Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage prob!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 PM
remten2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage prob!!!

Since i installed my .25 engine I have been having a problem with my rear diff...The little shaft that the 2 spider gear rides on keeps gounging notches into the diff casing causing the gears to become out of mesh....I fixed it last week....Tried it today not even finish my tank of fuel and had the same problem happening again....So i am out of spare notches in my diff casing....Will the 4 spider diff mod cure this problem 100% ?

I oredered all the parts needed to do the 4 spider diff mod along with 2 new diff cases...So my savage will be sitting on the shelf for another 3 weeks before i get all the parts...This sux so bad....I had real fun with it on the track.....
Old 07-01-2003, 03:54 AM
neonspin

Default savage prob!!!

I used the insides of an 1/8 buggy diff to rebuild mine. I never had a problem since. Thats the beauty of 1/8 scale stuff, alot of it is interchangable no matter who makes it. I would try to find a LHS that sells alot of buggies, they will have all the parts you need. The hell with waiting for three weeks for parts.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 PM
remten2001

Default savage prob!!!

could you be more specific on what part# you use for the mod?
Old 07-02-2003, 03:59 AM
neonspin

Default savage prob!!!

I had some extra diff guts from my GS STORM. the gears and shafts were identical. So I went from a two gear to a four gear set-up. Oh by the way I'm running a XTM 247 in my savage. I don't have any part numbers but I'm pretty sure just about all 1/8 scale stock diffs are the same.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:25 PM
remten2001

Default savage prob!!!

Did you use the HPI stock diff casing?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
DFF

Default savage prob!!!

diff case problem comes most of the time because the bearing that hold the diff are shot and have plays.

Take bearings that hold the diff off and inspect them thorougsly, check if there is too much play.

Chance are real high they are shot if you've been running in sand and / or water. You need to seal the back plate with silicone...

And yes, the 4 spider mod will ,make them thougher.

Only my 0.02 Euro

DFF
Old 07-03-2003, 08:23 PM
remten2001

Default savage prob!!!

Thans for the info DFF I really appretiate it espcially from you cause i know you know a lot on the savage
Old 07-04-2003, 03:58 AM
neonspin

Default savage prob!!!

Yes I used the stock casing. It's alittle tight but it will work.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:00 PM
DFF

Default savage prob!!!

Wisen, was just talking 'bout experience since it tooks me 2 badly trashed out plastic diff case to figure out the bearings were shoot LoL

DFF
Old 07-04-2003, 09:57 PM
remten2001

Default savage prob!!!

i will check it out when part comes in and it times to tear it apart....I don't wanna take it part now since i will have to wait another 2 weeks before i get alll the parts needed to do thihs 4 spider diff mod.....If i take it aprt now i might not remember how to put it back together in 2 weeks so i will wait.....

But this savage is almost new it has only 2.5 gallons of fuel thru it and the bearings wouldb be already shot?

maybe if so i will get some team blue star bearing kit for the savage....