Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Traxxas 2.5 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:51 PM
BugattiFreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas 2.5 engine problems

ok. first of all, i dont want any crap posted about how much the engine sucks, i dont care ok, i like it, please, only advise. for those that are reading this, sorry if i sounded so harsh, but this problem is realy frustrating. i have a jato, and i have put on a very nice after market filter, and it runs fine. here is the problem, i was running it up and down my street right after i instaled the pull start, and about half way through the first gas tank, my car died, it was a tad bit of flooding, but no real problem. but i couldnt start it up right away, i waited 10 minutes, and it started up ok, but i still had to crank it about 8 times. i cut the fuel line a lot, because the old one looked to long, and deminished response time. whats wrong? please please please HELP!!!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Traxxas 2.5 engine problems

Heat or a poor tune on it....has been in the 100's here in utah not sure if you cali folks having this heat or not but it can play havoc on tuning sometimes, also after adding a air filter that allows more air you'll need to re-tune it since the air mixture changed...As far as 2.5 engine goes I never have many problems with them and they sure are snappy motors and hold up well unless they are poorly tuned or using a poor grade nitro or glow plug.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 PM
InfinitySpeed04

yeah the problem with the start up could always be the glow plug. I had my car for a little while and It took me almost 15 minutes to crank it up and get it going. I replaced the glow plug and it started on my 2nd pull. Just replace the glow plug and if that doesnt work just try tuning like the guy above me said. Also after a few tanks you should let it cool down so that the heat doesnt affect the engine.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
rushdude

A properly tuned motor will start with only one pull. To test the glow plug:
When you start the car with the glo-warmer on it pay attention to the rpm's while you take it off. If you rpm's stay the same when you take it off as when it was on than your glow plug is good. If not you need a new one.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:44 PM
BugattiFreak

ok, first of all, im not a first timer with nitros, i have tuned it, its tuned fine, otherwise it wouldnt get into 2ed gear at full speed. and i have tested the glow plug, it works, ssince i have a little glow starter, its easy to see, unscrew, make conection, if it glows, it works. this is a real weird problem, i have done all the rutine check ups on the engine, its not tuning or n e thing that simple. HELP!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Skullbasher

I would not be at all suprised if you got a leak in the engine bearings. That is what happened to my TRX2.5s as well as many other peoples. One guy went through eight TRX 2.5s and every single one of them got a leaky bearing. This would account for the hard starting and cutting out. Try checking your temps next time you run and see if it starts to overheat. My other guesses would be low compression/pinch or a leak somewhere else(IE fuel line, carb, backplate, etc..). Lets hope none of those are your problems since they are all a pain in the ass...
Old 09-21-2005, 06:36 AM
psychotek502

BugattiFreak,

From what you are describing I am getting the same issue with my TMaxx 2.5. I have done pretty much everything you have done. I did a tear down of the head and gasket and checked there. No leaks or anything of that nature. I have heard on other forums that the Gaskets on the Carb have been known to blow out or break and cause internal flooding. This is something that i am going to check today if time permits. To be honest this is my last stop with this motor, it ran strong but now it wont run properly and im thinking of just migrating to the 18TM.
Best of luck, if this fixes mine ill post what i did and how and with what

L8rs
Old 09-21-2005, 05:22 PM
rushdude

Just because the plug glows when it is connected to the ignitor doesnt mean that it is good.