RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

New to r/c..first nitro car

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
ktreezy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to r/c..first nitro car

Hi all, Im 100% new to nitro rc. I had been running electric but I saw my neighbor using his "Jato"...or something like that, and I was completely into it. I have very little money to use right now, but he said he would sell me his used "Duratrax Maximum ST" for 80 bucks. He fired it up for me, it seemed pretty good, and hes giving me all the things to play with it like some fuel and the glow thingy. Anyways, I bought it (now i got like 15 bucks left) but I want to make it go faster. Im pretty sure i can sell my electric car for over 150, so i should have good money to use then. My question is....whats an engine that is better then the one i got ( i think its a .16 torque) that will fit directly into the car. I dont want to have to re-fit anything. IS it hard to install a new motor?

Thanks..
Kumar[:-]
Old 06-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Kemo

Default RE: New to r/c..first nitro car

Oh you have a truck that is extremely ez to hop up. Yeah it has a torq engine in it. There was a time it had a .12, then they were upgraded to the .16. Do you have the PRO st or just the basic version? Any engine is better than what you have now basically. You could probably get an OS .12 CV-RX to start out with. It should be powerful enough and fast enough for you. www.towerhobbies.com has LOTS of parts, or they had at least. I haven't checked recently.

The OS .12 CV-RX and this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVU70&P=7 Might be good enough for you to keep up with him. Although the Maximum series is extinct, its still a strong truck.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 PM
ktreezy
Banned

thanks for the advice..i was just running my car about 30 minutes ago. it seems like it cant get thru a full tank of gas without it stopping. i may get 5-8 minutes out of it then..its stops and i have to let it cool before i play with it some more. is there a way to fix this? or is it supposed to be like that?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Unbreakable207
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds to me like your engine is dying once it heats up enough. Meaning, your piston and sleeve are basically shot, AKA your engine is dieing.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Kemo

Sounds like you get to do an upgrade pretty soon
Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Tricksligger

I had a max st andI put a Os.18 in it. With the 2speed it was faster than the Jato[X(]
Old 06-27-2005, 10:49 PM
killer89
My Feedback: (-1)

sounds like a worn out piston and sleeve...

check by doing this:

start the car up and run it around for a little while. When it shuts down like you say it does after some time, immediately turn the flywheel over a couple of times. You should feel some resistance. If you feel little or no resistance at all, your piston and sleeve set is worn and you either need to replace it, have it pinched, or buy a whole new engine.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:03 AM
ktreezy
Banned

ok...if i get the piston/sleeve replaced....will that fix the problem?..i knw that is a 45-75 dollar fix, but i dont really want a new engine at this point anymore...so by replacing the pisto/sleeve will it be ok for awhile?...oh yea, where can i get a piston/sleeve that works in the .16 torq engine>?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 PM
DaytonaTurbo87

Hey I've got a maximum st too. But mine came with the old torq .12, lol, and it had no compression left, even when cold. I dropped in the .21 big block out of a savage. Not exactly a direct drop in, but the fabrication needed was minimal. I had to drill new holes in the chassis for the engine mount, and make my own servo system, and mod the exhaust a bit. Not hard at all, but took some time. I also swapped over to a 2 speed trans setup. Fast, fun and cheap. Spent $80 for the truck(used), then the engine and a few odds and ends.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM
yoster

the .18 dtx in my evader was doing a similar thing. I personally do not think it is a piston/sleeve issue.. as 5-8 minutes is a long time.. usually it will heat up and stop before that. What mine ended up being was my low speed needle needing some adjustment. Even now, when its hot and i have to start it again, i gotta give it one half to full throttle.. just the nature of that engine. After she fires up it runs great through the whole tank. So if it dies again, do what they say, if you have some compression have someone gun the engine and you try and start it. If it starts, have the person let off the throttle, then floor it a few quick times to clear out the engine... see if that works.