RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Anyone Own a Revo 3.3? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/3985544-anyone-own-revo-3-3-a.html)

budweiser45331 10-21-2006 03:35 PM

RE: Anyone Own a Revo 3.3?

i dont know what to do. the 3.3 is giving me fits. when it get to 200 it dies and wont restart till it gets below 120. anybody have an idea ?

obie2102 10-21-2006 06:17 PM

Well first off just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for all the great info. Got my REVO 3.3 earlier this week and finally got to break it in today. Tried yesterday but it was just too cold (high 40's). This isn't my first R/C car, but my first in about 6 years. Used to have an old Kyosho sandmaster 10, then a Nitro Ruster as well. Sold those awhile ago and just now got back into it. Already ordered and recieved a trinity tuned pipe, and some shock ends, different springs, and some shock rebuild kits. Once i started getting further into the break in process i could really tell how fast this thing was gonna be. After the break in, drove it around in my yard and a few of the neighbors, and BAM! Hit a dang light pole in my neighbors yard. Bent and broke the right front push rod. Oh well, just gotta get another one and get to driving this thing again. Anyone like lunsford make any stronger than stock push rods? It will be more of a basher than a racer so i don't know if the traxxas tubes will hold up as well as i'd like.\

SPPaintball 10-21-2006 06:58 PM

I'm probably the newest member of the Revo 3.3 family. Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Monday.

I'm a little worried about break in, though because temps are dropping fast and the high for Monday is 51 degrees Fahrenheit and the low is 33 degrees.

[sm=frown.gif]

obie2102 10-21-2006 07:14 PM

Use a hairdryer to get the engine up to temp and it will help a lot on startup. Also make sure you're ezstart battery is fully charged for easier startup. Congrats on your new purchase.

SIM2U 10-22-2006 05:07 AM

You cant take a hair dryer with you though unless your at home (edit: or unless you have some kind of car adaptor...?)...and unless you have a big back yard to do the break in proceedure I would not even worry about a haidryer.

What you can do though that is portable: Those cold packs that you can buy for injuries, get one of those as they work as hot packs too. What you do is you wrop up one of those in a towl and then put it somewhere inside your engine bay that is secured and then simply drive to where you are going to do the beak in proceedure. By the time you get there the pack should be hot enough to use against the RC engine to get it started and up to temp. So you put the hot pack directly over the engine area with the towl allowing a small gap at the top so that you can put you glow starter in adn bang, thats it. This has worked great for as a portable sollution to a hairdryer as I cant take a portable power generator with me so I can plug a hairdryer in and use it. If I was at the races...no probs, but then again, I would have well adn truely worn and broken my engine before any race though.

Hope this helped...[8D]:D

ORIGINAL: obie2102

Use a hairdryer to get the engine up to temp and it will help a lot on startup. Also make sure you're ezstart battery is fully charged for easier startup. Congrats on your new purchase.

SIM2U 10-22-2006 07:57 AM

I guess the only other sollution I could think of would be to use a car adaptor for the hair dryer...?

savvyjj 10-22-2006 09:45 AM

yo sppaintball do you play paintball...... i do i have that angle its the silver one i got it from my sponcer lol jkjk i wish i have the spider pro i play every once in a while but i have been having trouble getting paint for cheap because well i have to buy gas for my truck:eek: and for the heating problem i would say to put aluminum foil around the engine head to keep the heat in:D

SIM2U 10-22-2006 11:54 AM

Yes, thats a great one but only after the engine is running.
;)

89ram 10-22-2006 10:02 PM

can't you keep the motor warm enough if it's stored in your warm house, then transported in your warm car, to be started very shortly after removing it from your warm car?:D

89ram 10-22-2006 10:03 PM

what about one of those 12volt car heaters?

dISCOdAN 10-22-2006 10:22 PM

I have always considered pre-heating the engine above room temp only to make the fresh engine start easier initially... which I can usually get around by cracking the glow plug loose.
If its cold outside ... I sit the truck on the floor in my pickup with the floor heat cranked for a few minutes.

SPPaintball 10-22-2006 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll probably be doing most of the break in on the road in front of my house so I'll probably just use a hair dryer if necessary. :)

I shouldn't have any problems with the fuel gelling up, should I? [sm=50_50.gif]

SIM2U 10-22-2006 11:19 PM

Actually thats a better idea...those 12v car heaters would be ideal.

Ive only ever done the hot pack with a new engine for run-in and that about it really...so its not that often. Winter, well...winter there is no reason as there is so much snow here that its just better to go snowboarding instead...less hassle.

Interms of the fuel gelling up...it would have to be extremely cold...REALLY cold. I have run my other RC in winter here in J-Land and several times in Beijing with no probs. Should be ok.

Bill Plude 10-23-2006 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All of my trucks, including the 2 REVOs I have in my trunk, will be inside with their tanks empty and have their after run oil in them next weekend. YES, even the X1CRT! I've been bitten pretty hard by the new hobby and the Digital hasn't even come out yet. All the guys in the other forums are warning how advanced and how much more fun it is than what I have now. AND the systems they have are supposed to be way less advanced compared to the one that will be getting released for my brand next month! Here's where I am as of Sunday.....The pics are 2 of my newest
http://www.75th-meu.com/SlotCars.htm

SIM2U 10-23-2006 07:24 AM

Bill...are there some of those cars that you have bought, which are faster than others say because of the difference in engine size...?

Bill Plude 10-23-2006 07:33 AM

Yes but it I plan on running them in different "Classes" or in a lot of cases the motors will be upgraded ($20 LOL) and of course you can't run F1 against NASCAR types either.

savvyjj 10-23-2006 07:07 PM

hey i used to race slot cars then i thought that wow thease things are so small and so expencive so why not step up a level to rc so i bought a monster and dont have to drive in circles all day for fun:D

Bill Plude 10-23-2006 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have to drive in circles

http://www.75th-meu.com/MGSsTrucks.htm

SPPaintball 10-24-2006 01:36 AM

Hey everyone. I got my Revo 3.3 earlier today. I spent today setting it up, charging batteries, etc. I love this truck. My servos were fighting each other a tiny bit at first, but with a minor adjustment they seem to be fine. I'm thinking a single servo will be my first upgrade. I didn't get around to driving it today, but I'm planning on driving down to an empty parking lot to break the engine in tomorrow (Actually, today. It's 2:30am :().

Anyway, one more (hopefully last) question. I really want to take care of this truck as much as possible, so I've been trying to make sure I do everything right. I heard from somewhere that it was better on the engine if you run after run after run oil through it before you ever introduce glow fuel to the engine. Fact or fiction? :)

Thanks again :)

I'm curious of how long it will take me to start bashing this truck. It's like a new pair of shoes I don't want to get dirty. :D

SIM2U 10-24-2006 09:06 AM

Well if you want to be VERY cautious, you could spray wd40 only in the through the carbie port leading into the engine - WITH THE CARBIE TAKEN OFF OF COURSE; and make sure there is not filings inside from milling. Then you could unscrew the bolts on the engine mounts and make sure that they are properly lock tighted, then make sure the engine is sealing properly after all of that. The run after run oil in after, to lube it up and neutralize the wd40 and then run it in....?

Some do this religiously...! Me, I just make sure that teh engine is sealing, re-locktight all the bolts - MAKE SURE THE WIRES ARE AWAY FROM THE FLY WHEEL OR CLUTCH BELL; and then start the heat cycling break in. Although my break in proceedure is similar to the traxxas version but longer. And i dont start stop in a line, I do mine in a very large figure 8 pattern as well as doing more than 8 tanks for run-in.

budweiser45331 10-25-2006 07:37 PM

i have a revo 3.3 and a lst2, if i let eather one of my truck set to more than 2 days without the wd 40 in them. they are a pain in the butt to get the 1 way bearing to grab and get them to start. i do it every time i put them up. and no problems now

budweiser45331 11-03-2006 11:27 PM

guys

whats the factory settings, im having hell with this engine. but its alot colder now.

holinger91 11-04-2006 12:11 AM

bill....can i ask where u get the money for all those rc? lol i wish i had so many rc's that when one broke or something i could just grab another :P

Bill Plude 11-04-2006 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a volunteer job and the U.S. Government pays me well for my wartime nightmares and my wife's and my responsiblities grew up, got jobs and live on their own now. Pics are of my new hobby that I've built up in the last 4 weeks.

ford f150 11-04-2006 01:29 AM

if your talking about the traxxas 2.5. you should just throw it away and then get the 3.3 much better engine