RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

first hobby/nitro rc

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:07 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first hobby/nitro rc

i finally have one! just got it from the ups driver. i traded my amp to my brother whose in FL for a rc10gt. i must say, he got the better deal, but i wanted to get in this hobby so badly and my xmod just isnt doing it all for me, so i'm happy.

looks like it was found in a ditch somewhere. full of sand and rusted axles and missing screws all over the place. i need to talk to him about taking care of things a little better. anyways, only thing it needs to run and drive is a clutch, igniter, and fuel. i'll be at the hobby store this weekend to pick them up.

he replaced the motor with a .15cv-x os max motor. said he hasn't even ran a half a gallon through the entire car including the stock motor. just out of curousity(sp?), can somebody tell me anything about this motor and how it stacks up to others and anything else you can think of to make this thing fun and long lasting for me.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:14 PM
*_Torque_*

Default RE: first hobby/nitro rc

well dont forget you must break the car in through the first five tanks.. if I were you I would use 20% nitro... its not to bad of a motor but Ive heard mixed views so I guess its just how you take care of it... well congrats and have fun[8D]
Old 08-18-2005, 08:56 PM
jkulhanek

I would recommend getting an instruction manual for it, and COMPLETELY stripping it down to parts, clean all the parts, and replace anything that looks beyond repair, check all bearings. Take off the backplate of the engine, by removing the pullstart, then taking off the backplate, what you are looking for is RUST on the crankshaft or bearings. If there is rust on the crank, you will need to replace it. If the bearings are rusted, they are toast too. For the rebuild you can get away with leaving the engine on the chassis....

Once you have cleaned and rebuilt, you will have a near-new car! You won't regret doing a rebuild!

A side note on the O.S. CV-x engines. These engines are great, reliable, tough as old boots, easy to tune and they hold a tune well! The power output is great for the price of the engine.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:02 PM
jkulhanek

I would recommend getting an instruction manual for it, and COMPLETELY stripping it down to parts, clean all the parts, and replace anything that looks beyond repair, check all bearings. Take off the backplate of the engine, by removing the pullstart, then taking off the backplate, what you are looking for is RUST on the crankshaft or bearings. If there is rust on the crank, you will need to replace it. If the bearings are rusted, they are toast too. For the rebuild you can get away with leaving the engine on the chassis....

Once you have cleaned and rebuilt, you will have a near-new car! You won't regret doing a rebuild!

A side note on the O.S. CV-x engines. These engines are great, reliable, tough as old boots, easy to tune and they hold a tune well! The power output is great for the price of the engine.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:57 PM
InfinitySpeed04

Well hope you like this hobby. Lets just say it you will do more damage to your wallet than the car. This hobby isnt exactly cheap but its one hell of a fun one
Old 08-18-2005, 10:06 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

It is a very reliable, easy to tune but does not have much HP as it only has .68. OS makes great engines. Most engines have between 1 and 1 ½ HP this day and age. Will be a good starter engine if all is OK with it. If you are going to take it apart and clean it get new gaskets and seal the backing plate and where the carb goes in to the block with high temperature oxygen safe RTV. Do not use to much. When you get ready to up grade for about the same money you can get and OS engine with 1.35 HP.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

you traded your amp????

how are you gonna be a rock and roll star? are you going to expect the audience to be very quiet while you play gigs? sheeesh!!!

I personally would've threatened my brother and taken his car

congrats and have fun dude.. this is a cool hobby
Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 PM
InfinitySpeed04

Not the amp, o well. You'll just have to buy another one. A little off topic but what brand of amp and what model? Marshall, Peavey, Other? And what kind of guitar to you have?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 PM
jkulhanek

ORIGINAL: 46u

It is a very reliable, easy to tune but does not have much HP as it only has .68. OS makes great engines. Most engines have between 1 and 1 ½ HP this day and age. Will be a good starter engine if all is OK with it. If you are going to take it apart and clean it get new gaskets and seal the backing plate and where the carb goes in to the block with high temperature oxygen safe RTV. Do not use to much. When you get ready to up grade for about the same money you can get and OS engine with 1.35 HP.
There is rated power, and actual power, i'd like to see these CV series motors put on a dyno and compared to claimed 1.2-1.5hp motors...I think they would be a smidgen closer than you'd think.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 PM
46u

Yes OS has all ways rated their HP very conservatively. Just like there .18 TZ rated at 1.8 and on a dyno was really putting out all most 2.3 HP. So it the .15 CV-X is claimed .68 it might be 1HP. If the.18 CV-RX is claimed 1.35 might be a little over 1.5 HP. So between the two the .5 HP is a lot on these small vehicles. To me that is not real close. [sm=idea.gif]
Old 08-19-2005, 12:09 AM
nitroman111

well i hope that you have fun on you really expencive hobby. on the fuel i woulde go with the 20% fuel from traxxas
Old 08-19-2005, 01:01 AM
46u

Or better yet 20% O’Donnell. Do a search.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

YES, the o'donnell.

stay away from ALL colored fuels. anything that doesn't have a slight yellow tint is only good for starting the grill
Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 AM
46u

I only have one problem with O’Donnell! Being all most clear I have trouble seeing it in my fuel tank and lines. But they’re sure is no other fuel I will run through my engines. I have tried 3 or 4 others and none can hold a candle to O’Donnell. Just wish they sold 30% around here.

All the threads I have seen on this site I think most agree
Old 08-19-2005, 02:10 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

my LHS stocks 30% if you want proof, look at my TRX 2.5 pics
Old 08-19-2005, 02:20 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

my LHS stocks 30% if you want proof, look at my TRX 2.5 pics
I know I asked you how much fuel you ran throgh it before it blew. You never did say.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I got the truck used...so i have no idea

but the blowup was actually caused by a WOT runaway (thanks traxxas TQ3!!!) and winding up inverted in the furthest lane away from me on a busy 4 lane highway. it just sat there and went weeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *stop*

oops[:-]
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

wow, i didn't expect so many responces. thank you everyone. i'm going to tear it all down today to clean and inspect everything. luckly, i have all manuals and the video for the vehical and motor.

the amp i traded was a car amp. it was an avionixx 800.2. worth $200 used on the net, and could probably get $250-300around here if my friends had money.

as far as expensive hobby, i'm entering this hobby as a cheaper one. before, i was into car audio and now i'm in college and can't afford it so i'm getting my feet wet into rc's. i couldn't keep up with buying and building new systems on a regular basis. i did it all from simple ported sub boxes to complex fiberglass boxes and door pods.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:22 AM
ICrashThings

ORIGINAL: tashspop

looks like it was found in a ditch somewhere. full of sand and rusted axles and missing screws all over the place.
Sounds like my GT... [sm=surprised.gif]
Old 08-19-2005, 08:56 AM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: tashspop

the amp i traded was a car amp. it was an avionixx 800.2. worth $200 used on the net, and could probably get $250-300around here if my friends had money.
well, that's ok then..

(I know that hobby is expensive, my co-pilot at work is into the car audio thing, he's got more money into that hobby than I've got into all of my hobbies combined)
Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
InfinitySpeed04

Money, something I wish I had[&o] But o well, just have to keep getting rc car parts on my good looks, lol
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: InfinitySpeed04

Money, something I wish I had[&o] But o well, just have to keep getting rc car parts on my good looks, lol

based on that, I've got an axle nut and body clip that I'll give you
Old 08-19-2005, 01:54 PM
ICrashThings

Money, something I wish I had[&o]
get a job.

if you already have one, stash away money.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
46u

Say all you do is look at yours.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
InfinitySpeed04

No thanks, stratcat, just found the nut I was missing, it was in my driveway where it came off. Took me like and hour to search my driveway but I found it. Going to do some bashing in a little while. And, Icrashthings, I wish I could get a job but being 13 they wont let me have a job[&o] O well just have to go with my looks for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.