Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How Do You Like Your Big Joes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 03:39 AM
Justintoxicated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Like Your Big Joes?

Well I have a savage and im wondering how you all like your big joes tires. My LHS has some on sale right now $19.99 for 2, Im thinking about putting them on on some outback welds, using the aluminum hex adapter.

Right now I have the stock rims and I repaired them with a washer (fell off over the nut). So im wondering if I should just pickup some hotbodies rims or what.

Are the joes good?
http://store.savage-central.com/prod...roducts_id=124

Wheel adapters...
http://store.savage-central.com/prod...products_id=28

Are the dirt hawgs better?
http://store.savage-central.com/prod...08acf088004cae

Right now I have the stock 21BB and a HiTec 645MH servo to run whatever rims and tire combo I get, if the joes are good this is a great price
Old 07-07-2003, 11:49 AM
oosel
My Feedback: (4)

well i like my big joe's it climbs hills a lot better, but i can not do wheelies anymore. im still going to replace my striped out stock rims and run my stock tires most of the time. I might just use these tires in snow and sand.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Easy rider

I have the hotbodies RTR wheels and tires ( 40 series ) with mayhem tires and I like them allot. www.meganitro.com Not for running them all the time but for use on the street only. They give a higher top speed and they look "killer" also give a bigger ground clearance.

I normally run my stock tires on my aluminum rims by www.nova.com
Old 07-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Justintoxicated

I plan on using paddle tires for sand, so maybe I shoudlen't get the joes?

$10 each is a good deal right?
Old 07-07-2003, 04:55 PM
cemeb4dk

I'm not a fan of them, If you get them you will have to re gear your truck, to much for the stock set up to run.. I wasn't aware of this when i bought mine and that was the culprit to my blown engine, it gor to hot running the joes.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:32 PM
powerhungry

Default Gearing down

I have them on my EMAXX.. and i didn't need to gear down or anything.. still wheelies, but overall better performance. The motor didn't get any hotter... this is electric, so i don't know how it is on Nitro motors.

But I personally like em.. better grip and climbing.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:24 PM
kimolop

I've had mine for a few months and I like 'em alot. There's quite a bit of gravelly sand where I live, so being wider they tend to stay on top of the stuff rather than dig in. I still have the stock engine and steering servo in it and they do fine. I just bash around with mine , so I keep my engine more than a little bit toward the rich side. I've heard from people that run on grass alot that the added resistance of the wider tires makes their trucks run hotter. Heck, for twenty bucks how can you not try 'em?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by kimolop
I've had mine for a few months and I like 'em alot. There's quite a bit of gravelly sand where I live, so being wider they tend to stay on top of the stuff rather than dig in. I still have the stock engine and steering servo in it and they do fine. I just bash around with mine , so I keep my engine more than a little bit toward the rich side. I've heard from people that run on grass alot that the added resistance of the wider tires makes their trucks run hotter. Heck, for twenty bucks how can you not try 'em?
$20 a pair but that does not include wheel adapters $32 and new rims $40 for for so im looking more like $150
Old 07-08-2003, 12:01 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by Justintoxicated
$20 a pair but that does not include wheel adapters $32 and new rims $40 for for so im looking more like $150
That's right, not only do you have to buy the tires, but also the 40 series wheels to go with it. I am running the Big Joe 40's right now on the MAXX, and they are doing really well! I have run them on our red clay track a few times, in the thick grass, asphalt, and around the yard. They grip very well, take offs are a sure thing. The 40's make the stance very wide. I know you have a Savage....so I cannot say anything, but like I said, mine are on the MAXX, and it makes the stance impressive. You will definately gain some turning balance with the entended width of the vehicle by adding the tires, so turning is great. However, remember that you're now turning a larger rotational mass, therefore you will lose some bottom end, but you will also gain more top end speed because of the larger diameter. You may want to play with the gearing when you put them on, to best suit your needs. My MAXX's stock gearing pulls the Joe's just fine, but I also have a beefed up drivetrain and tranny....best of luck in your decision.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM
cemeb4dk

what wheel adapters do you need? I have a savage and I just bought the velocity rims and the big joes, no adapters where needed, keep an eye on ebay you usually can get 4 rims and tires for like 90.00
Old 07-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Savage_Dias

I run Hot Bodies UFO wheels with Psycho Tire & I use HPI's adapters. I've only had them for a week but I LOVE THEM. That setup runs $101.97 plus shipping. I'm running the stock steering servo & it will probably be replaced when I place my next order. I have lost some of my bottom end but I do have some added top speed.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by RCFreakInFL
That's right, not only do you have to buy the tires, but also the 40 series wheels to go with it. I am running the Big Joe 40's right now on the MAXX, and they are doing really well! I have run them on our red clay track a few times, in the thick grass, asphalt, and around the yard. They grip very well, take offs are a sure thing. The 40's make the stance very wide. I know you have a Savage....so I cannot say anything, but like I said, mine are on the MAXX, and it makes the stance impressive. You will definately gain some turning balance with the entended width of the vehicle by adding the tires, so turning is great. However, remember that you're now turning a larger rotational mass, therefore you will lose some bottom end, but you will also gain more top end speed because of the larger diameter. You may want to play with the gearing when you put them on, to best suit your needs. My MAXX's stock gearing pulls the Joe's just fine, but I also have a beefed up drivetrain and tranny....best of luck in your decision.
adapters to use the outback welds, supposedly this is the best setup to go to if you have alot of power, its impossible to strip the hex since it eliminates it...
Old 07-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Justintoxicated

anyone else? A couple people say they are great a few others make me think i sahould just pickup some RPM rims for $30 for 4 and mvoe my stock tires to those...Much cheaper this way..

I just stripped out another stock rim last night so I have to go buy something today ...
Old 07-08-2003, 07:01 PM
cemeb4dk

I love the rpm offset rims on my savage, No signs of stripping, and if they do RPm has a gaurantee for life, how can you go wrong
Old 07-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by cemeb4dk
I love the rpm offset rims on my savage, No signs of stripping, and if they do RPm has a gaurantee for life, how can you go wrong
I got one set of Stable maxes but that was all they had! I dunno if I will be able to find a second set anytime soon either