RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:27 PM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential

This may sound like a moronic Question, but what exactly does the differential do? In the set up guide it tells you to tighten the Diff screw "Snugg" then loosen it off like 1/4 turn..I am asking this Q more so because when I Accel' my truck, it tends to spin the same way everytime. Im not sure why other then one tire is spinning faster. Or I could be way off and have no clue what I am talking about..im leaning more towards the second answer thus why I am asking such a silly Q. Just so I am clear, the Diff Screw is the one on the right side of the truck (Nitro Evader ST) Behind the CV Shaft.
Thanx
Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM
avg_joe

Default RE: Differential

I run RC10gt, but I still may have your evader answer. The diff allows one wheel to spin faster than the other wheel for handling reasons. If both rears were spinning at the same rate, and you turn, either one(or both, due to diminished traction from one) tire would lose traction causing oversteer, or neither rear tire would lose traction, and you would run right into whatever you were trying to steer around(technical term-push, or understeer).
As for the reason one tire spins more...It could be chassis tweak, shocks that aren't exactly built the same, uneven weight distribution on the chassis, camber settings, or even front toe settings. Prob. other reasons that I couldn't come up with as well.
The trick is to strike a happy medieum between diff action for handling, and traction distribution, and the only way to find it is to experiment with settings. Try tightening up the diff screw a little bit(small adjustments)(maybe only back it out 3/16 instead of 1/4) and see what that does for you. You prob don't want tighten too much, as you will spin out every time you try to turn with the throttle open, and you will wear grooves in the diff rings, and need to rebuild more often.
I hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:21 PM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

Thats exactly what I needed to hear. I figured that the issue may have more to do with uneven toe in or Camber and so on. Thats a tough thing to eyeball both sides evenly so I guess my next purchase will be the tool that measures all of that.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

You can get your toe and camber angles all setup really well just using a string in conjunction with a ruler for taking measurements, and using a wall/floor or something else that has two planes meeting at a 90 degree angle for the camber setting. the camber and toe tools I've seen all offer little advantage over a string and a ruler. Just my $.02
Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: D0G

Just so I am clear, the Diff Screw is the one on the right side of the truck (Nitro Evader ST) Behind the CV Shaft.
Thanx
That's the one, passenger side outdrive.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:24 PM
avg_joe

For my toe guage, I use elastic string with an alligator clip one one end and a loop on the other. Hook the loop on something, stretch the elastic string across the middle of all 4 tires, and clip something.(I use rear body mounts for loop and back bumper for clip) And just like tommythecat said, I use a carpenters speed square and a metal ruler. I just had a thought...A person could use a small C clamp and clamp the metal ruler to the square for some precise setting. Now if only there wasn't so much slop in the ball cups, it would all make a big difference.