Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Good Race ready drop in Engine for the Rusty

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Good Race ready drop in Engine for the Rusty

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Race ready drop in Engine for the Rusty

Could you guys please post some links to RACE legal engines for the Rusty. That would be great, thanx..Ive been looking but may be in alittle over my head when it comes to actually picking one out..lol
Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Snipin_Willy

Default RE: Good Race ready drop in Engine for the Rusty

Any 3-port, .12 size engine. The rusty is a bit heavier than other st's so something with more go to it than a CV series engine might be on your list. OS CV-R is always a good choice, Fantom fr12 (I love mine), Orion Wasp .12 (rear exhaust port), nova rossi (not very affordable), RB concepts has nice engine. Tower will sell the OS and Orion engines.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:18 AM
D0G

Thank you, I dont actualy have the truck yet but I am just pricing out Engines, so I have no idea how the Rustler will handle or anything. I believe I will need a spur gear and clutch bell to. Where I seem to be running into confusion for myself, is the length of the Shaft where you would put the clutch bell ( cant think of the damn name...lol) Some seem to be like an inch and a half, and others are just half inch.

This may start a thread war, but whats the major difference between Slide and Rotary carbs? Besides one slides and one rotates..
Is there a Throttle response difference?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: D0G

This may start a thread war, but whats the major difference between Slide and Rotary carbs? Besides one slides and one rotates..
Is there a Throttle response difference?

Yup one slides and one rotates...on these little Nitro's it doesn't matter...these engines are far from efficent for that to matter.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Snipin_Willy

The crankshafts come in a few standard length. The long threaded, short threaded, and pilot (I think it's also know as an SG). The rustler uses the short threaded crankshaft. If you end up buying a long threaded, you can use a dremel with a cutting disc to make it the correct length (but I wouldn't recommend it, it's easier just to buy an engine with a short crank in it).
Just because of how the truck was designed, you wont be able to use a long threaded crank (it wont fit), and the pilot crank is nothing like a standard threaded crank. So when and if you do buy and engine, make sure you are getting it with a short crankshaft in it.

As for carberators. There aren't BIG differences, but they do act a little different. I perfer the slide carb, but sometimes it requires you to buy a throttle linkage set for it to work right. Depending on what engine the truck has/had before the new engine, you might want to look into it before dishing out for an engine. If the rusty has the trx 2.5 in it, you can drop in an engine with a slide carb with little or no issues (the trx 2.5 has a slide carb).
Old 08-11-2005, 10:59 AM
D0G

Thats what i thought about the carbs, preferance
So would this be an ok Engine?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA45&P=0

Im basically looking for a basher engine for a decent $$$$ with hopes of maybe moving into racing, so if I am going to get a new engine I may as well get a race legal one. racing isnt HUGE where I am...theres only about 40 members in a city of just over a million, so im not to worried about having the best RACE engine..lol..
Old 08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Snipin_Willy

That one has the long threaded crank. If you want that one, you'll either need to cut the crankshaft or buy: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWY00&P=Z

Here is the same engine, but has a rotary carb: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA43&P=0
and if you go with this engine and you want a slide carb: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARU1&P=7

by price it's better to buy the one you listed and either buy another crank, or cut the one you get with it (just don't cut it too short)