RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Savage VS Raptor In an UNBIASED comp (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/2244832-savage-vs-raptor-unbiased-comp.html)

devious1 10-11-2004 04:19 PM

Savage VS Raptor In an UNBIASED comp

Is it possable to get an unbiased opinion of which one is better on a new and new basis.. not whos been around the longest or has the most mods out just a truck vs truck out of the box running poll or comparison:D
I vote raptor

devious1 10-11-2004 04:20 PM

RE: Savage VS Raptor In an UNBIASED comp

Along with a reason on why it is better.

tylerE 10-11-2004 04:43 PM

Well why do you think the Raptor is better?

creyc 10-11-2004 05:17 PM

Now your vote for the raptor, that would be a bit biased as seeing you own one, am I right?

Since you professed the question, perhaps you can start everyone off with why you prefer the Raptor.

neil.jb 10-11-2004 05:22 PM

is there actually any point to this thread?

Frost_ 10-11-2004 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: neil.jb

is there actually any point to this thread?
Yeah, there aren't enough threads here w/people talking out of their a**es...

Without a side-by-side comparison any theories put forward amount to pure speculation.

/close

Too bad that^ tag isn't real...

-EDIT-

Another reason this is plain silly, the ONLY reason your Raptors stay stock is that there are NO hopups, other than an engine swap.
I had a few hundred extra into my Sav before it ever hit the ground.

devious1 10-11-2004 06:10 PM

well in my perspective i like the fact that it is a bit bigger along with performance for bottom and top end. threaded shocks, and a huge 250cc gas tank thats just to name a few.. that and i think in my opinion it just looks better with the tread design and the black body..
my ps opinion...

Dale Gribble 10-11-2004 06:10 PM

Ya, that's a baited thread right there.

Here is the difference. Start a thread, or join a thread about the Raptor. Explain why you like the Raptor. Say what you like and what you don't like. Don't start a vs. thread.

EVEN a thread on 'DIFFERENCES OF SAVAGE AND RAPTOR' allowing members to discuss differences without claiming which is better is a better choice of words.

When you say truck x vs. truck y, and you OWN one of them, of COURSE you are biased, and you just want a pissing contest to ensue. In order to be unbiased, you must only report based on fact. Guys, don't jump in. This guy is looking for another complete opinion war. Nobody needs another one of these threads.

Raptor is awesome, Savage is awesome.

I HATE VS. THREADS!!! I am seriously growing so tired of them. Most of the time it's apples and oranges.

ThermalRD 10-11-2004 06:10 PM

LMAO. Thats good. NO biased opinions, but the raptor is better. Because he owns one! lol. Thats beautiful...

devious1 10-11-2004 06:13 PM

i have actually drove a savage at my lhs so i had time to gather my opinions.

ThermalRD 10-11-2004 06:18 PM

If you wanna promote that truck, do something useful. Take detailed pics of all the areas you like on it. Show us that the radio box is larger, and more accessible than its competitior. Show pics of diffs, inside, and out. Sealed? 4 spiders? Spiral cut, or helical cut? How are the drive shafts holding up? Steering radius good? What about power, tunability, and reliability? Have you broken anything? How many gallons on it?

Acs_guitars 10-11-2004 06:56 PM

The only way you'll get an unbiased opinion is if someone has seen all aspects of both trucks:eek:.... ie: Owning both for a few weeks and trying all of the same things with both, or atleast working a LHS that sells both where you would know of others experiences and what kind of problems have been had with both. I am definitely not qualified to be unbiased, but I can say, I Like my Savage!!:D

cbodie 10-11-2004 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
o.k. guys here it goes...i have both trucks sitting right here, have beaten the **** out of both of them and in my honest opinion i would prefer the raptor "as far as stock" .. the savage handles a little better cuz of the suspension and the brakes kick ass.. but as far as balls out horsepower the raptor gets my vote hands down, the raptor out of turns is a little tricky bcuz of its raw power but i think i got it down.
jumping... once again i choose the raptor bcuz of acceleration and it seems like its easier to control when in flight.
top speed.... raptor
off the line.....raptor
run time...... raptor
hill climbing.... raptor
tuning....savage is easier to tune and holds it a little better
starting....savage is easier to start
as far as working on them i prefer the raptor bcuz everything is so easy to get to, i like the way its set up!
all in all the raptor is the one out of the box.but if you want to get wicked with upgrades the savage is definitely my vote.
stock servos in both trucks suck they were upgraded long ago..
well theres my opinion take it how youd like. and if your looking to purchase.. make a decision and go with it, any truck you buy you'll have fun with it.
happy hunting
[img][/img]

Acs_guitars 10-11-2004 09:14 PM

You have a pic of your Savage??

cbodie 10-11-2004 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here they are side by side.. which one would you prefer[img][/img]

cbodie 10-11-2004 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the revo is fun to drive as well[img][/img]

Acs_guitars 10-11-2004 09:40 PM

Well, a Savage is the same size as the Raptor with the extended TVP and 40 series tires, and it would be just as powerful with a Mach or SH engine.... Just because I have heard of initial durability probs with the first generator Raptor, I'll stick with my time tested Savage.... Plus, the Savage 3-speed is coming out next month:D:D Just My 2 cents.

cbodie 10-11-2004 09:51 PM

who makes the 3 speed i gotta have one...

creyc 10-11-2004 09:54 PM

Who makes the 3 speed?
HPI does. Check it out, it's on their main page: http://hpiracing.com/index2.htm

Acs_guitars 10-11-2004 10:01 PM

I know this is OT in this thread, but it is supposed to have a lower first gear for torque w/ faster acceleration and a higher 3rd gear for higher top speed.... I just can wait!!!:D Anyway... I am sure the Raptor is a great Truck, but like I said earlier-- I like my Savage! If I got another MT, I'd have to go with one that is completely different than my Savage as far as basic design goes. IE: LST, TNX, or even the REVO.

cbodie 10-11-2004 10:10 PM

that 3 speed looks sweet i'll be having one of those
did you see that vid.. why does it gurgle like that? like its running too rich or something, mine does that sometimes

Dale Gribble 10-12-2004 12:20 AM

cbodie, OUTSTANDING side by side comparision.

I didn't know the Raptor was larger then the Savage.

+ RAPTOR No Purple!!! :D

So, how does Power Racing address the vulnerable chassis strength between the motor/trans plate and the front diff? Since it has a longer wheelbase it seems that would be an issue since folks have bent their chassis there on the Savage.

That is what I am talking about!

Frost_ 10-12-2004 09:20 AM

I can't speak of the trucks, but I ran that PRP/Team Infinity 27 in my Savage for about 3 gallons. It is the same engine as the Fantom 27 with a diff head and carb; a Toki engine.

It would make a nice stock engine. The engine does have a good bit more grunt than the S25 on the bottom, in the middle, and at the top. The Raptor is heavier than the Savage, so it needs it too.

This isn't from a comparison nor is it an opinion... My GF bought me a ST15 for Christmas one year (I was into electrics from 12-15 yrs. old and now that I have some coin I had mentioned to her nitro) at the reccomendation of the Tower sales rep. (go figure) and if you LIKE things to stay stock (replacing parts with parts that will be the same [:'(] ) then both it and the Raptor are great. Who here HONESTLY wants to run a vehicle that you HAVE to keep stock?? For me, this is the single biggest detraction, and enough to be a deal-breaker unfortunately. My MTs are JUST for bashing and if parts weren't an issue there would probably be a Raptor at my house now.

OF course, if the Raptor's driveline handles the stock 27 fine it should be no problem to migrate to a larger mill....

Lastly (and this is PURE opinion) the bottom of the Raptors TVPs are STRAIGHT, no curve up in the center, it just looks a bit boxy. I don't particularly like the bodies (stock) on either truck, but the Raptor-sized bodies are alot tougher to come by...

-EDIT-

Oh yeah, I hate the purple too DaleG...

lstman 10-12-2004 10:18 AM

cbodie.. that is the best side by side comparison ive seen on here yet. and usually i hate to see them. pics,details. awesome. thank you. :D

Tnx_4_life 10-12-2004 12:49 PM

i vote TNX...ow srry raptor or savage..uhmmm, uhmm i reckon none. i dont really think theres an essential point to this then only telling evry1 what pros and cons are...which were talk over in other threads.

Tim