage reverse and get similar results, a reversing jerk every second. I do not want to wind the engine out. Is there somewhere I can get a manual for what things should look like, I have no clue what should be where, and since it is a RTR the manual has only very basic trouble shooting options, and from what I see it says not to wind out the engine, just keep shifting untill you get a geaer which does not make that much sense.
Thanks for trying to help. Any other ideas?
I am going to take the whelels off and give a thorough look around for any other damage.
ML
Old 06-24-2003, 03:20 AM
Dlock

I would check the 2 speed section of the tranny. It sounds like either your one way bearing(part # 4986)is bad, or there is something wrong with the shaft(part # 4993) that goes through the one way bearing. If you go here you can see an exploded view of the T Maxx 2.5 Tranny http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...maxx_views.htm You need Adobe Acrobat, but it is well worth it.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Legendary

Default Sounds like you smoked the trans!

I have had this happen 4 times before I put in metal gears in my trans (1 Gallon and no sign of any ware at all!)! I would bet that you have one or more stripped gears in your trans! As Dlock said you can download the manual for the tranny and everything else on the Traxxas website!
Old 06-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Mike Lang

Default Slipper Gear?

The slipper gear spins freely, my question is this. Is the slipper gear supposed to maintain tight contact to the main gear outside and in front of the engine under the carborator? Because they only seem to barely touch.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Legendary

Default YES!

If you are talking about the clutch bell then YES! The 2 gears that that you can see should be meshed togther! If they don't touch your truck don't go!

P.S. If this are not touching then your engine moved!
Old 06-24-2003, 04:48 AM
Mike Lang

Default Moved engine

If the engine moved, forgive me for sounding green, I am new, but would that mean the motor mounts are bent. I looked at the bottom and they all look square and straight.

The gear that spins freely, now that I looked at a diagram is the Spur gear, the gear it spins over and hardly touches , per the diagram is the clutch bell.

If this is the case, do you think a simple replacing of the motor mounts would do?

I cant believe I broke this so fast, I feel like a idiot. I just found a broken piece to the lower control arm, I guess that would be the reason for the hard right turn it made before impact...I forgot to mention that I ordered upper and lower aluminum control arms all around, I guess I jinxed myself.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Dlock

It does not necissarily mean your engine mounts are broken. You could just need to adjust the position of your engine. There are four screws that are accessable from underneath your truck that you use to take the engine off. Unscrew those and inspect the engine mount, if the mount is good then just re-mesh the two gears.....
Old 06-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Mike Lang

Thanks. luckily I am home from work today and I will do what you suggest right now, thanks. I'll let you know..
Old 06-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Legendary

Default Yes,

Just like Dlock said! I have been saying that alot latly Dlock!LOL As long as the plastic spur gear is not stipped out you should be able to adjust your engine to fix that problem! I would get a steel spur gear! It was the first thing that went out on my 2 Maxx's!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Dlock

Great minds think alike right Legendary? .....
Old 06-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Legendary

Default You got that right!

Old 06-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Mike Lang

Default THANKS DUDE

You guys ROCK.

Lets put it this way, I will have to expalin the crescent moon shapped stretch I just layed in my lawn

See, what I can figure now, as hind sight is 20/20, is that I had a multiple problem all of which was my fault. First I break in the truck, then I crash the truck, figuring that the crash was the fault of my crazy driving skills. NO, the lower plastic control arm was broke-THATS WHY I CRASHED, secondly, I did not really once over the truck to make sure all was tight :stupid: NOW you guys guide me to fix the truck, and I now have 50% more confidence in how this thing really works. I hope I can return the favor.

THANK YOU!!!!

BTW the engine was off, I loosened all 4 nuts and moved it over to the left so as to seat one gear up against the other. I tell you something though, I know for a fact the engine was too far away right out of the box b/c I remember spining the spur gear freely saying "wow, I wonder what comes out to engage this thing: :stupid:

Thanks again!!

Mike
Old 06-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Rokshumani

FYI...

The spur should spin freely even while meshed properly with the clutch bell. An old trick to get the mesh just right is to put a piece of notebook paper between the gears, push the gears together and tighten down the motor.....then roll the paper out and you should have a pretty darn good mesh.

Don't forget to use Locktite on the screws holding the motor down.

Damon
Old 06-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Mike Lang

Default SPur gear

I understand what you mean about spinning freely, it does and thanks. I guess green locktite? I think its the one you do not have to heat to loosen.

What I meant before about the spinning is the spur would spin MEGA freely, if I stopped it prematurely, "SOMETHING else kept spinning freely, which was the clutch bell.

Now both spin freely together.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Rokshumani

I use Blue Locktite. You don't have to heat it.

Glad to help