Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Royal RC bike rebuild/ update

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Custnam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal RC bike rebuild/ update

OK, after hours of research and work I got this thing up and running better than ever. Instead of hacking up the chassis anymore than I already did, I decided to stay with the stock motor size, and I remember how much I liked the Graupners when I was modding my micro rs4 years ago. So I picked up a Graupner speed 400, direct drop in. ANd I mean direct, no modification at all on this part which was great because all the rest... well wasnt so easy. I gutted all the stock electronics, including the servo. I installed a Dynamite 12 turn esc, which is small for a 540 capable esc which was great. And I replaced all the dusty/ ancient electronics with a basic Futaba 2PH set up, and standard s3003 servo. I cut out most of the plastic, mounts, etc that were in the servos area to start from scratch as far as the mounting. I used associated servo mounts which made the servo mounting a breeze. Then I cut out a section of the front of the chassis to allow for the new steering arm to pass through. I installed a ball end to the bottom of the triple tree, then I set up a standard thunder tiger, NF, type of linkage with a dual spring/ linkage slider/wheel collar set up, and used a stock Futaba servo horn with the linkage slider installed in the outer hole. I tensioned the springs (mostly by memory of how I had my ducati set up years ago). And I was hoping very much that Id get it right the first time because if you need to adjust the spring tension on this one, you have to almost rip the whole bike apart again. And im normally never this lucky but when I tested the bike it turned PERFECT, and tracked straight. I couldnt believe it. But before I got to that part I needed to decide on how I was going to mount the battery now that the stock swinging battery tray was out of the way. And the more I looked at the stock tray, the more I wanted to figure out a way to make it work. So heres what I did. I cut all of the plastic parts off that use to go up into the chassis and mount on the servo. I used 2 zip ties wrapped in opposite directions around the front. Then for the back I drilled 2 holes through the tray and into the chassis (being careful not to drill so far into the chassis that you hit the drive gears.) Then I used some small plastic spacers to create a little space between the tray and chassis, then screwed it all together. This worked perfect. No need to make another battery tray that would most likely be a permanent battery mounting. With this the batteries come in and out just like they did stock. After all this it runs great. Not the fastest thing, but for ($8 graupner motor) Its good enough. And the steering is SOOOO much better than stock. Very responsive, and can now make sharp turns, when before it was mostly long, wide turns that almost had to be predicted to do right. Heres some pics, I hope this can help anyone else thats trying to fix up an ol'royal!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61294.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	954143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11544.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	954144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67139.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	954145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36082.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	954146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37174.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	954147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55048.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	954148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58144.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	954149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38066.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	954150  

The following users liked this post:
drewA82 (11-03-2023)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 PM
WackoWasko

Default RE: Royal RC bike rebuild/ update

Are you selling it? I saw one on ebay that looked very similar. Anyways, how well does it handle compared to other 1:5 scale bikes?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Custnam

Yes, its sold now. After putting some softer springs in the shocks, and doing the steering mod, it handled quite well. Im waiting for the new 1/8th Venom bike to some out.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 PM
mikelouie8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good day sir, im from the philippines, i do have this kind of rc from my childhood, and hoping to rapair it, like the tires is is melted already, so after searching and asking, theres no wheels or tires are for sale, so i came up with the plan on doing a DIY on the tires using a shoe sole and cuving it to make a tires, it turns out fine.
next problem is my electronics, implaning to replace it like you have done, but the motor size is hard to find here,
my question is can i use a standard 540 motor on this motorcycle?
and do you have any pictures that might help a lot on modifiying.

thanks and great tutorial.

heres my email address: [email protected]
if theres any pictures that can help or any idea, ill apreaciate it
Old 01-15-2015, 04:51 PM
RCtriplets

I have one of these where one servo gear stripped. This has a 5-wire vintage servo motor with the marking M01 on the casing, no other identifying labels. I'm looking for either the servo gear set or the whole servo. Does anybody have these parts laying around? I'll attach a photo if that would help.

Does anybody recommend the upgrade Custnam made or is the vintage servo good enough?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
cbaker65

Thats cool man!

I use to have a kyosho with the impulse radio,Im quite sure that it had a 380 size motor in it.
The Graupner motors are a good motor.I use to run the 700 turbo flex in my boat with 12 volts.
I sure do miss my bike....It was alot of fun!....
Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 PM
RCtriplets

Hello Custnam,
Do you still have the original servo motor from this project, the one you replaced? If not maybe you have a gear-set for this servo? I'm trying to repair/replace my servo, see my post this month. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:15 AM
Thomaslit

Default -

trust me i want to but the wife has the funds on lock right now at the end of the year/begining of next season i am getting a new bike just not sure on what yet
Old 10-27-2021, 02:24 AM
JamesMorgan

you have done good things with that remote and other things, great job my friend hope to see you doing some more amazing stuff like that again.