RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Rusty diff!? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/4308426-rusty-diff.html)

snowbl!nd 05-23-2006 09:06 AM

Rusty diff!?

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever experienced this? Somehow water got into the diff case, and i only discovered it today when i noticed the diff wasn't rotating smoothly. I've not checked the front diff yet... [:o]

The diff was in PERFECT condition before i took the truck to the track on Sunday - the track was wet, but it wasn't like i was driving through a river! Didn't spend more than 10 minutes driving the thing! The bearings feel like sandpaper but the teeth look ok.

Is there anything i can use which will get rid of the rust? I don't really want to buy a whole new diff... :(

Wide Open 05-23-2006 11:24 AM

RE: Rusty diff!?

i dont know how to get rust out, but isnt there a way you can seal the diffs better? i would think some silicon on the outside of the case would help keep stuff out, and the seal can be broken when you need to service the diffs.

snowbl!nd 05-23-2006 11:33 AM

Yeah, but i think the water got in where the diff outdrives go through the case, not the split between the two case halves. I suppose i could try silicone around the bearings where they sit in the case...

Speaking of sealing up cases, i sealed up the tranny halves using silicone sealant yesterday...

Good idea though [sm=thumbup.gif]

Wide Open 05-23-2006 11:36 AM

actually, if you could get the silicon inside the bearings, it will seal it alot better. looks like youve got a better idea than me!:)

snowbl!nd 05-23-2006 11:45 AM

Inside the bearings? I don't think that would work - the stuff i'm using turns rubbery, so it't be water tight, but the bearings wouldn't move lol.

I've just decided NEVER to use the thing in the wet again. Ever. It's just too much hastle. [:@]

Timmahh 05-23-2006 11:52 AM

use a 0000 steel wool to dust off the rusty areas.... then blow clean with an air compressor, spray liberally with WD40. rub the whole gearset as to polish with the wd useing your thumb/finger.... dry off with cloth and blow dry.. by rubbing the wd40 around, you help it seep into the pores of the metal... Old trick i got from Gramps..
get a Sealed Bearing Set for your diffs, they Typically have a Blue color to the bearing, though not always. a sealed bearing will stop water seepage and protect and extend bearing life...
hth
Timmahh

Wide Open 05-23-2006 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

Inside the bearings? I don't think that would work - the stuff i'm using turns rubbery, so it't be water tight, but the bearings wouldn't move lol.
nevermind. haha. i thought you were using a different type of silcon, the drying stuff will at least seal joints well.:eek:

binaryterror 05-23-2006 12:13 PM

Removing rust...soak in PB blaster or Liquid Wrench. Then clean with fine Steel Wool.

Timmahh 05-23-2006 12:29 PM

Y do that when an oune of prevention yadda yadda yadda..... a few bux and a hr or 2 and your ready for snorkleing.... well not really, but a wet track wont be an issue.. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4292206/tm.htm]click here[/link] << read this thread, add sealed bearings to your truck and do the mods in the link and your set.... i ran all winter without issues..... ran all spring without issues. only prob i ever really had, was the ditch when my truck tries to go deep sea diving.... or haveing a header break from the cold rain hitting it when hot.
Timmahh

snowbl!nd 05-23-2006 01:41 PM

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

I didn't have any products lying around which are specifically designed for removing rust, nor did i fancy spending hours polishing the thing with steel wool so i improvised...

...the rusty parts are now sitting in some Pepsi Max! Apparently carbonate (fizzy) drinks remove rust, so i though i'd give it a go. I'll leave them in till tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. I already took the bearings apart and blasted them with nitro cleaner, they're spinning much more freely now. I also chucked them in the Pepsi to keep the ring gear company.

If it works i'll just replace the worn plastic diff case, and make sure the thing is watertight. :eek: Oh, and i'll try and make some money selling "iron rich" Pepsi, because *it's good for you* :D

dustin7837 05-23-2006 03:29 PM

yeah, the citric acid in soft drinks will eat rust. If you leave it in too long it will start to eat steel, but this will take a week or more to even start. WD-40 or any of the common rust removers/lubes will remove rust as long as they are not silicone or graphite.

Sealed bearings will help and use some silicone between your outer diff case halves. Plus, make sure you have some grease on your gears as grease will repel water.

I run one of my MT's up past its body in water. I just make sure I have everything silicone sealed, especially the batt/reciever case and diffs. Just toss a piece of pipe on your carb opening for a snorkel lol.

Wide Open 05-24-2006 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: dustin7837
Sealed bearings will help and use some silicone between your outer diff case halves. Plus, make sure you have some grease on your gears as grease will repel water.
i knew i was right about something! haha:D

Timmahh 05-24-2006 11:57 AM

actually a spray with wd 40 and about 5 minutes with some steel wool is all it takes, its very fast and easily done.
Timmahh

snowbl!nd 05-24-2006 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Pepsi seemed to do a good job.

Took the parts out, blasted them with WD-40 and nitro cleaner. Polished up the diff with a dremel and a wire brush attachment. Cleaned out the bearings, filled them with grease and reinstalled. Put everything back together and made sure to cover all the internals with lots of grease!

Happy diff.

dustin7837 05-24-2006 02:58 PM

Glad you got it sorted out! :D

snowbl!nd 05-24-2006 03:08 PM

Thanks, so am i!

GT Batman 05-24-2006 03:46 PM

So how do you guys clean out the bearings? Last weekend I was playing in some mud and I need to do the same as you[:o]

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...y/DSC00232.jpg

snowbl!nd 05-24-2006 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blimey looks like mind did, only minus the grass!

To clean the bearings i first removed them and wiped with a rag. Then remove the shields on either side and give a good blast of nitro cleaner or something like that. Then a good spray of WD-40 and wipe then off. Then i just packed them with grease (just a drop of light oil will probably do) and replaced the shields. They felt as good as new.

Right now i'm trying to save some other bearings, but they've siezed and i think they've had it. [:o]

Wide Open 05-25-2006 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: skyodyssey

So how do you guys clean out the bearings? Last weekend I was playing in some mud and I need to do the same as you[:o]

it seems that the tires of all things are the cleanest parts on that truck!:eek:

snowbl!nd 05-25-2006 08:26 AM

lol. Oh, and soaking bearings in WD-40 overnight seems to do a good job!

GT Batman 05-25-2006 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Wide Open

ORIGINAL: skyodyssey

it seems that the tires of all things are the cleanest parts on that truck!:eek:
LOL, yeah, we were racing under the lights and the whites of the tires was the only thing I could see down the back sections of the track, the body was totally covered in mud as well. The insides of the rims were filled with mudd as well. This truck had to wieght at least 3 lbs heavier at the end of the day, I think more like 5lbs. BUT IT WAS FUNNN:D