Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

HPI SAVAGE VS TRAXXAS T-MAXX/REVO

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI SAVAGE VS TRAXXAS T-MAXX/REVO

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI SAVAGE VS TRAXXAS T-MAXX/REVO

I am looking to get a new(to me) 4wd truck. I am mainly looking to get a good used ride. Is $300 a good price for a used SAVAGE 25? I have heard people say that these machines are bulletproof? It is pretty much either get this or put in another $100 and get a new T-MAXX 3.3. Which would be the best choice? I might even decide to spring for a new revo but i am a cheap S-O-B so i dunno. But i look forward to any and all information. Do they still make parts for the SAVAGE 25 for when a mishap happens, i heard that they stopped making it when they came out with the SAVAGE X? Are the parts by chance interchangeable?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI SAVAGE VS TRAXXAS T-MAXX/REVO

One word- Search...

Seriously its all there and its been done thousands of time before this
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Yea parts are still avalable for the 25. I believe most of the parts between the 25 and x are interchangeable. I would spend a few bucks more for an x though. They have a bigger radio box, ez access difs (6 screw and the diff is out), 7 screws and the transmission gears are out with the engine still in the truck. S25 is not as easy to work on.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I don't own a Savage, however... my Revo has impressed me since day 1. I took it out the other day and was still VERY impressed (after owning it for almost 5 years)... Every truck will break... and every truck will have good days / bad days...
Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 PM
IloveMYxt2

savage
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 PM
jikkuria

i believe that a savage is the best choice. i have a revo and a t-max and i love both, but the savage is known to be more reliable. i have had great luck with my traxxas rides, but i have seen some savages take abuse that my t-maxx most definetly couldn't. i have heard that the s-25 was the strongest of the older designs, but don't quote me on that.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Bashing aside, would a savage X be able to compete at all with a t-maxx or a revo on a track? I'm not looking to get hardcore in any racing, but i would like to take my truck out to my local dirt track everyonce in a while and at least have a chance to come away with a win.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
MadManAndrew

I own a Savage X, REVO 3.3, and an E-MAXX, and to this day, the answer is still plain and simple any time somebody asks...GET A SAVAGE!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
xonikcocker

If you plan on going to a local track often or maybe even racing then I would suggest a Revo. I own a Savage X 4.6 and it's great for bashing and with its high ground clearance it also does great in the grass and woods, but when it comes to the track the thing just rolls around all over the place. If you do get a Savage, be sure to check the spur gear mesh right away as I have already stripped 4 spur gears and I've only owned mine 2 weeks! but I got it all settled and haven't stripped another one yet.

Edit: Just saw your post above. My younger brother has a .28 OFNA Buggy and we go to the track all the time and race. Almost every time we are neck and neck and I'm racing with my bone stock Savage X. So unless your friends are competetive racers then you should be fine with the Savage on the track.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: xonikcocker
as I have already stripped 4 spur gears and I've only owned mine 2 weeks! but I got it all settled and haven't stripped another one yet.
A vented clutch bell would fix that...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
xonikcocker

Yes but that should not be happening in the first place. They should include a vented clutchbell and not make the buyer go out and buy one to fix a "RTR" truck. I am not bashing the Savage in any way, I still love it. I'm just saying I got one that didn't get meshed properly from the factory.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Is the clutch bell a common required upgrade for a savage? or did that guy just have a single bad experience?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: AnAlternateEgo

Is the clutch bell a common required upgrade for a savage? or did that guy just have a single bad experience?
I've heard many reports of spur / clutch bell problems on the Savages..

You can race a Savage, but you'll have an easier time with a Revo.....

As xonikcocker inadvertantly pointed out... no matter how AWESOME of a race truck you have, driver skill is EVERYTHING with racing. The Revo is more "race-ready"... however can still take a pretty good beating... the Savage is a great basher, but has a rough time on the track...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM
del1969

ORIGINAL: RenegadeRevo

As xonikcocker inadvertantly pointed out... no matter how AWESOME of a race truck you have, driver skill is EVERYTHING with racing. The Revo is more ''race-ready''... however can still take a pretty good beating... the Savage is a great basher, but has a rough time on the track...

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND
REVO'S SUCK
You can race a savage, just drop it down a bit, dont buy anything traxxas.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: del1969
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND
REVO'S SUCK
Wow, what a juvenile post.

Just sharing my observation. My Revo has been a great truck for me over the past 5 years. It's bashed with the best... I even raced a few times. I also own a Slash, and it's a LOT of fun... hasn't broken yet, but I also haven't really pushed the limits yet.

In case you missed it, I actually said you CAN race a Savage, but the Revo is more suited to handle it.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Clymer122693

As xonikcocker inadvertantly pointed out... no matter how AWESOME of a race truck you have, driver skill is EVERYTHING with racing. The Revo is more ''race-ready''... however can still take a pretty good beating... the Savage is a great basher, but has a rough time on the track...

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND
REVO'S SUCK

And this is why the Savage has 5 or 6 national titles? Oops wait thats the Revo.

I own a Savage X SS and a Revo and will tell you right now the Savage does not belong on the track. Sure it can be raced,anything can but it doens't belong there. Kinda like a gay guy in a female Strip Club.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND
REVO'S SUCK

And this is why the Savage has 5 or 6 national titles? Oops wait thats the Revo.
The Savage has 2 national titles actually...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: the JoKeR
The Savage has 2 national titles actually...
Care to share source / citation?

Revo titles...

2008 RC Pro Finals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=610

2007 RC International Finals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...cat=143&id=584

2006 RC Pro Finals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...cat=143&id=584

2005 RC Pro Finals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...cat=143&id=484

2004 RC Pro Finals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...491&artlang=en

In other words... EVERY YEAR SINCE IT CAME OUT, it dominated R/C Pro....

2008 ROAR 2nd and 3rd Place standings were REVO's... no Savages (First place to Adam Drake w/LST2)
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=598

2007 ROAR Nationals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...cat=143&id=558

2006 ROAR Nationals
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...cat=143&id=526

Interestingly enough... no Savages even made it to the podium... Hmmmm... [X(]

Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
xonikcocker

So to sum it all up: If you play on bashing almost all the time and drive on grass alot I would still suggest a Savage. If you plan on going to the track more than once a month and don't need the ground clearance from a Savage for bashing, then a Revo will be perfect.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: xonikcocker
So to sum it all up: If you play on bashing almost all the time and drive on grass alot I would still suggest a Savage. If you plan on going to the track more than once a month and don't need the ground clearance from a Savage for bashing, then a Revo will be perfect.
Not to be a nay-sayer, but... even the Savage XL only boasts ground clearance just over 3"... Savage X SS is right about 3"...

Since it's inception, the Revo has had 4" of ground clearance (verifiable). Even the Revo Platinum (Race Edition) can be setup to 4" of ground clearance... the "new" Revo 3.3 boasts 4.25" ground clearance... http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...5309_specs.htm

A Revo, setup like mine was...

... can EASILY gain a ground clearance advantage over it's HPI competitors... and still retain some of it's handling characteristics (although extremely altered) along with everything else that makes the Revo such a good truck. The Revo is looked over by many bashers because it dominated the race scene... but I bought it for bashing... and it's a well-equipped basher.

I would put my Revo up against any Savage at any point in time in a bashing session.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
RenegadeRevo

Wow, I guess the numbers and facts stand unrivaled....

Kinda hard to argue with the truth, huh? [X(]
Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I think most people are just sick of the way these debates always run. "Savage is better." "No, Revo is better." "Savage is better because I have on and like it." "No, Revo is better because I have one and like it. Oh, and it has more ground clearance!!!!11!!1!!11!!!"

These arguments feature a severe lack of quantitative figures. The only facts people ever cite are race results and meaningless values. I've largely stopped debating the issue, because it becomes a waste of time. Until someone tests the various strengths (Tensile, yield, shear, impact) of the components of the trucks, and does a full force analysis on each component, everyone will disagree. No matter how obviously correct they are, opinions will always be disputed. Quantitative values are what end arguments for good.

On that note, here's what I think. No Revo has ever driven away from the Redneck Bashers' monster hill. Only a few Savages have NOT driven away.

I've also never seen a Savage that can keep up to a skilled Revo driver on a track.

Two completely different beasts. In all honesty I could recommend either, but it depends entirely on the application.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 AM
mousecritter
My Feedback: (3)

Is $300 a good price for a used SAVAGE 25?
Whoever is trying to sell you a Savage 25 for $300 is a jerkoff. You can Purchase a brand new Savage X 4.6 at Towerhobbies with the $60 off $300 coupon for a total of $370 + free shipping. If you don't have a membership at Towers, it'll cost $10 for a year... well worth it for the money saved in the future.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM
army2000ng

I would have to agree with you on this, I love my Savage, but because of its heavy frame it slams to the ground like a rock, causing the stearing servo arms to break, while my traxxas because of its wide body tends to float. I wil never get rid of my Savage, just won't use it much for jumping. Just my opinion. GEYEHobbies does offer some and free shipping. Though you might want to know.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM
army2000ng

For $300.00 you can buy a new 1/8 at just about any hobby store, I went to geyehobbies and purchased a lanslide and an earthquake with free shipping. Both were under $300.00 They do sell traxxas, which I currently own and enjoy playing. I purchase a Savage 1 year ago for $250.00, beside being out of tune, it was worht the money. It is still working perfectly. Just remember when you buy used check the discription and ask questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.