Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 PM
RCJuice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

HPI used to sell the kit for the MT2 but they stopped making it.  You can just use a 2 speed setup from an RS4 EVO3.  You need the clutchbell and trans setup.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
topflight-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

My son has gotten me into Nitro Trucks and I purchased the MT2 but I seem to be having problems. I went thru all the break in as the manual said and ran it for 2 tanks after that but the performance seem to fall. I broke it in with 33% that my son had and ran out of that and bought some 20%, do you think that could be it? Also, I have been trying to tune it for hours and did it by the book with 1mm gap in the carb and put the HS and LS needle back to factory and got the idle and all set perfect (I did this with the wheels in the air where they can spin freely) but as soon as I put it on the ground the motor stops and this also happens when I try to apply breaks. I have loosen the breaks up and that problem cleared but what about the breaks? The only thing I can think of is the slipper clutch is too tight and the bell clutches are messed up, what do you think?

I plan on getting the above mentioned 2 speed but want to find out what the current problem is instead of compounding the prolem.

Thanks
Joe
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try opening the gap a teeny bit more in the carb.
sounds like when the brakes are applied its pushing the gap a tiny bit farther closed
Also use blue loctite on the threads to prevent the screw from backing out from the vibrations.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM
johncody

hello testing
Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 PM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: johncody

hello testing
????
Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Chriscraft

hello topflite,
When adjusting the carb for an idle, I did what the book said to do for breaking in. When I set the truck on the block and started it, I adjusted the idle screw till the wheels were not moving or just starting to turn. I had tested my brakes before I started the truck by setting my servos to center then using the adjuster to set them to stop the truck just by pushing the truck across the floor without engine power. Then I proceeded with break-in proceedure.
Just something I did to my MT2.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 AM
smitty2919

Hey guys...I just picked up a MT2 used but the guy only ran 1 tank through it. I finished the break in process. Is it me or is the .18 motor sensitive to tuning. My savage 25 motor has a lot of play when it comes to tuning it (I finished the brak in on that motor as well). It seem anything more than 1 turn in of the HSN from stock setting, it boggs under WOT.

Also, the brakes on mine are AWEFUL lol. I adjusted the end stop on the linkage as far as it will go just before the brakes would start to drag, and they still stink lol. I THINK it's because whoever oiled the filter put too much on it and it dripped on the disc. It takes almost 50+ ft to come to a stop from nearly top speed.I changed the shock oil to 35 and they are much better than that junk oil it came with stock lol. It was like water.

I'm posting in here to ask what you guys use your MT2 for. I got it as a good deal in hopes to replace my Tmaxx 3.3 (lowered, rpm arms/skid plate, integy bulkheads and spur gearand set up for backyard racing...nothing serious). I also have a stock savage 25 for bashing and jumps. I'm not all that impressed with the MT2. During tuning i ran into a curb ata 45 deg angle with the front end going, what I thought was quite slow getting on the brakes, and the screw on the bottom going into the steering knuckle pulled out. That didn't sit well with me knowing if an impact like that was an issue, I wouldn't dare jump the truck. God forbid it lands any way other than flat on all 4 wheels LOL. It doesn't have much of a low end pick up (maybe it's my tuning) but again the Tmaxx can rip and somewhat hang with my buddies Revo and Slayer Pro. The MT2 seems it struggles a tad on grass with the smaller wheels. I may get the Tmaxx extended chassis, and if I do I feel the MT2 couldn't hold it's own against it...deeming it uselss to me and I would sell it.

I'm basically looking for opinions from memeber who posted in a 849 pg thread on ONE TRUCK LOL. Is this thing only a smooth dirt track type of truck with minimal jumps?? Motor is brand new so an upgrade wouldn't be in my future. The savage 25 motor would fit but I don't want to dump money into the diffs etc....to keep the MT2 or not to keep the MT2 is the question.

...sorry for long post

Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM
smitty2919

No one visits this thread anymore? lol
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
KeithjV

The MT2 has trouble in the grass because of the low ride height as well as the way its geared.
The plastics on the MT2 are good but nor quite as durable as the savage line. Unfortunately there are no aftermarket arms available for the truck. Id suggest getting alloy knuckles and C hubs. They hold up much better but you still retain the flex of the plastic.
As for the brakes. If you look back some pages you'll see pictures of the throttle mod I did on mine. It helps the braking but you still need a higher torque servo then the stock one.
The suspension travel isnt that long so its going to bottom out on large jumps. It wont soak them up like a savage or a revo, but its not supposed to. Its a stadium truck not a monster truck. The truck handles pretty well on most tracks. If you are going to attempt large jumps though you have to try to land on a down slope or its going to bottom hard.
The stock diffs are not the best. If you can get the SS diffs youll do better.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM
RustyTumbles

Dusted of my MT2 and took it for a spin today. Some kids have made some good jumps at the back of the local park so I decided to test them out. Also took the dog to give her some exercise. She loves RC Cars and will chase them all day long if you let her. LOL. Ended the run on a bad note though. Something swamped the frequency I was on and the truck ranaway across the park flat out until it hit a tree. Busted the servo saver. Lucky I have a 2.4 radio on the way!

Anyway here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97239.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1635351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15994.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1635352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20110.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1635353  
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
RustyTumbles

Some post clean pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90234.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1635375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59466.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1635376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75063.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1635377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73818.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1635378  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 AM
nitro-rob

Those SCT tires look good on the MT2.  I may try some of them on my firestorms.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 AM
smitty2919

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

The MT2 has trouble in the grass because of the low ride height as well as the way its geared.
The plastics on the MT2 are good but nor quite as durable as the savage line. Unfortunately there are no aftermarket arms available for the truck. Id suggest getting alloy knuckles and C hubs. They hold up much better but you still retain the flex of the plastic.
As for the brakes. If you look back some pages you'll see pictures of the throttle mod I did on mine. It helps the braking but you still need a higher torque servo then the stock one.
The suspension travel isnt that long so its going to bottom out on large jumps. It wont soak them up like a savage or a revo, but its not supposed to. Its a stadium truck not a monster truck. The truck handles pretty well on most tracks. If you are going to attempt large jumps though you have to try to land on a down slope or its going to bottom hard.

Thanks for the reply. Everything you are saying Ihave come to realize lol. I wasnn't expecting it to be a basher, but a little more durable though. I'm actually selling it because for me there is no use for it. The low end (again compared to my savage 25 and 3.3 tmaxx) just isn't there. Once up to speed the MT2 scoots though.

I made/making the Tmaxx into my racer so the MT2 is leaving. Plus I don't need another money pit and another heap of parts laying around LOL. I didn't really know what to expect from this... ohh well live and learn.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
KeithjV

If you through an OS .18 in it you will see a huge difference
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 AM
RustyTumbles

Hey Guy's

Just wondering what bodies out there will fit the MT2? My stock body is pretty beat up and I'm looking for something other than another stock body to replace it with.

Cheers

Rusty
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RustyTumbles

Hey Guy's

Just wondering what bodies out there will fit the MT2? My stock body is pretty beat up and I'm looking for something other than another stock body to replace it with.

Cheers

Rusty
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXD92&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTM59&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPU0&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPU1&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPU2&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXD92&P=7
Just to link to a few that should mount on with 0 mods
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 AM
RustyTumbles

Excellent, Thankyou! I like the silverado and the F-350.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 AM
mt2nitronut

If you throw in the trx 3.3 you will find a huged difference lol
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
mt2nitronut

If you throw in the trx 3.3 you would find a huge difference ,as for the parts i boiled mine first then assemble makes them bend more without snapping lol
ORIGINAL: smitty2919

ORIGINAL: KeithjV

Thanks for the reply. Everything you are saying I have come to realize lol. I wasnn't expecting it to be a basher, but a little more durable though. I'm actually selling it because for me there is no use for it. The low end (again compared to my savage 25 and 3.3 tmaxx) just isn't there. Once up to speed the MT2 scoots though.

I made/making the Tmaxx into my racer so the MT2 is leaving. Plus I don't need another money pit and another heap of parts laying around LOL. I didn't really know what to expect from this... ohh well live and learn.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
smitty2919

Well I picked up a LRP .30 for my savage and I may throw my 25 from the savage into the Tmaxx....so I will be upping the power of both trucks... I could throw the used 3.3 from the Tmaxx into the MT2 but then I would have to upgrade the diffs etc....hence it becomes a money pit LOL.

I know once the bigger motor goes into the MT2, things will start breaking and I won't want to fix them. Thus making it harder to sell.

I would like to see how it moves with the TRX 3.3 though
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM
mt2nitronut

You could check mine out on utube should be under mt2nitronut2 if i,m not mistaken dont get utube here at work so i cant get the link

ORIGINAL: smitty2919

Well I picked up a LRP .30 for my savage and I may throw my 25 from the savage into the Tmaxx....so I will be upping the power of both trucks... I could throw the used 3.3 from the Tmaxx into the MT2 but then I would have to upgrade the diffs etc....hence it becomes a money pit LOL.

I know once the bigger motor goes into the MT2, things will start breaking and I won't want to fix them. Thus making it harder to sell.

I would like to see how it moves with the TRX 3.3 though
Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
mt2nitronut

Heres the link found my old post lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cUMegvpg4
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Ruger-777

Wicked vid & song nitronut! What wing mount is that
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
smitty2919

ORIGINAL: mt2nitronut

Heres the link found my old post lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cUMegvpg4
Thanks for the link, looks crazy. Have any pics of the motor install/installed? Is it the TRX3.3 or HPI 25?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
mt2nitronut

Trx 3.3 simple motor mount spacers underneath origginal trx motor mount hold clutch bell to spur
gear and mark holes lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.