Search
Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Thunder Tiger FM-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger FM-1

Anyone out there have them? what hopups you have on them? Where can you get parts? Just talk about this awesome bike!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Thunder Tiger FM-1

Go to crazynutracing.com they have all the mods, although they seem to be out of stock on the soft compound tires, and stearing damper, Motor hop ups that I have seen on other forums show they are very inpressed with the Novak Super Sport Brushless system, not a bad buy at $229.00 for motor and controller, no maintainence, and equal to a 10 - 12 turn brushed so I hear. I haven't got one yet because I am 3 weeks away from all the funds I need to make a totally tricked out FM-1e. Read the other posts it's all there. Lots of Pictures too!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:33 PM

Yeah I have been to Crazy nut. i didnt knwo if there were others or what.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:48 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Some news from Rumor Central! Hey Ray up in the Great White North, pay attention.

I just saw on the "RadioControlZone" Forum, T T is going to come out with a ....
1/5 Nitro Ducati.

Even though my experience with TT has been rather underwhelming, I'd buy this in an instant.

But you know how rumors go. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:04 AM

I think all of the TT's bikes can get a mod kit for nitro, whatever.
Hey Jitters, Look at my new ( slightly used FM-1e) from Ebay, on the other post.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:34 AM

Hello, I'm new to all of this so any help would be appreciated. Anyways, I recently bought a Thunder Tiger FM-1E and I would like to know what kind of radio, servo, electric motor, ESC and battery should I get for it? Thanks for all your help. Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 03:55 AM

Hello, I'm new to all of this so any help would be appreciated. Anyways, I recently bought a Thunder Tiger FM-1E and I would like to know what kind of radio, servo, electric motor, ESC and battery should I get for it? Thanks for all your help. Thanks
Radio : Any 2CH Car radio is ok, there is quite a lot of space in the byke fo the receiver.
Servo : The Standard Servo is perfet for the byke
Motor: From a 11T to a Stock 27T ... I will suggest a 17T as ganeric one, or a 12T for best performance.
ESC : Any ESC is ok, better if has no reverse ... I suggest to stick over the battery pack instead of the chassis side as suggested in the manual
Battery: Or a NiCd 2400mAh or better a 3000/3300 NiMh

e_lm_70
Old 10-10-2003, 10:01 AM

Thanks e_lm_70 for your suggestions. So I should get all of that for the best performance? Also is there anyway I can turn the electric motor to a nitro? Would you know where to get a nitro motor?
Old 10-10-2003, 06:53 PM

Yo! Prince, and all other FM-1E owners! Here is another link to some mods(mainly a frame assembly).
Also has tons of setup info and beginners info. for guys like you and ME!
I should have my bike by the next week or month end. Lastly, the second link is a hobby shop I saw the advertisement for, in this forum. It sells Carbon Fibre Plate that you can get in black blue gold and silver finish (2mm thick), real cool and they throw in a free dremel diamond cutting tool to boot. You can try to cut frame plates yourself just remember to Bolt the two sides together first before laying out and drilling the frame spacers etc.. holes. Ask more questions on the subject and I will answer asap. Here are the 2 links:
http://www.arts-hobby.com/store/item...pid=1&pcatid=0

http://www.teambenwell.co.uk/
Old 10-10-2003, 08:07 PM

Hey Ray, thanks for the links. Are you planning to buy one of those carbon fiber plates? Do youn think it will be hard to make a chassis out of it?
Which motor are you going to get for your FM-1E? Which name brand is the best motor for the FM-1E? Do you also have any specific servos, esc and receiver that your planning to put into the FM-1E? Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:08 AM

Well I am actually "officially" on my Honey moon today and if I get caught posting I am dead. I try to answer a few questions. Will it be hard to make the chassis out of the graphite plate? Yes. Most of the plates of the chassis are exactly miror image when it comes to the holes drilled for the chassis spacers. The main difference between the sides of the main chassis are the holes for the motor motor mount etc. Like I said before I will start with 2 peices of plate cut the same size and then drill holes thru 2 corners diagonal to each other, 4 holes are not needed. Then disassemble one side of the bike. Now take one frame part and lay it down on the 2 peices of plate. Now to perfectly tranfer the holes from the aluminum plate to the graphite take a grey primer paint and lightly spray over the aluminum. This will now leave you with markings on the graphite to drill out when the paint dries, do not cut out all of the access holes only the small holes for the frame spacer bolts. Later you can lay out and cut the holes needed for the rest.
Remember I haven't even done this yet. So wait until I try first. In fact it would be smart to try it first with 1/8" thick air plane ply wood from the hobby shop. Just to get an idea of what you need to do, since the main center frame is not identical at all from right side to the left. Only the frame bolt holes are the same. Drill carefully, and try to find a drill bit that will work with this stuff, because you may go through a few drill bits before you are done. Art's Hobbies may have a drill bit suggestion since they sell cutters for the dremel tool which yo use to cut out th frame's final shape and some other holes. Like I said it's Hard, literally!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:33 AM

Now for motors and electronics, Since I am a beginner with motorcycles I will start with a "Mild" Motor, Name brands don't mean alot but the spec's do. I will try some stock motors first even a cheapy sealed can 540 will do. The reason to start off slow is to get used to turning and also the faster you go the quicker you need to stop. start with a cheesy 27 turn motor down to a 17 turn motor, and if you can get them try for a Quad wound motor, that means they use 4 wires for every turn on the inside. A quad motor will give a much smoother power band and not so radical and abrupt acceleration. You have to be smooth with a Bike. The speed control is a decision you need to make on your own. It should be a car speed control preferrably with no reverse, but with adjustable braking. Something from Novaks line or Tekin, or whatever as long as you get one that can handle mild to wild motors like a 10 or 12 turn Quad, and as long as it isn't a boat anchor or the size of a house! For future upgrades as your driving progresses. Also the faster you go, then you have to think about putting on a front brake upgrade, very worth while! From CNR. When it comes to servos and recievers, just start with what you might have for a car. They mention all over that no special servo is needed for the steering and a regular sized reciever is fine to start out with. Once you have the hang of things then you could go to a smaller RX and maybe even a smaller servo to save weight. I am used to driving with a wheel on the TX but I still have my old "Stick" TX radios, which I will dig up and use instead of a wheel type for starters. Uh Oh she is waking up! time to put on the Honeymoon Charm!!
see ya
Zeek Speed out!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:02 PM

Honeymoon Charm!?!?!?! Oh REALLY? Ray... charm... hmmm.
Hey Ray!! Congrats you old dog!!

One safety note puh-leeze! When anyone is working with carbonfiber, before you start cutting, drilling, sanding... wear a respirator mask. Then when you are done, while still wearing the mask, wipe up the mess with a damp papertowel or rag and toss it.

Also, for the longevity of your project and to keep the carbonfiber from de-laminating after you cut, sanded, or drilled it, run some thin CA all around the fresh edges of the carbonfiber.

Now I'm going to turn on my whup ass charm and get my kid to help me clean the house!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the Info Jitters, Here is a picture of me and the wife at Niagara on The Lake. Nice Bike Eh? Boss Hoss V-8. Small Block, You had to hear it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47086.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	67536  
Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 PM

A little OT, but that's a nice ride Ray! Have a great one you ol' dog you! BTW, now I see when you post that you are a "Senior Member" wowee zowee! Is that because, ah never mind I don't want to to dope slap me
Old 10-16-2003, 03:13 PM

Ray... take a look at the General Discussion Thread under the topic "OK all you experts, what is it?" I posted some pix of my shop. Showing off you know.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:08 AM

Default RE: <span class=

ray schrauwen
I have a question for ya..
You mentioned in your post on 10/12/03 a company called CNR in referance to a front brake upgrade kit?
Do you have any more info on that company i can't seem to find them.

Also to anyone that is intrested i found a carbon fibre frame set for the FM-1e on ebay.
Item #3156738203

Bill
Old 11-19-2003, 06:42 PM

The link to CNR Crazy nut racing is here: http://www.crazynutracing.com/default.php

I am going to attempt to make a C/F frame of my own.
I just placed an order for brakes , rims , tires, etc. abot 193.00 US $, I only paid $140.00 from Ebay for the whole bike. Also I suggest you checkout Yahoo Groups on motor cycles R/C. Here is their link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radiocontrolmotorcycles/
Old 11-19-2003, 06:51 PM

I just checked out those frame Pieces on Ebay, they look home made otherwise he would have called them Crazy Nut Parts. Their is little labour there and maybe $10.00 in C/F plate.
What a joke 45.00 Buy it now, It's only the top frame and tail frame, not the main Chassis.
Run away Be Afraid!!![:@]
I would do that too but I respect the Quality of CNR stuff, Plus it's a ***** to work with.
ZeekSpeed Freak
Old 11-19-2003, 06:53 PM

Wow they censored the B work, ya know for Female Dog! Wow, just imagine if I wrote Fu&# word?
What then??[]
Old 11-22-2003, 02:24 AM

Default RE: Nitro Bike

I just found this section of RCU. I have been looking at the Nuova Faor 1/5 scale nitro bike for sale at www.internet-rc.com. Any feedback.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ray schrauwen

Wow they censored the B work, ya know for Female Dog! Wow, just imagine if I wrote Fu&# word?
What then??[]
you should have written beach! sounds the same!