Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Help with Tigerdrive on AE .15

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 PM
clarinetjd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tigerdrive on AE .15

I installed a Tigerdrive S680 on an RC10GT RTR and the installation went fine. The problem is that it seems to not "grip" consistently to turn the engine over. I'm using an HPI Rotostart (with polarity reversed) and the Tigerdrive wand. It will engage in about 1 of every 3 or 4 presses of the start button. Interestingly, if I use a power drill slowly, it will consistenly crank at lower rpms and continue to crank as the rpms are increased. This would be fine, but I don't think the lower rpms will actually fire up the engine and I would rather use the Rotostart and not a drill.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:41 PM
EdsWords

Default RE: Help with Tigerdrive on AE .15

I suspect the one-way bearing is slipping. You can try cleaning it, but it usually means it needs replaced.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:36 AM
clarinetjd

ORIGINAL: EdsWords

I suspect the one-way bearing is slipping. You can try cleaning it, but it usually means it needs replaced.
I'm relatively new to nitro, and from what I've read about one-way bearings slipping, I would agree; however I think the one-way in my AE .15 was in the pull-start, and not inside the motor? (without a starter installed, I can turn the shaft in either direction with my fingers) Does that sound possible, or is there still a bearing in the motor that would need to be cleaned/oiled/replaced?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:01 PM
jandb917

actually i think the promblem may be the roto start due to the fact that the roto start system usally has a gear reduction set up it allows it (roto start) to turn over and engine easier the tiger drive you are using does not have that reduction to it, also the roto start has a built in impact effect to it like a impact driver if it cant turn it it will keep trying to just poppng the spring loaded imapct inside the unit in effect it stops turning.......... that is why the drill will turn it over and not the rotor start........... i had the same isssue i had a buddy who tried his roto start on a bigger engine with no reduction gear set up and it would start to turn it over then when it built up compression it would stop , but if you took out the plug it would turn it over all day long sooooooooo you either must use a drill or find a way to lock the impact effect on the roto start..........
Old 03-25-2005, 04:21 PM
craig_78

ORIGINAL: jdriza

ORIGINAL: EdsWords

I'm relatively new to nitro, and from what I've read about one-way bearings slipping, I would agree; however I think the one-way in my AE .15 was in the pull-start, and not inside the motor? (without a starter installed, I can turn the shaft in either direction with my fingers) Does that sound possible, or is there still a bearing in the motor that would need to be cleaned/oiled/replaced?
The one-way bearing is inside the gear that you slip over the shaft. This bearing went on my Tigerdrive.

You could also try adjusting the spider gears to mesh better by loosening the cover screws and pushing the whole assemply towards the front of the engine then tighten it down.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 PM
stavman11

I just baught one, and installing tonight, well see how mine works
Old 03-26-2005, 05:41 AM
clarinetjd

I was actually able to get mine running yesterday by using the drill. The drill is an small Makita (7.2 volt), and I would start slowly squeezing the trigger and the Tigerdrive would engage fine, but max rpms is pretty low.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:49 AM
stavman11

Mine installed fine, one problem, figured my hexdrive start for MGT would work... WRONG!!!!!, sill me, rcboyz to the rescue, should see it like Wed., no biggie too wet and cold anyways ta run it, heck it hasent even seen the outdoors or Nitro yet LOL

It seems to grab good and be what it should be, very happpy so far. I can revers turn mine by hand, but now way fully rotate the starting way, grabs to hard as well as solid commpression with new motor. The one-way bearing is not on the pullstart otherwise cant see how it would be installed.

Like Craig 78 says the tiger drive has its own one-way bearing, I agree with him that a re-adjustement of the Tigerdrive gear mesh is in order
Old 03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
clarinetjd

Even using the drill, mine is slipping this morning. Is yours very easy to reverse turn by hand, or do you get some slight resistance? (ie. how tight is your mesh?) Mine spins very easily when I turn it counter-clockwise with my fingers and clockwise to the point of compression. Maybe my gear mesh is too loose. I will try to tighten the mesh and try again.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:38 PM
stavman11

Pretty easy to revers spin, It is hooked up good clockwise even right after full compression.

I think you should try and adjust gears, i think yers are a little loose or too much play
Old 03-26-2005, 05:41 PM
clarinetjd

You were absolutely right! It was the gear alignment/adjustment. I played around with sliding the unit in all different directions, trying after each small adjustment and finally got the perfect alignment after about the 4th try. And the bonus is it works with both the drill and the HPI Rotorstart (with the polarity reversed)!

Thanks all for your suggestions!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 PM
javier58

hey guys ive been reading a lot about the tiger drive and some other types of starting methods, i.e.(starter boxes mainly) and i really leaning towards the tiger drive. Now, my question is, do i really need a very very powerfull hand held drill to start the engine because the cordless drill that i own its a coleman 12v and it does its job but it isnt kinda like THAT powerfull. Also if i were to buy a starter box, im interested to know your opinions about the associated factory team starter box (since im running a rc10gt) and the OFNA 1/10 starter box (the one that comes with accesories at towerhobbies). Those 2 are the models im interested in but feel free to make any other recomendation/sugestion. Another thing now that im clearing all my doubts. I also want to buy a new set road tires for mi rc10gt and i was looking forward to buy the wabash wheel/road rage tire combo at towerhobbies but i noticed that they included the associated adaptors as part of the nesesary items for install. My question is do i really need those because they dont specify if the ones they are selling are the front ones or the rear ones.

all the help you can give me will be greatly apreciated
tnx
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 AM
clarinetjd

ORIGINAL: javier58

hey guys ive been reading a lot about the tiger drive and some other types of starting methods, i.e.(starter boxes mainly) and i really leaning towards the tiger drive. Now, my question is, do i really need a very very powerfull hand held drill to start the engine because the cordless drill that i own its a coleman 12v and it does its job but it isnt kinda like THAT powerfull. Also if i were to buy a starter box, im interested to know your opinions about the associated factory team starter box (since im running a rc10gt) and the OFNA 1/10 starter box (the one that comes with accesories at towerhobbies). Those 2 are the models im interested in but feel free to make any other recomendation/sugestion. Another thing now that im clearing all my doubts. I also want to buy a new set road tires for mi rc10gt and i was looking forward to buy the wabash wheel/road rage tire combo at towerhobbies but i noticed that they included the associated adaptors as part of the nesesary items for install. My question is do i really need those because they dont specify if the ones they are selling are the front ones or the rear ones.

all the help you can give me will be greatly apreciated
tnx
Powerful drill is not required. I think I have an old Makita 6v and it works just fine.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 PM
javier58

what about the adapters?