RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Savage VS Raptor In an UNBIASED comp (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/2244832-savage-vs-raptor-unbiased-comp.html)

Dale Gribble 10-12-2004 02:38 PM

RE: Savage VS Raptor In an UNBIASED comp

great insightful contribution there tnx.

cbodie 10-12-2004 09:30 PM

thanx lst man ... i tried to be as blunt as possible without pissin anyone off cuz you know how people get when you're talkin bout their toys... anyway they are both bad ass trucks and really fun to take to their limits. this nitro thing is addictive.
and hey dale as far as chassis strength i have had no problems with either truck.. so i guess ill have to bash a little harder.

lstman 10-13-2004 05:04 AM

its hard not pissin people off when doing a vs. but you pulled it off. thats what people need to do. put out the information,show some pics,a few stats, and let the people deside for themselfs. well done:D

devious1 10-13-2004 02:14 PM

Cbodie thats an awesome the way you said that... i didn't start this thread to piss people off by no means thats not what i wanted to do i wanted to see more of a side by side comparison cause i have drove them both but for a very short period of time i do like both trucks so don't get me wrong with the way it seemed.. and the fact that i am a lil new to the nitro seen don't help the situation but i am doing my best... thx very much for the explanation cbodie

cbodie 10-13-2004 05:51 PM

thanks guys...we really need to have more raptor discussion because this is an up and coming bad boy. I cant wait to see what prp comes out with as far as hop ups. oh and if anyone knows of any larger scale bodies mine is held together with zip strips. the lexan couldnt take the impact of landing this monstrosity but everything else seems to hold up to some hardcore driving.

HPVO 01-09-2005 02:56 AM

Got a Raptor for Christmas! This truck is built. I improved the under body chassis by adding two angled aluminum rails with polycarbonate 1/8" thick on the sides as well as the bottom. It really helps in keeping dirt out of the truck. The "Plexiglass" or polycarbonate is clear for now until it gets scratches. The 90deg. angled aluminum rails along with the polycarbonate fits flush along the bottom from the front bumper/skid-plate to the rear bumper/skid-plate this protects the tranny!

DarkSavageX 01-09-2005 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: cbodie

the revo is fun to drive as well[img][/img]

theres an orbe! where all going to die.ahahhaah :D

HPVO 01-10-2005 03:02 PM

DarkSavageX has been watching to much of animated Heavy Metal movie!

RC RAC3R 01-10-2005 05:19 PM

i would vote RAPTOR because of the longer wheelbase.. just my opinion...

tndiverdown 01-10-2005 05:22 PM

I would vote Savage to due parts availability and aftermarket support. The raptor is nothing but a rip-off of the savage design anyways.

devious1 01-10-2005 06:59 PM

so far my raptor has proven durable except for a loose spur gear that had to be fixed which i had previously though that it was the clutches or the tranny along with the fact that i hit a flag pole at about 30 and it just bounced off no broken bumpers or anything new clutches in this thing and it will pull hard all the way wheelies are definatly not a problem with it when installing new clutches the guys at my lhs where surprized with it on how it campared to the savage both owners run the savage and the raptor, they where surprized at how well the raptor performed.. that and there is more than a few things that are interchangable according to happytime.. its bigger than the spyder with the same size tires and the same as the lst so it is a big truck i will try and grab pictures when i get to my lhs compared to the spyder and the lst.. the raptor has more options for tuning the suspension then the spyder and im not sure on the lst i didnt have time to compare those 2 together all in all it is a sweet truck..

nothing against the people who own a savage i like the truck to but GET OFF THE HIGH HORSE savage didnt invent the t.v.p. design, nore are they going to perfect it either .. if thats the case most everybody copied everybody so get over it... period

I am definatly not brand orientated i like any truck or car that i find of interest..
next is the warhead:)

silverman1 01-10-2005 08:05 PM

I did a comparison on the TNX VS the REVO. I do own both trucks. The comparison was bashing only, with both being stock.

Both of them our great!!!!! I wanna lovem and sqeezem, and run the livin F@#$% out of both of them!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D For more info email me!!

tzque 01-11-2005 08:50 AM

I feel that this comparision is a testiment to how good a truck the savage is and all the other comparisons I read. the savage is a least three years old in its design . Anything that comes after it should be better . The Raptor is a company took an already existing design and improved it .. If a truck is coming out with a 26 or 27 motor it should be faster than a 25 . I have driven the LST and Revo and yes they are better . They should be . I thought about getting the Raptor but I already have a ladder design truck .
I agree the Raptor comparison was well done . I enjoy when adults act like adults in this forum .My LHS are not selling this truck at all . I would enjoy the opportunity to run with one . If any Raptor owners live by Dunellen let me know . Nothing beats a real live comparison . Ill have a Tmaxx Revo and LST waiting as well.

Savage_Dias 01-11-2005 06:02 PM

savage didnt invent the t.v.p. design, nore are they going to perfect it either ..
Who sold the TVP before HPI?

I'm biased toward well established companies & HPI since I've had nothing but thrills out of my Savage & I like knowing the truck & hop ups will be around for a while. IMO the company that made the Raptor went too far when they used most of the same ideas that were already part of the Savage. Trinity did the same thing with the Spyder. I'm not flaming. I'm just saying that something more original than "Let's make it a little bigger" would've earned a little respect from me. I'm also not saying HPI was totally original in their thinking but I honestly can't think of another company that has offered a TVP truck & I've been playing with R/Cs for close to 15 years.

I wonder how well the size comparison would go if someone bolted an extended chassis on the Savage & they both had the same size tires.....

mr-rccrazy 01-11-2005 08:51 PM

Come on people, Nobody EVER sold a chassis design like the savage, with vertical aluminum plates for a chassis. Do not forget, longer wheelbase means wider turns, and that is not really good.... Anyways, Raptor looks cool, but when you look further into parts availability it is scarce. With a savage, you could go to almost any hobby shop and find hpi parts, but I have NEVER seen any PRP parts at any hobby store. Also, with hopups, I like customizing. The savage has so many companies producing aftermarket parts that there is not even any comparison, as I have yet to see any sizeable production of aftermarket parts for the raptor. Parts, you would only be able to buy from PRP, you could never find any at a large hobby place like Towerhobbies.

And, my last comment:

WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE BIASED VS TOPICS????

IS IT JUST TO TRY AND PROVE THAT YOUR TRUCK IS BEST?????

Another thing

Come on, seriously, you cannot make much of a comparison if you have only driven a savage once (supposedly). I personally would choose a savage over the ripoff PRP raptor, as I have experience with the savage and know that it is an excellent truck. I have never even seen a power racing raptor, so I cannot make any performance claims, but all of my other findings are truthful and not personal oppinions.

EG1 01-11-2005 11:10 PM

I love tnx fo lYfe's comments LOL. He pretty much came out with pure facts and shut you guys down. ;)

How much do raptors go for?

tomoko69 01-12-2005 04:02 AM

I don't own either truck but the idea that the Sav was the first rc vehicle with TVP is pretty strange.

I'm sure someone with more experience than me could name a hundred others, but I had a Tamiya Frog in 1983 that had a similar concept, not exactly TVP but a ladder-frame chassis. Basically NOT a pan-type chassis a-la TMaxx or Truggies.

So the TVP thing, or the idea of having a non-pan chassis on an RC vehicle has been around for a long, long time.

Ybenjulkay2x 01-12-2005 12:23 PM

I have both raptor and savage, Only thing that I could say, compair the durability, and the raptor will fail big time, I said Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggg time. I don't have problem with my savage ( my daughter is usimg it as she trash it lot of time and only problem it give me was a missing screw shaft at the rear, the raptor are giving me lotsssssssssss of problem, the side chassis are weak and soft, easy to bent not like the savage, the hose at the tank is easily to get caught as i replaced this hose lot of time, the plastic is easily to break, but they solve this problem lately by beffing up the bumper bu the arm is weak. the diff. on both eand are falling apart after run not like the savage. and I even call prp for this problem asking them if this covered (the diff.) by warranty, they didn't respond on my e-mail, they just told me I need to replaced the diff. housing. I think they also need to support there costumer too as they also make lot of mistake building this, as i fix this problem my self by replacing this housing and use diff. kind of screw as they use a self tapping screw. Sometimes I feel throwing this truck to the wall.........the RAPTOR..............THERE SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
If you want to see more about this raptor, go to the raptor site or threads (PRP RAPTOR).

Salty0790 01-12-2005 02:07 PM

i got a savage for christmas. this is the first nitro truck i have ever owned. i havent been lucky enough to start it up (too cold) so i cant say anything about the performance. this past week, i have been looking over my truck to get the feel of how everything works. and if something breaks i would know how to fix it. to me (remember i am a complete newb and i dont know any better) the savage seems like a really solid truck. i seems really durable and tough. i bet the raptor is a great truck too. the reason i asked for the savage is because:

1. people on this forum mostly say good things about this truck.
2. it is supposed to be one of the most durable truck on the market.
3. its performance is excelent stock.
4. there is a TON of company support.
5. there is a TON of aftermarket support and performance parts
6. it is very popular.

these are the main reasons why i asked for this truck. ANY TRUCK YOU GET YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH. SO WHATS THE POINT IN ARGUING ABOUT IT?

Ybenjulkay2x 01-26-2005 01:02 PM

I don't argue about it, I'm just telling the truth what's the best of the two as I have both ....of the truck and one is failing on me, and this guy is asking whom is the best soooooooooo I tell him the report about it................. Look at the power racing raptor treads about this truck if you want to know what you don't have coz I HAVE THIS TRUCK, and it fail right away after a few run.

devious1 01-26-2005 01:41 PM

never had a problem i belive most is user error no offense benjulke faste yes durable yes powerfull yes wheelies yes rock crawling not really, racing i cant complain, suspension articulation decent but not good from my opinion easy to tune does it hold a tune as well i dont believe so. long runtime yes over a 20 min i believe upward of like a half hour or more. Its definatly durable expecially when you run in 10 maybe colder degree weather and snow and the only thing i broke was a corner piece on the bumper from a really bad landing on concrete yeh its pretty much going to break no matter what truck you have..

aftermarket support it doesnt really have unless you call happytime and find out whats compatable like i did on a few things

modifications to date not much but hey
Tiger Drive
Clutches ofna precuts
Clutchbell Savage
Wheels And Tires Jumbo Claw Dawgs
Airfilter dont remeber what kind (ebay)

Damaged
Loose spur gear could have prevented
bumper my fault as well 10> weather go figure
Pull start my my fault twice so i got a tiger drive
that i do think is weak.
Glow Plug died IT happenes

Vintage_Duff 01-26-2005 06:54 PM

i tell you the funny part of all this, there will be no after market support for the raptor and it will prob be discontinued

and the savvy will be around alot longer with the new savage4.6SS

Ybenjulkay2x 01-27-2005 03:16 AM

I beleive you on that. Right now the only problem I have is about the diff. I just replaced my bumper with a stronger one from prp. I just overhaul my diff. and also used a different screw, someone give me an advice to change the screw from self tapping to fine tread screw and I run the truck two tank already and still holding. I e-mail prp about this but when I mention about the word warranty if this cover it, they didn't response, I guest they didn't cover about this things, too bad for me, coz when I overhaul it, looks like I replaced the whole front and rear diff. except the out drive (MA2028) and bearing. The only thing that they cover are the bumper set as the first one are so brittle, amd my one way bearing on the tranny as it slip. Since I replaced those, no more problem except the diff.

Ybenjulkay2x 01-27-2005 03:18 AM

Also, just one question, have you change those screw in your diff. I adviced to replaced those before it's too late.