Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

ugh... maybe its time for an OS CV-RX .18

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

ugh... maybe its time for an OS CV-RX .18

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 04:59 PM
snowball1288

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugh... maybe its time for an OS CV-RX .18

ok, so i had a blast with my friends driving my nitro evader around... and i went to start it this afternoon. Everything looked good, lots of compression, etc. Id noticed earlier that my pull start's one way bearing was slipping a tad, but i decided it was okay. So after priming, i gave it a pull, and my one way bearing slipped.... and then caught.... and my pull start rope snapped. ARRGGG!!!!! i dont want to spend ANY money on my engine. I like pullstarts.... but my car isnt *that* old (maybe a year or so of light driving).

What are my choices here? New pull start? ..... new engine? lol. My dtx is quite nice, revs higher than shmeal's os cvrx (although im running a slightly lower gear ratio with much smaller tires). still.... its not too shabby for a stock engine. id like to pour all my money into my rc planes.... but id want to keep my car in running condition as i have invested a bit of money into it.

What would you do?

(and shmeal, dont say buy noah's engine )
Old 05-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Kemo

Default RE: ugh... maybe its time for an OS CV-RX .18

if it still runs well, replace the pullstart.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:12 PM
snowball1288

its not hard right? Ive heard the horror stories about pullstarters springing apart into a thousand pieces....
Old 05-01-2005, 05:33 PM
David D

Buy a tigerdrive and just use a drill to start it.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:49 PM
XDD

I have screwed around with pullstarts so long that I can completely rebuild one. If it just snapped, it's really easy to fix, as long as you don't let the spring come out.

But, seeing as how you have limited knowledge about pull-start internals, just buy a new one, you can use the old one for spares as you learn more of how it all works.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:15 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

one thing you might wanna consider is
if you break strings...get some steel cable
Old 05-02-2005, 05:33 PM
RC Prodigy

noooo don't get the tigerdrive, I've had two and the bearings wear out really fast, compared to pullstart. I've replaced my share of pullstarts and it's not that hard, just be careful with it. When you purchase your new pullstart, it will more than likely have a rubber band over the inside where the bearing is, when you remove the rubber band, make sure that you never tip it over or the spool will fly out and the coil will come out and it is damn near impossible to put it back together. Another thing that could be wrong with it is the starting shaft could be worn, what I would suggest is before you spend money on a new pullstart, take the old one off, then remove the starting plate and pull the shaft out of the plate and run your fingernail down the length of the shaft starting from the large flat end with the notch in it to the other end to check that the diameter is the same all the way to the end. If it is not, then your shaft is worn down and it is time for a new one, you can get the replacement shaft and starting plate from Tower Hobbies.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:25 AM
gerwen

If it's under 2 years old, send it in to duratrax with a description of the problem. You may get lucky. Give duratrax a chance to make you smile.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Grantothismo

I have been using my Rotostart for a year and a half and a pull start on another vehicle and would say that I actually perfer my pullstart to any kind of assisted starter. You have less stuff needed to get your vehicle started and if your car is tuned right they will start by the second or third pull. I love the fact that if it does flame out, all I need is a glow ignitor and I am back running, with the rotostart I have to carry that starter with me, get it into the slot start to crank can be kinda a pain if you need to get started quickly.

Either choice is fine, just what would you like on your vehicle?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Jimmmaaa

This is the almost the same thing I did with my st- 15. The pullstart broke and there was a problem with the spring.. I could wind it back up but i couldnt get the edge of it into the little slot in the housing,and I didnt feel like waiting for another pullstart from tower for an engine that gave me previous problems and just wasnt that good, so I got the OS .18 form my lhs. Definately a great engine. It is faster and has a lot more torque that the dtx .18 ( my dad has an evader and I killed him in a drag race). I say go for it and its pretty cheap.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:13 PM
snowball1288

so i pulled the pullstart off my engine, the shaft looks good. I played around a little with it, was about to remove the string, but in teh process the spring flew off so now i have a big wire ribbon coil on my floor and i cant get it back inside. grrrr i was hoping for a no/low cost solution here!! Id rather not buy another pullstart, so how can i get that spring back on?
Old 05-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Shmeal

alot of effort.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:52 PM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

My spring came off too. just spent an hour$%#&ing with it has anyone actually put the spring back on successfully. I live in Hawaii, so it'll take a week to get my pull start. In the meantime my son's rustler with it's crappy suspension keeps going. never had a problem but I love beating him in the rough stuff as my evader absorbs bumbs and jumps while he bounces all over the place. Our Hobbies shop does't carry $#@% for parts.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:15 PM
yoster

get a yank eliminator and be done with it

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSN77&P=7[/link]
Old 06-19-2005, 09:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

or just DON'T PULL THE DAMN PULLSTARTER ALL THE WAY OUT.
I haven't broken a p/s in YEARS.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:25 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

or just DON'T PULL THE DAMN PULLSTARTER ALL THE WAY OUT.
I haven't broken a p/s in YEARS.

Once again I agree with you ThunderbirdjJunkie. I have run pull starters for over 5 years on 5 different engines and I have not had a problem. I think it is that some just do not know how to work them. O I do have a small problem with my pull starter on my HPI .15 SS if I pull it out a little to far it will stick and I have to tap it with something to get it to go back in. Really not a problem.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

46u, you're REALLY starting to scare me now, lol