Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

engine loudness plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:43 AM
chrisbcrunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine loudness plz help

hi i was wondering is smaller the engine like .15 stead of .18 make the engine less noisy? i want to go nitro but i dont want it to be so loud is smaller the engine the less noisy?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:15 AM
BugattiFreak

Default RE: engine loudness plz help

first of all, small engines with good power run at higher RPM's which will just make it louder. my suggestion, get an electric, but if you want to stick with gas, just run it between 12 and dark, if people start complaining, ignor them, you have the right to run you car, who cares how pissed off people get, the cops wont right you a ticket for being to loud, especialy if your riding your car in a park, which is by a major street, or semi-major street.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Skullbasher

Most .12 will tend to be quiter than a .18 would. I know my .18 is much louder than both my other .15s have been.
Truthfully, I asked the same question before I got into nitro. I ended up saying "Who cares..." and now my neihbors usually come out and watch me when they hear my truck start up.
My uncles MT2 is the quitest truck I have ever heard(other than my 18T). I don't know what makes it so quite, maybe it's the pipe. Plastic pipes will tend to make your truck alot quiter.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:49 PM
yoster

ORIGINAL: BugattiFreak

first of all, small engines with good power run at higher RPM's which will just make it louder. my suggestion, get an electric, but if you want to stick with gas, just run it between 12 and dark, if people start complaining, ignor them, you have the right to run you car, who cares how pissed off people get, the cops wont right you a ticket for being to loud, especialy if your riding your car in a park, which is by a major street, or semi-major street.
True, but it is still always good to respect your neighbors. The guy down the street rides his choper back and forth all day... its so loud you can't even hear the TV.. tho i know our nitro's don't even hold a candle to that.

One thing i did that made it a *little* quieter.. is i added an exhaust deflector. Could definately hear a drop in db's. But really, they arn't that loud. Some of those .26 and .27's are, but the small block motors arn't that bad. Only time i can really hear the guys' down the street is when he drives it up on his driveway and the sound reflects off his garage door. Even then it isn't loud.. he's running some monster truck.. i didnt recognize the truck or the radio... it looks like one of those smartech deals.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:16 PM
BugattiFreak

usualy, if you live in the suburbs of southern cali, all the land has construction on it, and there are no places within at least a mile to run your car. even then, when me and my brother find what we consider a "good place", there is usualy one or two good jumps, thats it.... any live in southern cali? above san diego but below los angles?
Old 06-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Skullbasher

any live in southern cali? above san diego but below los angles?
Accually yes... Not too far away from you, Carlsbad.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:49 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I live on the central coast...

for engine loudness, they kinda sound like a gas weedwhacker, only louder and more high pitch. I should try that exausht deflector tip...
Old 06-26-2005, 02:33 AM
yoster

ORIGINAL: Skullbasher

any live in southern cali? above san diego but below los angles?
Accually yes... Not too far away from you, Carlsbad.
me too for awhile.. between my move from sacramento to fresno. Its easy to find places not in front of your house... its called the local park. Tho i still tune my car in the front yard for convenience sake. But most of the time ill go to the park and bring my portable duratrax jumps and cones and set myself up a little track in the dirt baseball diamond. If i dont have to work for the whole day i'll go to the lake with it.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

the only time my neighbors really ***** is when i fire up my 1/8 buggy. and even then they dont really care.
but then again, the retard next door with his Mustang will fire up his car, rev it for about 5 minutes straight, and then shut it off.
he DID stop doin that after I laid into his car with my t-bird on the 4 lane road by my house though [&:]
Old 06-26-2005, 06:37 PM
87goldtub_rc10

I am going to create a silencer somehow, maybe 3 or 4 chambers and steel wool as a sound absorbent. If it could just cancel out the sharp tones it would do wonders. It would have to create no backpressure at all and attach to the existing pipe. I'm surprised no one offers such a device.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:38 PM
brownstone101

a light peace of steal wool might work + the defelotor might tame the noise cause lets admit it nitros are loud so may steal wool might work
Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: 87goldtub_rc10

I am going to create a silencer somehow, maybe 3 or 4 chambers and steel wool as a sound absorbent. If it could just cancel out the sharp tones it would do wonders. It would have to create no backpressure at all and attach to the existing pipe. I'm surprised no one offers such a device.
that'd be incredibly inefficient, it would leech power, and even worse, your engine would run hotter than the bowels of Hell during the Summer when Satan left the stove turned on with the door open.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:28 PM
brownstone101

ya thats why a defletor realy tames it down and with a good pipe its perfect but i dont care if nabers get mad dosnt matter to me
Old 06-26-2005, 10:15 PM
IBrakeForNobody

ya thats why a defletor realy tames it down and with a good pipe its perfect but i dont care if nabers get mad dosnt matter to me
I just bought a deflector and haven't ran it yet...my question is, will I have to retune to compensate for the additional backpressure?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Jamxx

And my noob-ness comes out... What exactly is a deflector?

Hah, all of my neighbors are so fascinated by my truck so it doesn't really matter. One of them asked me one time, "Does it exceed the pollution standards?" I told him I didn't know but I didn't think it would be that bad since there is only ONE in my neighborhood... [:'(] I haven't even seen anyone on this forum from Alabama yet. Sad... No one to race with... []
Old 06-26-2005, 10:34 PM
87goldtub_rc10

You can make a "muffler" of sorts and have sound deadening material in it, chambers too, and not effect tuning. Think of a glass pack or straight through muffler on a mustang or camaro, same thing. What I am talking about would be more like a flowmaster with chambers, but the inlet/outlet would be so large that backpressure would be nill.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:37 PM
IBrakeForNobody

And my noob-ness comes out... What exactly is a deflector?
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD635&P=7]Deflector[/link] Everyone should have one...it makes your tire all greasy and stuff. [:'(] Maybe I should point it up...
Old 06-27-2005, 12:16 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: 87goldtub_rc10

You can make a "muffler" of sorts and have sound deadening material in it, chambers too, and not effect tuning. Think of a glass pack or straight through muffler on a mustang or camaro, same thing. What I am talking about would be more like a flowmaster with chambers, but the inlet/outlet would be so large that backpressure would be nill.
UH-HUH...you DO, of course, realize that two stroke chambers are shaped and sized the way they are for a reason correct?
if you just go packing steel wool in there...you're NOT gonna see anything but a drop in performance along with the drop in noise.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:11 PM
killer89
My Feedback: (-1)

bugattifreak: i live in San Juan Capistrano.... thats like 15 minutes away from you...