RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Rocket boosted rusty on the way

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket boosted rusty on the way

I am almost done building my rocket boosted rustler. I've already seen it done, but so far every version I've seen has had the rockets ignighted manually when starting to roll. I plan to wire this one up so it lights the rockets when I hit full throttle. I am going to light it up with 2 nine volts to save on weight, and i'll rig a simple circuit bridge that will connect when the servo open the throttle all of the way up. I plan to start with 2 a rocket engines, if it doesn't cook (which it shouldn't since I have closed tubes that should just eject the spent rocket engines with the chute charge) I'll try b engines then C, and on up to D, The tubes will hold d's with 1 layer of carboard peeled off of them, which increases the risk of a catastrophic failure, but that is why I plan on working my way up to it. I will get video, but it might be quite a while before I can upload it to my PC because I have no frame grabber...yet

I wouldn't expect a lot of boost from just 2 c rocket engines, but it should get it hauling if I get it near top speed before I light em up.

Now all I need to do is wire it up and test it out.

Check out the pics of it half done.

[link=http://bret.no-ip.com/rocketrusty.htm]http://bret.no-ip.com/rocketrusty.htm[/link]

Old 08-20-2005, 12:15 AM
InfinitySpeed04

Default RE: Rocket boosted rusty on the way

Sounds a little risky to me, but thats what its all about when you test. Well hope everything goes allright and good luck with it.

Rob
Old 08-20-2005, 02:29 AM
kdubbz

i saw a video of somthing familar of this. it went really fast and worked pretty good, had some miss fired but all was good with more rocket. Good luck! Dont burn your self now!
Old 08-20-2005, 07:08 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure you got lots of Moosehead with you when you try it out...you'll need something to stop ya from missing your car ya just tore up.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:11 AM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

what is going to happen when the ejection stage hits and those hot gasses go all over inside your car? you can buy motors that don't have that stage (unless you've got them already)

I'm going to have my brother figure out a way to put his "H" motor on my car, he's geeky that way
Old 08-20-2005, 07:13 AM
badz

LOL barbequed Rustler and damn he may have to waste some Moosehead on the fire.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:26 AM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: badz

LOL barbequed Rustler and damn he may have to waste some Moosehead on the fire.
nah, use the recycled moosehead in his fire extinguisher to put the fire out
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

what is going to happen when the ejection stage hits and those hot gasses go all over inside your car? you can buy motors that don't have that stage (unless you've got them already)
Yes...most model rocket engines have a delay before backfireing to release the parachute (in a actual model rocket). So, it'll either cause the truck to slow down a little bit, or seeing as nitro is flammable and the engine can get too hot...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:53 AM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: IBrakeForNobody

Yes...most model rocket engines have a delay before backfireing to release the parachute (in a actual model rocket). So, it'll either cause the truck to slow down a little bit, or seeing as nitro is flammable and the engine can get too hot...
that's hot gas.. I'm betting on some toasty parts and that tank is going to be nice and melted leaving a nice fireball

hey dude, can you video tape this for us?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 AM
tommythecat

The ends of the tubes are closed and the engines fit in loosely, so the chute charge will just blow the rocket engine out of the tube. I plan to use a small peice of masking tape to keep the engines in the tubes and the ignighters inserted in the engines until I light em, after they are lit they should burn through the masking tape and the thrust should hold them in the tubes.

It will not send any flame or heat into the car at all. I plan to test the tubes off of the vehicle first just to be sure, but I've built enough rockets to know what these ejection charges do, so I am about 99% sure there will be no issue, and I know there is absolutely no way it can ignite the tank or melt anything more that the rear skid. There is no way it will cook the rusty. The only way I might have issues is if one of the d engines fails catastrophically, but I wouldn't expect more than a blown engine tube and a scorched rear skid plate if that happens.

My biggest concern is that it may all be just a waste because 2 d engines may not produce enough thrust to make it worth all of the work, but if that turns out to be a problem, I will just take it out at night and get it on film, even if it doesn.t make it run much faster it will look awesome on film at night.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:29 AM
thestratcat

dag gummit, I wanted a video with explosions [X(]

sounds like you've got a plan man.. seems to me that the double D's should have a bunch of thrust... you'll get some power gain there.. I don't remember all the numbers (my rocketry career was short yet very painful) but it'll be cool to see..
Old 08-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Bri6791

To make it even more interesting, why don't you get a friend to drive a car they don't want anymore behind yours. [>:][8D]
Old 08-20-2005, 08:59 PM
tommythecat

It works great. I ran it with a and b engines. Not quite the kick I expected, but the system functioned perfectly, lit em burnt em and ejected them. I expect more boost from c and d's , but I won't know until I get a chance to try em.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
InfinitySpeed04

Hahahaha, double d's Nevermind, joke to myself! Unless of course you know what I am talking about!

Rob
Old 08-20-2005, 10:50 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: InfinitySpeed04

Hahahaha, double d's Nevermind, joke to myself! Unless of course you know what I am talking about!

Rob

DD's
Old 08-20-2005, 11:06 PM
tommythecat

Just got back in from the first night runs. Ran 3 rounds with c's. It actually has a lot of kick and looks unbelievably cool. Big burst of smoke and flames and its off with a hiss. While the delay is burning it dumps smoke like crazy and then both spent tubes are ejected with a poof. I have to get my brother in law to film it next time. I need to find a larger open flat area if I'm gonna try the d's though.

I did have it get away from me once and I ended up flipping it over and crushed the back of the one tube pretty bad, but these aluminum cigar tubes are soft enough to be straightened out by hand.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Frost_

Total impulse [(N-s) max] of an A-sized engine is only 2.5.

Your C does a bit better at 10 N-s max.

D's makes about 20 N-s max total impulse.

The largest you can buy without a Level 1 amateur rocket license are "G" size engines... They have a total impulse output of 160 N-s. That's right.... 1"G" engine = 8 "D" engines all fired at once... or 64 of your A size engines. [>:][>:]

...So get "G's... even if you just use 1.

---oh yeah, it's new tubes for D+, but you know this.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Snipin_Willy

Do you have any idea how much power difference there is between C's and D's? You should look up the stats on Estes website before moving up.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Frost_

As a matter of fact, the ranges I listed are the max output (total impulse) allowed for the ranges I listed. It is a regulated thing.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 PM
nitroman111

well good luck there tommy!![8D]
Old 08-21-2005, 12:10 AM
badz

Sounds like you need a late night trip up onto I-80
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
thestratcat

pictures!!!

get into the big stuff and strap one of them on..
Old 08-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Nitro_Evader_Basher

I built a rocket out of a cigar tube and put a C6-4 engine in it. Im sure you know but for everyone who dosen't, the first two numbers refer to the power and the last number refers to the number of seconds before the end charge. if the number is 0 then there is no endcharge. I made two cigar rockets. the first one I launched with a b4-0 and it was good, but I wanted to blow up the other one so I used th c6-4 and CA glued it in place. The engine just flew out the end and caused no damage to the tube at all, so im sure you'll be fine. Your pretty responsible of you to start with A engines, I remember building a rocket with my dad when I was young and the box said to use b engine and an A engine for the first flight. Well we used a D engine for the first flight, and even though we
Old 08-21-2005, 10:37 AM
tommythecat

I think the 2 d's is about all my area will allow, I would need a lot more room to go bigger than that. The D's will fint in these tubes with one layer of cardboard peeled off of them. The tubes are quite a bit bigger than they needed to be to hold the a's, b's and c's.

I am going to see if my brother-in-law will film it today or tonight. It is really pretty cool at night. But they do have a really short burn, as any of you who play with model rockets already know.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:45 PM
nitroman111

i dont know that!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.