Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Nitro Rustler experiment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Nitro Rustler experiment.

I've had this truck for quite awhile, the engine even longer. This engine (3.3 Traxxas) has 8 gallons on it, all bone stock except for a new set of bearings about a gallon ago. Took the CVEC soft and put this airplane tuned pipe on it and ran it. The old needle settings were too rich on the bottom and too lean on top. I leaned the low and fattened the high and took to the street. The truck is definitely faster, albeit a little slower to spool up. It's very torquey, and the torque comes on a little later and way smoother. You can get into the throttle a bit off the line and the front end stays down. It wants to do rolling wheelies far more and easier. Did I mention it's damn loud? Yeah, watch the video and towards the end you'll heat the sound get all wonky when I rev the engine. My ears are still ringing and I only ran two tanks through it.

Jato suspension, Macs Products .21-.32 airplane tuned pipe, Traxxas N.Rusty header, Picco P6S glow plug, 20/11 custom fuel, stock 20/70 clutch/spur. The Jato suspension makes this truck WAY more controllable at speed. She's actually pretty nimble and fast for being what it is. The engine just won't die.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6761.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2215368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6763.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2215369  
Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Fixerupper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome! This is the kind of thing I'd love to do.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Fixerupper
This is awesome! This is the kind of thing I'd love to do.
I do all kinda of weird stuff. The truck ran great - the long pipe actually seemed to be a lot torquier than the short CVEC pipe I had on the truck originally. Given the timing layout of the engine, I'm not surprised it responded as well as it did to the long pipe. It ran really well. When I am able, I'll do some speed runs with a GPS and take some more videos. This rustler will probably do 60mph on a good day.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Fixerupper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting. It's funny since you read how fragile these motors can be but then you have these crazy outliers and experiments that prove how robust and varied they can be too. I wonder what about a larger area for backpressure improves its performance?
I definately plan on dropping a 3.3 or a equivalent in my nitro sport once i have the minor things upgraded- I may try this timing and pipe approach haha it's unique and awesome.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Fixerupper
That's interesting. It's funny since you read how fragile these motors can be but then you have these crazy outliers and experiments that prove how robust and varied they can be too. I wonder what about a larger area for backpressure improves its performance?
I definately plan on dropping a 3.3 or a equivalent in my nitro sport once i have the minor things upgraded- I may try this timing and pipe approach haha it's unique and awesome.
People blow 3.3s up if they use the Traxxas manual as gospel and never adjust the needle valve to attain proper temperature. The factory needle settings are only to get the engine started. They are NOT to be used throughout break-in. I have a different idea when it comes to break-in - both in how I adjust the engine as well as the fuel I use. If you use the right fuel, break it in right, and ignore the manual, a 3.3 can last a long ass time. I wouldn't be surprised if mine will see 10 gallons of fuel. Not bad for a junky Taiwanese engine!

And FWIW - the engine in this Nitro Rustler has over 8 gallons on it and it still has mechanical pinch. All I've done to it is replace the bearings a couple years ago. The 3.3 in my Jato has about 5 gallons through it now and it too got new bearings at the same time as the other 3.3. When I get around to it, I'm going to modify a 3.3 for the Jato. I have a brand new one in my engine drawer. I entertained a big block swap into the Jato, but the kits are hard to find since being discontinued.