Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

DuraTrax 1/5 DX450 Brushless On/Off-Road Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
topdave31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DuraTrax 1/5 DX450 Brushless On/Off-Road Motorcycle

I run my dx450 in my basement on carpet/ozite on a 20x30 layout with right and left turns and CAN CLEAR an 8 foot table top jump. i live in waterford mich. , so wherabouts is your hometown from detroit?
Steering:
1) slow down for corners! initiate the lean and wait for the bike to point in the right direction ,add throttle
2) make sure your steering springs are snugged up to the servo arm with no preload or slack (17mm eaach side)
I tried the "sensitive steering kit" and took it back off - may try it again some time but seemed less tunable than the stock setup
3) shorten the rub bars (stabilizers) so the bike will lean over more (the more it leans the tighter it will turn) you can really shorten it alot on carpet ( to about 55mm or so measuring from the chassis plate) ya need longer bars in the dirt.
4) play with the steering sensitivity knob on the transmitter (limits or increases servo travel)
There's more ya can do but you can have fun with it when ya get close to a good setupgood luck, Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85655.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	640.3 KB
ID:	1375236   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge95049.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	640.3 KB
ID:	1375237  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Vintage Guy

Topdave

We need some pictures of the track in your basement, im jealous.  We run in a basement but its with 18th scale cars.  Check out the web site in my signature.  Definetly would like some pics of the track, some video would be cool too, but dont want to be pushy  

VG
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are all those carbon textured parts plastic? Also, is this high sensitivity steering set worth it? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYKB1&P=Z
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
microDan

I think the carbon texture stuff is just that a finish put on the plastic, it serves no purpose other than bling.
The high sesitivity linkage is nothing more than a straight rod that mounts to the outer hole on the triple tree.
For less than a buck you just replace the angled rod on the stock linkage with a piece of straight rod and move the ball to the outer mount on the triple.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
microDan

Here is a pic of that linkage with silicone instead of springs.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks microdan. I was wondering if there was a better way. I'm still kicking around trying to decide whether to get one or not. I've read this thread and all the others on various forums. Sounds like a great rc.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
microDan

Yes, this is a great RC, this bike runs great right out of the box.
Of course as you can see we can't leave well enough alone.
But this is a hobby so there is always something to tinker with.
If you wanted a fun well built versatile 1/5 bike this is the one.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
topdave31

Hey Vintage guy,
I am just now venturing into "Image shack" and trying to teach myself how to up load pics and vids. I'm an old fart, so be patient with me.lol
Since you're a VINTAGE GUY I figured you might like this picture of me and my 1975 CZ Falta Replica bike from last summer. Your dad sold some of the same bikes I sold and rode back in the day. Enjoy.
I am going to try to shoot some Vids in the basement of my DTX 450 tomorrow. I took a look at your 1/18th scale track and all I ca say is WOW. What a layout. you put a ton of work in that track, hope your friends appreciate your effort!
Please don't expect to see anything close to rivaling your TRACK. lol

]
Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
topdave31

ORIGINAL: topdave31

Hey Vintage guy,
I am just now venturing into ''Image shack'' and trying to teach myself how to up load pics and vids. I'm an old fart, so be patient with me.lol
Since you're a VINTAGE GUY I figured you might like this picture of me and my 1975 CZ Falta Replica bike from last summer. Your dad sold some of the same bikes I sold and rode back in the day. Enjoy.
I am going to try to shoot some Vids in the basement of my DTX 450 tomorrow. I took a look at your 1/18th scale track and all I ca say is WOW. What a layout. you put a ton of work in that track, hope your friends appreciate your effort! Please don't expect to see anything close to rivaling you TRACK. lol

]
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Vintage Guy

Top Dave

Thats not my track, I dont have that much artistic talent or patience for that.  That track is my buddy Adams about a mile up the road, and yes we all appreciate his work.  There are about six of us that race at least once a week on it.  We have had as many as 8 on that track at once, that my freind gets a little hairy, but fun.

As fo the CZ pic, hell yes.  I have CZ I got it off ebay for nothing, its in rough shape of coarse.  I cant get over the whole Kick starter/shifter design, that is some weird ****.  My dad raced in the late 60's against Jimmy Weinert when he rode CZ's and Pop was on Bultacos.  Jimmy was single and had more money backing so he went pro, Pop had to many kids and not financial backing so he stayed local.  My dad had the number one plate in district 34 in NY for three straight years, and managed to beat Jimmy a few times.  All that was before my time, I have some pics though so its all good.  Mom got tired of raising four kids by herself(since he was racing all the time) and made him choose.  When it came time for me to race I thinks she put the halt on that too.  Cant compain though, I started riding at age 4 and always had a bike to ride. 

Whenever you get the pics that would be great.  We havent found an indoor arena big enough for the bike yet.  Got kicked out of the Lowes parking lot a few weeks ago.  Cant wait for spring so I can hit the local dirt track!!!

VG
Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM
topdave31

ORIGINAL: Vintage Guy

Top Dave

Thats not my track, I dont have that much artistic talent or patience for that. That track is my buddy Adams about a mile up the road, and yes we all appreciate his work. There are about six of us that race at least once a week on it. We have had as many as 8 on that track at once, that my freind gets a little hairy, but fun.

As fo the CZ pic, hell yes. I have CZ I got it off ebay for nothing, its in rough shape of coarse. I cant get over the whole Kick starter/shifter design, that is some weird ****. My dad raced in the late 60's against Jimmy Weinert when he rode CZ's and Pop was on Bultacos. Jimmy was single and had more money backing so he went pro, Pop had to many kids and not financial backing so he stayed local. My dad had the number one plate in district 34 in NY for three straight years, and managed to beat Jimmy a few times. All that was before my time, I have some pics though so its all good. Mom got tired of raising four kids by herself(since he was racing all the time) and made him choose. When it came time for me to race I thinks she put the halt on that too. Cant compain though, I started riding at age 4 and always had a bike to ride.

Whenever you get the pics that would be great. We havent found an indoor arena big enough for the bike yet. Got kicked out of the Lowes parking lot a few weeks ago. Cant wait for spring so I can hit the local dirt track!!!

VG
That must be an old 125/175 CZ trail bike, I'm guessing, the one that the shifter and kick starter is the same pedal. lol
More tomorrow I hope...Dave
Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 AM
nano cup

TopDave31, Nice Chay Zed!!! I'm aAHRMA VMXer ,I ride 50+ expert and classic 125. Vintage Guy what your dads name he might have thrown dirt in my face in old day's. Rich78n.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Vintage Guy

Nano

Pop raced only in NY and a few Mass and Pa races.  His name was Joe Spear.  He was district 34 number one plate holder in the 250 two stroke class for '68 to '71 I think.  I know he had it in '71 because the day I was born my mom wouldnt let anyone tell him she was going to the hospital because it was an important points race for the championship and didnt want him to blow it.  I think i was the only one of the six kids in my fam that my dad wasnt present at the birth.

I learnded a valuable lesson today for the DX450, the plastic Spur gear DOES NOT like a LiPo battery!!!  Split that sucker right in two!!!!!  Going to order a metal one as soon as I get off here....

Top Dave

Yeah it is a 125, dont know much more about it.....

VG
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Vintage Guy

Didnt see wether anyone mentioned it yet, but the Aluminum Gyro is now available on http://www.2wheelhobbies.com/.  I cant afford it right now but maybe some of you can...

VG
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Kaw1000

Looks like a good price here!
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
THE HP FREAK
My Feedback: (1)

HI!... Any updates on the DT-450's?????? Just curious. I'm hoping to get one in the Spring.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
buddman36

SNOW,SNOW AND MORE SNOW !!! GOT MY NEW FRONT ALUMINUM FORKS TODAY !!! BUT TO MUCH SNOW TO RUN FOR NOW. WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO SEE WHEN I INSTALL THESE NEW FORKS ??
Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Vintage Guy

I got my first run today with a 2 cell lipo and both front and rear street tires!!!!  Have to say it again, GREATEST R/C VEHICLE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Keeping the front wheel on the ground is a challange with the stock radio!!

VG
Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Kaw1000

Hey HP,
MicroDan is the authority around here....I just got mine today. Seems like it is really well built.
Before I even take it for a ride there are several things I'm going to do with it.
Most of the upgraded parts are not available right now...but will be soon.

The only upgrade I could get is the main gear that connects to the pinion on the motor.
It is metal, the factory is plastic and seems to break with the 3 cell set up.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Kaw1000

ORIGINAL: buddman36

SNOW,SNOW AND MORE SNOW !!! GOT MY NEW FRONT ALUMINUM FORKS TODAY !!! BUT TO MUCH SNOW TO RUN FOR NOW. WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO SEE WHEN I INSTALL THESE NEW FORKS ??
Where did you get the forks...every where I look they are back ordered.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Ya I've been following this thread for a while now. Decided to finally join the site. My LHS has several of the DT-450's in stock currently. Would luv to get one right now but want to grab the Traxxas P/E Slash 4x4 1st, then the DT-450. They already have a ton of the hop up parts on their wall. The owner of the HS has one for himself and luvs it. This would be my 1st R/C motorcycle. I currently have a "86" Tamiya BIGWIG (stock), and another that is massively modified, including a custom built aluminum chassis, a E-REVO, and soon to have a Traxxas P/E Slash 4x4. In the past I have owned the Hornet, Grasshopper, Hotshot. I got out of R/C back in "89" and just recently got back into it again last year. I luv all the new technology and how far the hobbie has come since then. I fell in luv with it again. lol!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Kaw1000

Hey HP...hold on to your wallet..temptation will empty it! Its a disease its a disease!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Ya tell me about it. The E-REVO right now is killing me. I've got it set-up for top speed runs and destroyed all the stock bearings causing a blown ring/pinnion. Just ordered a set of ceramic ball bearings. Cost was $140(CAN) ouch!!! LOL! Just going to wait for the income tax to show up and mabey by both the Slash 4x4 and the DT-450.... LOL!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
slawsonb

Regarding using the fuel tubing on the steering linkage instead of springs... Don't do it! The article was written by someone who doesn't know anything about how bikes work.

Bruce
http://2wheelhobbies.com
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
slawsonb

Aftermarket option parts for the Duratrax DX450 and Anderson M5.

http://2wheelhobbies.com/index.php?cPath=23_59

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.