Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Need a Mild, Reliable Engine... Suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Need a Mild, Reliable Engine... Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:09 PM
XDD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Mild, Reliable Engine... Suggestions?

Well, I think it is time to start looking for a replacement for my XTM .15. It has seen some good days, but now is showing wear. It doesnt start up when it gets hot (although it doesn't flame out), sometimes the carb leaks fuel, and the front crank bearing is beginning to show some play. I want something new.

This engine is only rated at .5 hp according to RC Nitro's dyno, and I am plenty satisifed with the speed and power of this thing, so I don't need (nor even want) a wild, high power output engine. I want something around the .7hp range that is very reliable. I'm just a basher, that doesnt need a whole lot of power at all really, considering any nitro engine puts out plenty of power for a lightweight stadium truck.

Is the HPI T-15 (OE for the HPI MT2) any good? I noticed it was only 70 bucks at Tower, and I know HPI knows how to make potent engines, so I figure they might be good at making reliable ones as well.

Anyone with suggestions, feel free to chime in. I just need something that will last me a long time. There are so many engines now, trying to find the right one can be overwhelming. Thus, I ask for help.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 AM
andrewsj
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need a Mild, Reliable Engine... Suggestions?

i have the mt2 with a t-15. was VERY fast when i got it but after 10 good runs she ran out of power. would not carry the truck anymore. I think i might have gotten a bad one though. Everyone that i have talked to said they are good engines. It was very reliable and easy to tune. That baby would start right away everytime. NO PROBLEM! i sent it in but dont know what they found yet. i can post another reply when i hear what it was. I bought a O.S. CV-RX .18. I have heard these are the best. Very fast and very reliable. I have yet to find out because i have had trouble getting it to mount. I do know that o.s. engines are good though.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
HPI MT2
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

everybody knows I'm gonna say this, BUT...
.12 CVR, $125ish at tower.
go buy one!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Saboteur10573

Mild reliable engine would indeed be the .12CVR or the new fantoms engines.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
yznaction

you could consider the O.S. .15, even theough its a little pricie, its super reliable
Old 03-07-2005, 05:27 PM
XDD

I'm looking for something under the $100 mark. I can still make due with my engine for a while. It's still got life in it and runs well and starts easily (when cold or warm), but this summer, I'm gonna be racking up a lot of miles on the engine, and this one isn't going to cut it most likely.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
RC Prodigy

I say a Duratrax Torq .16!!!!! I had one on my Max ST for atleast 2 years and I put it through hell and back (ultra lean mixture and 230°+ temps) and it still started right up every time. I finally upgraded to a .21 just because I wanted more power (I obviously don't run the .21 like that because I want it to last). I sold it to a friend who bought a Max ST with a .12 and he wanted to upgrade it to a .16. He ran it for another year before he had to rebuild it because the hobby shop sold him the wrong glowplug or something and it busted a hole in the piston.

So basically if you want a really reliable engine with a fair ammount of power go for the .16 or .12. Even if you treat it like dirt it will still pretty much start right up every time.

You can get one from Tower Hobbies for right at $100
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRN98&P=ML

Or if you want a little less power, go with the .12 that is right at $60
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD460&P=7
Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
XDD

Had the .16 in my Max MT, lol. It was alright, but I didn't like it as much as my XTM. I'd like to keep my XTM. Power output is fine, and it still runs reliably, despite the current problems, I'd just hate to fix it and know I could have had a brand new engine for the price it costed me to get this thing running like new again.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 PM
XDD

I am actually considering buying an O.S. rotary carb (slide is cool, but too much trouble in an ST) from ebay and putting it on this sucker. I actually found a good carburetor, it's the 10E rotary off the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ14&P=ML]CV 12[/link]. This should work on my engine, shouldn't it? My engine uses a pinch bolt as well, so at least that is alike. I always hear of people swapping O.S. carbs to other engines all the time.

If I can do this, I'll go ahead and keep the engine, and just replace the P/S when the time comes.

I really hope the carb will work, cause I don't want to buy a whole new engine if I don't have to. I have a lot of memories with this lil sucker, and it's always treated me good. You just can't expect it to stay like new forever.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
killer89
My Feedback: (-1)

os .18

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGP8&P=0
Old 03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
stevblutu15

i find my traxxas pro.15 to be extremely reliable. Starts EVERY time. unlike a few other engines ive had.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

yeah, the pro 15 is a beast for longevity, you just can't kill em!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
GT-Power

i will reccomend a dynamite .12 SPD engine. Its a very good mill and its well under 100 dollars with plenty of power and stays in tune just as well as my O.S. .12CV-R. Alot of people here run it with 4+ gallons of fuel and they have no trouble with it. They also make sure there engines are in good shape too by always having clean filters and lots of after run oil and good temps too.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:06 PM
XDD

I always have maintained my engines well, so that would not be a problem. I have actually really been looking at the Dynamite series of engines. I have always liked their products (I had there 1500's that held 2000mah, lol) and I like the looks of there engines. Plus, their pull-starts appear to be compatible with my current engine.

I'll certainly give a look at the Dynamite line. Power output isn't a big deal, just want something thats reliable.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say you can't get an engine that is cheap and powerful. Baloney, you just gotta know where to look

.16 size engine for 49.00 bucks. These are normally priced at 100+ but seem to be on sale right now. I bought one of these engines two years ago for my Duratrax Maximum ST and it was so powerful that I had to change the gearing to make it a little more manageable-this was on 15% airplane fuel too!

http://www.ahc1931.com/products.php?ID=AHCC3006
Old 03-08-2005, 07:43 PM
XDD

That looks a lot like the Megatech NEO .16. I dunno though, there is just something about payin only 50 bucks for an engine that I don't feel right about. Plus, it doesn't match my truck, lol.

I found a Dynamite .12SPD pull start engine for 85 bucks on horizon hobby. That's what I am going with when the time comes I think. Plus, if I ever did go up to the track sometime, I could have a perfectly legal truck.

I just want a .12. They rev nice and high, get good fuel economy (important to a basher if you only have a 75cc tank), and wouldn't be overly powerful, but certainly wouldnt be slow. Maybe then I wouldn't have to keep the slipper loose just to drive the thing.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Neo .16 is agreat engine and worked out great for me. I love the extra power it had over my previous engine. It started easy, was 100% reliable, and fairly powerful.

I guess you only base the quality of an engine on its price. Most of these Chinese made engines are sold to US distributers for 25 bucks. I know because I did some research in becoming a reseller in the USA for another brand. You won't believe the markups!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:50 PM
XDD

I don't focus so much on price as brand name. I know Dynamite is a good, creditable company. The engine you linked me to didn't have a name anywhere on the information page, it just looks like the Megatech Neo .16. If it truly is the Megatech .16, and not some knock-off, that is a great deal and I will certainly give it a second look.

I'm just very picky when it comes to buying an engine, because it is something you are going to have to live with for a while, and I want to be sure it's a quality product.