RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Another Supercharger Q???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 08:18 PM
sho_shane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Supercharger Q???

I have read a bit on superchargers for RC cars/Trucks and I know that some ppl dont like them. But I think there cool and would like to have one for my Team Losi XXX-NT Sport. So what I wanted to know, Is there a supercharger kit for my .15 Mack motor or is there a kit for a motor that will swap on to my truck? Thanks for any help
Old 07-04-2005, 06:36 AM
cossie

Default RE: Another Supercharger Q???

well you buy one and your wasting money and fuel as they dont work END OF STORY.[:@]
Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 AM
cameorn

ummmm superchargers dont work anyways their stupid if i where u i would get a tuned pipe with a nice header not a supercharger
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
gerwen

http://rbinnovations.com/catalog/pro...products_id/38

That should fit. If you're doing it for the coolness factor, go wild. Otherwise your $160 is probably better spent on an OS .18 cvr and a nice tuned pipe. You'll get waaay more power from that than any supercharger on a Mach .15
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
ncgrunt

Just realize that if you're looking for performace increases, you will only get a very little (if any) additional. Also realize that they're expensive- I don't think I've seen one for under $150.

If you want on to get additional power, you'd be much better off just getting a better engine. If you just want it for the "cool" factor, have fun.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Bryank930
My Feedback: (2)

3 words......WASTE OF MONEY
Old 07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: gerwen

That should fit. If you're doing it for the coolness factor, go wild. Otherwise your $160 is probably better spent on an OS .18 cvr and a nice tuned pipe. You'll get waaay more power from that than any supercharger on a Mach .15

This Link should be removed by RC Universe cause it's fraud. Superchargers DO NOT WORK on little nitro engines and THERE IS 0 PROOF THEY DO. Has anyone seen 1 Dyno Test? NO Why? Cause they don't add 0 power so it's a scam to get your money plain and simple and the punk starting these threads is a scammer.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:52 PM
sho_shane

ORIGINAL: badz

This Link should be removed by RC Universe cause it's fraud. Superchargers DO NOT WORK on little nitro engines and THERE IS 0 PROOF THEY DO. Has anyone seen 1 Dyno Test? NO Why? Cause they don't add 0 power so it's a scam to get your money plain and simple and the punk starting these threads is a scammer.
Dude im new but I can tell you that you need to calm your a** down and take your Zanax
Old 07-04-2005, 06:54 PM
monsterpede360

how much horsepower does it give and what engines does it fit
Old 07-04-2005, 07:16 PM
cossie

you dont get any horsepower increase, there in no point in having 1. END OF STORY[:@]
Old 07-04-2005, 07:24 PM
ncgrunt

Not completely accurate. I would expect it to provide a slight power boost since it should provide a near 100% charge in the cylinder at every stroke, whereas a non-supercharged engine is going to lose some out the exhaust (except for the specific RPM when your tuned pipe hits 100% efficiency).

However it definetly does not work as well as people are led to believe, and it is definetly not worth $150+.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:27 PM
cameorn

ya they dont work dont buy one i can save alittle more and get a new motor [>:]
Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 PM
DaytonaTurbo87

lol, those superchargers are such a load!!! Even if you do get the advertised 15-27% power boost, you'll get much more than that if you spend that money on a new engine. lol, and anyone who falls for that bull obviously does not know how a real supercharger or turbocharger works. So let me inform you. A supercharger uses up some engine HP to turn itself and create power, so the HP gains are not free. A forced induction system(aka turbo/supercharger) compresses the air, that's why turbo cars have boost gauges that read in PSI. I'll never believe that a little pos thing for an r/c will ever put out any pressure. But even if it does, let's say that it actually builds 1psi of boost. Well how do regular r/c engines deliver the fuel? The engine partly sucks it in, and the little bit of pressure that builds up in the fuel tank also helps push the fuel to the engine. Now if you have any kind of air pressure(boost) at the carb, that boost would just push the fuel backwards down the fuel line and back towards the tank, so how could the engine suck in it's own fuel if it's pushing it the wrong way down the fuel line? But if you were to also use the supercharger to pressurize the tank so the fuel would not get pushed back to the tank it might work, but all the pressure the supercharger could put out would probably be used up in trying in vein to put a little more pressure into the tank. And any extra pressure in the tank would just leak out the cap or back out the exhaust.

And your r/c engine was designed to operate in a certain way, they use pulses of the engine to draw in air and force out exhaust. Using a forced induction system could easily throw off the way an engine is supposed to work. Also, two stroke engines are very finicky things, they like things just right, they can't run with problems, where a four stroke may be able to. All in all, if you actually **know** turbos and superchargers, you'll know why these types of systems are bogus.

For most people, making sure your carb is tuned properly and your compression is good will make way more difference than one of these things will!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:43 PM
monsterpede360

so what other mods can you do to a nitro rc
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 PM
DaytonaTurbo87

ORIGINAL: monsterpede360

so what other mods can you do to a nitro rc
Good tuned pipe, high flowing or at least a decent air intake/filter(not sure if that'll do much, prolly not noticeable), different sized clutch bell/spur for more top or bottom end, change to a 2 speed if you don't already have. But the upgrade you will notice the most is a better engine. It's gonna be new with full compression, and there are some really decent engines out there for the price. And converting in a new engine to fit ain't that hard.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
monsterpede360

has anyone heared of a big bore kit for a traxxas 2.5r engine
Old 07-04-2005, 10:07 PM
sho_shane

Ok if you guys are right then can I put a BB Motor on my XXX-NT Sport if so which ones will fit and if not why?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:00 AM
cossie

ORIGINAL: ncgrunt

Not completely accurate. I would expect it to provide a slight power boost since it should provide a near 100% charge in the cylinder at every stroke, whereas a non-supercharged engine is going to lose some out the exhaust (except for the specific RPM when your tuned pipe hits 100% efficiency).

However it definetly does not work as well as people are led to believe, and it is definetly not worth $150+.
no you dont get anykind of power increase because the fuel intake and exhaust port are open at the same time so all that extra fuel beign thrown in by the supercharger goes right through, making your engine run rich
Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 AM
gerwen

Actually, i've seen a dyno test in a reputable magazine (Xtreme RC Cars iirc)
The results weren't breathtaking, but it actually did improve the engine's torque and hp. Is the improvement worth $160? Not to me. But that doesn't mean it's not worth it to everyone.
If i actually cared enough to absolutely prove you wrong, i'd go scan the article to show you. Unfortunately for you, though, you're only worth the 5 mins it takes me to write this. You get to keep the blinders on.

Really though, read the original post. He wasn't asking if they worked. He was asking where to find them. You're clearly going overboard answering a question that wasn't asked.

On Superchargers:
Having both a good grasp of science, and a good understanding of how both 2 and 4 stroke engines work, i can understand how a supercharger could work on a 2 stroke with a tuned pipe. If anyone wants a lesson, pipe up. I suspect that nobody's actually listening to the argument anymore so i'd be wasting my breath.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:57 AM
cameorn

no their is so way to do it its not plossible. And im gunna solve this problem right here

A two-stroke in its purest form is extremely simple in construction and operation, as it only has three primary moving parts (the piston, connecting rod, and crankshaft). However, the two-stroke cycle can be difficult for some to visualize at first because certain phases of the cycle occur simultaneously, causing it to be hard to tell when one part of the cycle ends and another begins.The easiest way to visualize two-stroke operation is to follow the flow of gases through the engine starting at the air inlet. In this case, the cycle would begin at approximately mid-stroke when the piston is rising, and has covered the transfer port openings:

As the piston moves upward, a vacuum is created beneath the piston in the enclosed volume of the crankcase. Air flows through the reed valve and carburetor to fill the vacuum created in the crankcase. For the purposes of discussion, the intake phase is completed when the piston reaches the top of the stroke (in reality, mixture continues to flow into the crankcase even when the piston is on its way back down due to the inertia of the fuel mixture, especially at high RPM):

During the down stroke, the falling piston creates a positive pressure in the crankcase which causes the reed valve to close. The mixture in the crankcase is compressed until the piston uncovers the transfer port openings, at which point the mixture flows up into the cylinder. The engine depicted here is known as a loop-scavenged two-stroke because the incoming mixture describes a circular path . What is not readily apparent in the picture is that the primary portion of the mixture is directed toward the cylinder wall opposite the exhaust port (this reduces the amount of mixture that escapes out the open exhaust port, also known as short-circuiting):

This pulse is timed to reach the exhaust port after the transfer ports close, but before the exhaust port closes. The returning compression wave pushes the mixture drawn into the header by the negative pressure wave back into the cylinder, thus supercharging (a bigger charge than normal) the engine. The straight section of pipe between the two cones exists to ensure that the positive waves reaches the exhaust port at the correct time. thus the only way to create any type of so called supercharging on a simple 2 stroke engine is buy getting a tuned pipe. A supercharger would simply draw more into the crank case by the air wouls simply paypass straight out the exhaust port. and creat a amount of pressure in your crankcase that could possibly be harmful to your engine
Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: DaytonaTurbo87

Well how do regular r/c engines deliver the fuel? The engine partly sucks it in, and the little bit of pressure that builds up in the fuel tank also helps push the fuel to the engine. Now if you have any kind of air pressure(boost) at the carb, that boost would just push the fuel backwards down the fuel line and back towards the tank, so how could the engine suck in it's own fuel if it's pushing it the wrong way down the fuel line? But if you were to also use the supercharger to pressurize the tank so the fuel would not get pushed back to the tank it might work, but all the pressure the supercharger could put out would probably be used up in trying in vein to put a little more pressure into the tank. And any extra pressure in the tank would just leak out the cap or back out the exhaust.
This whole paragraph is just plain wrong. Maybe you know how a supercharger works, but you don't know how a carburetor works.

A carb relies on something called the Bernoulli effect. The Bernoulli effect is also the main reason why airplanes can fly.
"For horizontal fluid flow, an increase in the velocity of flow will result in a decrease in the static pressure."

Air drawn or forced through the carb, goes through a venturi which basically causes the air to speed up, which decreases the pressure. A small valve is in the middle of the venturi to supply fuel. Low pressure in the venturi draws fuel into the flow of air from the valve.

Any increase in flow through the carb will only increase the amount of fuel drawn in the venturi, not the opposite as you claim.

The fuel tanks on our vehicles are already pressurised, so using the supercharger to pressurize the tank would be redundant.

I believe that these 'superchargers' are electric, so they don't drain engine hp to provide boost.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:08 AM
cameorn

if u read my thing about 2 strokes u will know its not possible and i think i may by wrong but i think these things are belt driven i think they go on your flywheel and if im right these motor dont have alot of turqe so it will lose HP
Old 07-05-2005, 09:18 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: cameorn
A supercharger would simply draw more into the crank case by the air wouls simply paypass straight out the exhaust port.
I agree with you. Your understanding of 2 strokes is sound.
The reason that superchargers can work, is that this extra fuel air mixture that has bypassed straight out the exhaust port is sitting there waiting to be scavenged as the pressure wave comes back up the tuned pipe. Unless the tuned pipe was already perfect (only scavenging a perfect fuel/air mix, it would provide 'more' fuel/air to the combustion chamber. This will not work without a tuned pipe.

Is it efficient? Doubtful. It would be a fuel waster for sure. Will it provide the 30% power gains? Also doubtful. (but how much truth is there in any advertising)
Could it actually provide extra power? Yes.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Nitroaddict

Please refrain from bashing other member's ideas. The original poster said he had heard they didn't work but wanted one anyways.

He asked if they would work on the engine he has, he did not ask several members to tell him how much they think they don't work.

I am locking this thread. If the poster wishes to ask the question again, he can feel free to post a new thread.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:34 AM
cameorn

ok sorry i just wanted to make sure that everybody had a clear understandin on how a simple 2 stroked worked. wut wut he said was partly true the gain would be minamul it would be better to get a new motor thanks have fun