Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

T Maxx Tranny Trouble!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 10:27 PM
elway358

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T Maxx Tranny Trouble!

I knew this was probably gonna happen but here is a perfect example of how much power a T Maxx "cant"handle. I have a 24.7 on my converted Maxx and this is what the tranny now looks like. I'm going to go ahead and replace the gears with some type of metal. I know Robinson has the steel/aluminum primary gear set and the steel top shaft assembly(it didnt strip , but going to replace anyway). But does anyone know where I might could get steel output gear assemblies?Its the one that got stripped the worst. I can get the stock ones no problem but dont know where to get the steel ones. Also the two big gears on top of the stripped primary are good, but I would like to replace those as well with metal. I see the part number on these in the manual as 4984 & 4985, but it does not have the name of them in the list of parts. Does someone know what these are called and where I could get metal ones of those as well? Thanks for the help.
What were thinking with these plastic gears????????
Old 07-26-2003, 10:42 PM
gtxracer7

I think you may be forgetting something....you know those bullet-proof vests that the Police wear that keeps them alive? They are made of plastic; Kevlar if I am not mistaken. Metal is not the way to go with the tranny gears. Get the SuperMaxx 8mm conversion. It is the best. I have had it and had ZERO problems with it. It can withstand the power of RB C5's if you get the Metal 2 speed gears you are talking about. Metal to plastic gear mesh is OK, but metal to metal to metal and so on is not good and it will wear.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:43 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Like someone said.. that truck is meant to break so you can come back and buy more parts lol.

Look into something with hardened steel. That should do the trick. IT'd be cool if they had some kind of teflon coated self lubricating package! lol

Btw.. how long did those gears last? Will it be cheaper just to use n throw?

Ram
Old 07-26-2003, 10:50 PM
elway358

Once I stuck the 24.7 on, they only lasted about 6 tanks. As far as the UE conversion, I dont want that because I want to keep my reverse at all costs! Unlike a lot of people I love the fact that I've got reverse. So does anyone know where I can get the metal output gears and what the name is of the other ones and where to get those??
Old 07-27-2003, 12:39 AM
gtxracer7

UTB is (I think) the company that makes the 2 speed gears. I also think they are available at Stormer.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Legendary

Default Golden Horizon

They make the Output gear your looking for! You can get it at Tower or on Ebay from time to time! I have the RRP steel top shaft and primary gears along with the Golden Horizon's Output gear and it works great and no signs of any ware after 3 1/2 gallons on my Force .25!
Old 07-27-2003, 01:22 AM
Dlock

An all metal tranny is not a bad thing. There is one in devlopement as we speak. The company that is going to make it is called OTB (Outside the Box) Technology. Right now they have a Input Shaft/Gear set. They also have an all metal 2 speed gear set. So in this case the gears that mesh will be metal to metal. They claim to have self lubricating, exotic metals that will stand the test of time.

They also have a completely metal tranny in the works. It's called the IFOC "Infinity Forward only Conversion". It will have adjustable gear ratios within the tranny itself.

OTB also has a replacement warranty for all their parts.

Here's a link to their site so you can check it out for yourselves. http://www.otbtech.com/pages/1/index.htm
Old 07-27-2003, 01:42 PM
elway358

Thanks a lot for the info guys that is some very nice looking stuff. Metal tranny here I come!!!! Hell, another $1000 on top of the $1000 I already got in this thing and it might actually grow up to be a real truck one day.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:16 PM
avoor1

I think if you shoot a t-maxx trans the bullet isn't gonna bounce off of it.