Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Normal Operating temps for o.s. .18 cv-rx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here
View Poll Results: A poll
180-200 °F
6.25%
200-220
12.50%
220-250
43.75%
250-270
25.00%
270+
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Normal Operating temps for o.s. .18 cv-rx

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:09 PM
RC Prodigy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Operating temps for o.s. .18 cv-rx

What are the best operating temps on a (fairly) dry day and about 80-90 °F outside conditions? And also, every time I cut my engine off and let it sit, should I put it at BDC? I have already broken it in.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Skullbasher

Default RE: Normal Operating temps for o.s. .18 cv-rx

And yes, you always want to put your engine at bottom dead center after a run. even if it is going to sit for a minute or two. Even after you have broken it in.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:42 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RC Prodigy

What are the best operating temps on a (fairly) dry day and about 80-90 °F outside conditions? And also, every time I cut my engine off and let it sit, should I put it at BDC? I have already broken it in.

Mine both run at around 210-220 tops with wot long runs and in about those same outside temps or higher, your piston will almost always stop itself at bdc since it's tapered but you should check if it's there just feel for the copression bleeding off and its fine.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Skullbasher

ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: RC Prodigy

Mine both run at around 210-220 tops with wot long runs and in about those same outside temps or higher, your piston will almost always stop itself at bdc since it's tapered but you should check if it's there just feel for the copression bleeding off and its fine.
Actually quite the opposite. When the engine stops, it is almost always at TDC. Because it is tapered..
Old 06-24-2005, 07:08 PM
yoster

I don't know if its similar or not, but my .18 in my Evader (the DTX by OS one) only runs good when its at 245-255. Had it professionally tuned too.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:11 AM
ChriX

I'm usually between 250 and 270 when it's running good. O.S. said as long as you have a good tune and are between 200 and 300 then you shouldn't be doing any damage, i've been looking at one of those nova race heads for it though.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:18 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Here's what OS Say's about engine temps.... It's right off their website.

What temperature is ideal for my engine?
It's not possible for us to give you an actual temperature or temperature range for your engine. The specific temperature is determined by too many factors. There is only one way to determine at what temperature your engine should be run - get it running just how you like it, then find out what temperature the engine reaches.

Make sure your engine is operating properly and providing the performance you expect. Be sure you are not overly lean and shortening your engine's lifespan. Use the exact setup every time...fuel, exhaust system, plug, measurement location, and so forth. If you change anything, the temperature will change. Once you have the engine running the way you want it, take your measurement. You will have to take measurements over time to find out how the weather affects it. As the air temperature and humidity change from day-to-day, the operating temperature will change. Eventually, you'll find a temperature range that you can use.

Engine temperature is not an absolute number for setting your engine. It is only a guide, and can help alert you to potential problems. The only sure way to make sure your engine is running correctly is to see how it's running. An engine can be operating at "correct" temperatures, but not running well, or seem to be running "hot" or "cold" yet is performing flawlessly.

Finally, use any temperatures you read about, or people tell you, as rough information. The only useful numbers are the ones you actually measure when your engine is running correctly. If your engine is running correctly, then what you measure is correct, even if some else says it's too high or too low. Don't worry about the differences. Each engine is in a unique installation with a unique set of circumstances, so there can be wide variances in engine temperature.