RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Anyone Own a Revo 3.3? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/3985544-anyone-own-revo-3-3-a.html)

Bill Plude 06-28-2006 07:36 PM

RE: Anyone Own a Revo 3.3?

Like he said Yes but you won't be able to use reverse. the 2 in DX2 means it's only a 2 channel radio. I think you'll have to take out the opti drive too. In fact you may as well consider going to the center differential(with the forward only included) or just get the forward only kit.
Nice air ash.
Lots o' pics on my website

http://www.75th-meu.com/MGSsTrucks.htm

*Nitstklr72* 06-28-2006 07:51 PM

i was planing on getting that if i got the truck anyway the reason i asked is because im going to get that radio for my mini t

Bill Plude 06-28-2006 07:56 PM

Get the DX3 then. It comes with 2 receivers and it's 3 channel so you can use it with both trucks. I got the DX2 but I only needed the one receiver because I'm only using it with my Hellfire.

ashburg 06-28-2006 08:30 PM

WOW...you've been busy on that site...very cool Mr. Bill

ORIGINAL: Bill Plude

Like he said Yes but you won't be able to use reverse. the 2 in DX2 means it's only a 2 channel radio. I think you'll have to take out the opti drive too. In fact you may as well consider going to the center differential(with the forward only included) or just get the forward only kit.
Nice air ash.
Lots o' pics on my website

http://www.75th-meu.com/MGSsTrucks.htm

Bill Plude 06-28-2006 08:34 PM

Thanks ash

89ram 06-28-2006 11:38 PM

spacoli, my GH shock ends are doing fine. still need to install the tin shafts i got though. havent had time to run it lately, too busy.[:o]

89ram 06-28-2006 11:48 PM

you can buy a schumacher havoc on ebay for $511. looks like a pretty cool truck, but that seems high for only 2wheel drive. maybe i'm just a tight*****. [sm=lol.gif]

flatout-> 06-29-2006 04:04 AM

89ram,

The Havoc is a full on riot to drive compared to the other trucks I have owned, and it's a pleasure to work on. I bought mine brand new off ebay for £200 rtr.

I'm still toying with the idea of buying a revo 3.3 though, I'm just waiting to see if Traxxas has rectified it's problems that the 2.5 had with the release of the 3.3

canucksrc 06-29-2006 05:28 AM

Hey Bill,
sounds like you had a great day. How do you like the new pipe???

Ash nice air on that Savage. Now let's see the buggy hit the ramp;)

P

Bill Plude 06-29-2006 05:38 AM

I can definitely feel the power increase with the new pipe. It was a great time. Had the common questions too. How fast does it go. Did you get it at Walmart, Radio Shack? YEP! LOL.............

spacoli 06-29-2006 07:31 AM

Nice Ash, heading fishing after running?[sm=lol.gif]

I have not run in two weeks, I had a exhaust repair to do, my son beat the crap out of my 3.3 when I had my back turned. We will run this weekend.

89, thanks for the update on the ends, keep me posted on any problems.

89ram 06-29-2006 12:55 PM

okay spurface, i've only had a warhead, an ntc3+, and a 3.3 revo.so what others have you driven?i'm curious for some comparisons. anybody else have a havoc? hey, wait a minute! this a revo forum!

Bill Plude 06-29-2006 12:58 PM

LOL. Revo, Revo. I don't care for the "stick" type radio, and I really have no use for a "stunt truck". I'm not into unnecessary jumping.

Lockezilla 06-29-2006 02:51 PM

so bill what do you think...a good trade..... my )I never run anymore) warhead for two tmaxxes one is compleate the other needs a tx and rcv one has a .25 and the other .18

flatout-> 06-29-2006 02:56 PM

"okay spurface, i've only had a warhead, an ntc3+, and a 3.3 revo.so what others have you driven?i'm curious for some comparisons. anybody else have a havoc? hey, wait a minute! this a revo forum!"

I have owned an OS 18 powered (mk1) Revo which was good and pretty rapid, but despite extensive suspension tuning (P2's, stiffer springs, heavier shock oil etc) it would still roll over at moderate speed which irritated me. It also had major gearbox problems which could have been down to a dodgy optidrive, and I thought it was a pain to work on. It was however a wicked jumper, which was down to the huge travel allowed by the inboard suspension. All in all the Revo is a fun truck, but IMO I felt it was lacking something to get my juices flowing. I have also had an LST which was a beast, it was big and handled like a touring car because of it's gigantic shocks. The mach .26 engine in the LST hits hard and will wheelie the truck on command and is capable of hauling it up to 45mph no problem. The LST jumps extremely well, levels out nicely in the air and takes the landings like a champ. It will also climb ANYTHING. The downside to this truck is that it's bloody expensive to maintain, it also had driveline issues (CVD's). But to be honest I prefered driving it over the Revo because of it's superior handling, but I'm sure the 3.3 handles a ton better because of the longer wheelbase and wider track. I have also had a lot of time behind the wheel of friends savages (21's, 25's and a .28 powered). These things are tough, and they are fun to drive, however you find yourself having to ease off the throttle in the bends because of the HCOG. Also the savage is heavy, which means it's not the most graceful truck in the air. Now, the Havoc, this truck DOES get the old adrenalin going, it's extrordaniraly quick for a 1/8th MT and I'm sure it's capable of the 50mph stated on the box. It is the quickest truck I have had yet. For the first time ever, my hands were shaking when I first drove this truck...LOL. The thunder tiger .28 pro will launch it out of the hole like a raped ape, and it will wheelie on it's back if the rear wheels can get the traction. The springs on this truck are very thick and the truck takes a lot to bottom out on the jumps. It's very light and handles exceptionally well for a 2WD with minimal body roll. It's very easy to control in the air and flys very straight. The sheer power the TT engine provides means drifting and rooster tails are no problemo. It's also a fairly simple design and very easy to work on. Maybe it's because 4WD's can be predictable whereas the 2WD's can be a real handful is what makes this truck more fun for me to drive. The Havoc definately lives up to it's name.

BTW, sorry for hijacking the thread guys

[&:]

Bill Plude 06-29-2006 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kiss the Warhead goodbye lock. There's so much you can do with the TMAXXes..Is that a .25 or 2.5?
A .25 = 4.0
A 2.5 = .15
Either way it's good. Is it an OS.18? and it's probably the stock 2.5 which is OK. If it's beat, you can trade it in for a new 3.3 for $130 and everything goes right onto it and it drops right it. Are they less than 3-4 years old, do they have the wider a-arms? Do they look like these, not the broken bulkheads! That's what they look like when you put an EMAXX under the wheel of a parked Buick at Wide open Throttle! The Wife's Last Ride!

m_edi_k_tion 06-29-2006 07:22 PM

iam so happy i finally got my revo 3.3 today :D :D :D

living in the Caribbean has its disadvantages

89ram 06-29-2006 10:16 PM

so bill, how's your ebay pipe bid coming along? i looked there, never saw your bid, but bid on a fantom pipe myself. that guy must've bought a crate of em'!

Bill Plude 06-29-2006 10:54 PM

that guy must have stolen them out the back door of Fantom's shop because they aren't availlable anywhere! Stormer Hobbies, the place Fantom mentions on their site doesn't have them, my RC guy called...............

esheg4ever23 06-30-2006 04:16 AM

hey wutsup everyone. im new to this thread but ive looked through some pages aand wow u guys have som sick cars. i like bills revo (all "RPM"-ed out) lol. well anyways got my revo 3 weeks ago, i bougt it off some guy that works in a hobby store in north carolina, its a 2.5 chassis with a 3.3 in there. i got a wing and resonator pipe and some new shocks are on their way soon probably tomorow theyll arrive (orange in front, gold in back 50 WT oil). well anyways here comes my real question. i broke it in properly (heat cycle) and it runs perfectly. the only thing is that i stripped my spur gear, and that was because my mesh was really bad, so i replaced the spur gear, fixed the mesh, and when i was at the track last thrusday i was driving it, and then after i went off a jump the engine was revving but the car wouldnt move. i thought i stripped the spur gear, but wen i looked at it closely i saw it wasnt stripped, nor was my mesh too loose. so i was like ok ill take it to the hobby shop. before i took it there i wanted to show my neighbor (hes good in this stuff too) and wen i started it i gave the engine throttle and the car 'somehow' went. then after about 20 minutes of driving it did the same thing, spur gears not stripped, engine's mesh is perfect, but the car wouldnt move. wats going on??? i posted this on some other website but the only response i got was "buy slipper pegs". please help!! thanks

flatout-> 06-30-2006 04:56 AM

Hey Esh

I ran a 2.5 revo for about a year or so, had wicked fun with it, but yeah, I had driveline issues too similar to what you are describing. Are using an FOC or is your truck still fitted with optidrive/reverse gear?

esheg4ever23 06-30-2006 05:00 AM

no i still have the optidrive/reverse, but planning on getting an FOC. but does this mean that if i get an FOC my optidrive ahs to come out? and what was your solutin to your driveline issue. thanks

flatout-> 06-30-2006 05:12 AM

First I would check that the micro servo is engaging forward/reverse properly and that it's ensuring a good mesh when you flick it from forward to reverse on your transmitter. I would also try resetting your optidrive. Try rolling the truck along the floor without the engine running to check that everything feels smooth in the transmission. If something feels or sounds weird then chances are you could have stripped a few teeth on the reverse idler in the gearbox or some other gear. This was the problem I had and I think it was down to opitdrive failure, it somehow allowed me to switch from forward to reverse whilst still moving (the whole point of the optidrive is to prevent you from doing so). I ended up rebuilding my gearbox twice because of this. I think if I had installed FOC from the start, everything would have been ok.

esheg4ever23 06-30-2006 05:19 AM

well i just finished restting my optidrive, and the micro servos working good, but i noticed that when i roll the car forwards its all smooth, then backwards it goes for about half a foot then it locks up, even with the receiver off. i think im just going to take apart my gearbox because there could be a stripped gear. and i wat to buy a FOC on Tower only 10 bucks. LMK what you think. thanks again

esheg4ever23 06-30-2006 05:22 AM

oh yea i almost forgot, one thing about my optidrive, when im driving, and i shift to reverse on my remote, the car still stays shifted into forward, i have to let the car sit there for about half a minute and wait for it to shift into reverse. is this normal? i dont know because my friend was messing with my optidrive's set button on the day of break-in, so i cant really blame him, cuz i never got the oppurtunity to drive it before that. but when the engine is off, even right now (especially since i reset my optidrive, when i shift to reverse it does it in a split second. why is this?